Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vixen

Is this gona require a workshop??? xxx

Maybe it will...

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
full moon friday night devil ubbangel

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Some one better bring the animal tranquilizers then, and some shackles...

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
ooooh shackles. anyone else think we should make the fancy dress fetish themed?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
You can't drug and shackle Skully eek

Gayle.....!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
there are going be children there, any shakles brought will be conviscated biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
*packs shackles anyway* biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: GothFrogette

there are going be children there, any shakles brought will be conviscated biggrin

Don't believe this woman when she says she'll confiscate them for the sake of the kids... She has other motives...

wink

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I know this may seem like a silly question, but are there showers?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: ahhmay

full moon friday night devil ubbangel

ah good i can get away with just wareing too much black make up and the usual atire then, call it fancy dress and be happy smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Written by: Loves the Circus

Don't believe this woman when she says she'll confiscate them for the sake of the kids... She has other motives...

So true ubblol

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

I know this may seem like a silly question, but are there showers?

No sorry! Lots of sinks but no showers frown Next year tho! hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

Written by: Loves the Circus

So true ubblol

eek me as if biggrin ubblol

and full moon means Skully worshiping aliens eek ubblol hug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Naked?

I might have to not sleep so I can see that one... wink To see if it really does happen, that is... honest!!

Be Water My Friend.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
yay i can dance around like a loon in the full moon (in my costume which is finished wooooot biggrin ) 4 sleeps to go smile

back

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
ah, sinks are ok. At least i wont completely honk of sweat and parrafin smile

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol yes you will - and stale rained on sweat at that - which is why i will be wearing shorts teh entire time tongue

back

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
no no. even if i have to scrub myself for an hour in a little sink, I shall.not.smell tongue tongue

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i found out i have the funds to come biggrin

will there be a single contact staff workshop?

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hang on here, you UK chappies posting?!?! Do you ever sleep???
or is the UK full of people whirring hosiery and discussing hypothetical body odour into the wee hours!?! You wild crazy pommy beasts!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*joins the conversation a bit late...*

Can somebody please make me a:
"He's only like this when he hasn't had a shower" TShirt to wear at this showerless festival?

Because I am truely a grump when I haven't showered and I'd hate for anyone to think it was my nature. Then again, with the American accent people tend to prejudge in that direction anyway. wink

Is there anything else disclosed in this thread that I should know about? I don't currently have the bandwidth to read it all. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
NYC its ok we will make a shower for you.

starts poking holes in the bottom of a bucket

If we get a black bag we can warm you some water for it in the sun.....hmmm........ DUNC.....Do you get sunshine that far up north?

runs off to work before getting slapped

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mikey BoyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

yay i can dance around like a loon in the full moon (in my costume which is finished wooooot biggrin ) 4 sleeps to go smile

4 sleeps I'd forgotten about measuring time like that. I wonder if my boss will accept fix times in that format?
Boss:How long till its fixed ...
Me: Erm... dunno mabye 3 or 4 sleeps.

Was there an answer to the campfire/bar b q question, are we allowed or not? I tried in a moment of insanity ubbloco to do a search of HOP for fire and play thinking they would be good search terms for the question. (Hey its still early and I was up even earlier)

I think I got a list of eek EVERY POST EVER !!!!!!! eek

bounce bounce bounce
bounce2 bounce2

I didnt do it - no one saw me do it - you cant prove anything.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gothfrogette

there are going be children there, any shakles brought will be conviscated

I bought a nice big new tent at the weekend with plenty of room for a dungeon at one end biggrin

Written by: havokist

will there be a single contact staff workshop?

what is this spinning thing you talk about? I keep seeing references on this board to things called poi and staff.........

confused

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
on a shower note, I normally find a nice swimming pool mid festival if its the sort where you can leave the site (ie not glasto, where incidently I've always had a nice shower, electricity, running water etc smile) and go for a swim/shower there. Is there such a thing in shrewsbury?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm considering finding a lonely bucket to pinch to wash my hair in..I hate not being able to wash my hair..

yes yes so about campstoves/BBQ's. I bought a little gas stove and a shiny green kettle on saturday especially for play for tea makage...

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh swimming, i can't swim but like the idea of it..... *Packs bikini for Play just in case

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
eeeek i have no idea where my ticket numbers would be

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
They will have been emailed to you after you booked.

If for some reason you didn't get them, PM me with your contact info (phone, address, email) and your full name. I'll look them up and email you with the numbers.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
UPDATE:

DON"T PM me if you don't have your TICKETS, just PM me if you don't have your TICKET NUMBERS (IE: 1234-56). They would have been emailed to you and you should have writern them on your cheque.

See above post about tickets not being sent out

hug biggrin

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Page: ......