Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
they are uber cool too i so want one, but then i get told off so i want 2 lololol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Yep, thats true there is no point in having one staff, I am sure strugz will agree, and then at least you will have a matching pair for when you do take up doubles if not straight away.... biggrin

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hehehehe i am going to need to seel stuff to get money

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah i have a prefrence for my sticks, all siliconed and chromey.

yeah is it ok to pay on the gate, as i will have worked by then biggrin
if not i can "borrow" the money from my mum :P

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Matty B

Yep, thats true there is no point in having one staff, I am sure strugz will agree, and then at least you will have a matching pair for when you do take up doubles if not straight away.... biggrin

agreed biggrin

good man ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lavatwilight

.....is it ok to pay on the gate, as i will have worked by then biggrin
if not i can "borrow" the money from my mum :P

It shouldn't be a problem if we haven't sold out, but if we have it might be. If you can book and pay beforehand it guarantees nobody gets dissapointed smile

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
can i book then pay on the gate then?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Me

It shouldn't be a problem if we haven't sold out, but if we have it might be. If you can book and pay beforehand it guarantees nobody gets dissapointed

wink

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
but i asked if i could book without paying

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
pm on its way smile

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
im in should be wicked see you all there people smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
thanks dunc, i will send the cheque, just incase then, and ummm, earn some monery very quickly biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
cool, will get to meet rob again, after the once at glasto a long time ago now biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
That list has both Nate and M-O-M I thinks they may be the same person and isn't that person of to the other less important festival . . .so less important I have forgotten the name of it wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
If i pass my driving test on tuesday Im thinking about hiring a car biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Nate is coming to both EJC and PLAY, he's flying in especially biggrin

You might have trouble hiring a car will, I think most car hire places insist you have driven for a year and be over 21. Worth checking out just in case mate hug

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
nate how do you afford to do all of this????????
will be good to see you, its been a lil while,
and whats the bet you can doubles matrix every time by now?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
*Deep breath*

Hello everyone wave

Ok, I'm thinking of coming to Play - because I miss all you guys so much smile

However, there are lots of things standing in the way... so I thought that if I write them all down here, they'll either get sorted, or not. But at least I will have tried.

Oks. Uber/Falmouth has had a rather negative affect on my bank balance, so I shouldn't be going anywhere for the next year... I'm trying to find the cheapest possible option.

Problem 1. My best friends from school are all meeting in Edinburgh over this weekend. The five of us have all grown up together, and they'll be really pissed off if I take myself away for another fire gathering.

2. I may have a gig on Thursday night in Belfast, so I'd have to fly over on Friday, home on Monday.

This means either flying into Birmingham (£75 return) or Bristol (£60) and trying to get a lift out to Play from there.

I think those are the two main problems... another one is that I need to find some tent space?!!

But on the flipside, I'll be working for my ticket, which will be marvellous and means I should be able to talk to people this time biggrin

Sigh. Don't know what to do. Am feeling rather panicky about the lack of money. frown

Just out of interest... does anyone know if UCOF, Helz, Strugz, Coleman, bluecat, Mags, Cantus or Dom - or maybe the French guys - are coming?!! It would be good to see as many of you as possible smile

Getting to the other side smile

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Yeah I just read nates, post in the other thread, oh well that would be me getting it all wrong again then .. ..

Clare, I am sure tent space won't be an issue there is bound to be plenty of people that can either offer space or a spare tent....

Sorry I can't help with the lift I am afraid

I pretty sure UCOF and Strugz are coming to PLAY, not sure about any of the others though . . .

Sounds like whatever you do, you will have a great weekend . . . though of course it would be niceto see you at PLAY smile

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
me and my boy mattheo just heard about this festival. we would be coming from london. anyone interested in rideshare? i don't even know how to get there from here but it sounds like its worth going to.

i imagine there will be lots of fire and spinning present.
will there be people selling staffs?

ciao. any insider help or opinion would be appreciated.

xoxox

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
firepoise, problem 1 is EEEEEAASSSYYYY. bring them along!!! smile

*produces sandwich- is happy*

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
UCOF is indeed coming too (he'll get slapped lots if he doesn't wink )

Also, The Tent is going to be making another appearance so there'll be plenty of tent space available if it's needed biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
FP - Mags is (fingers crossed) as is Cole, Strugz, (not sure about the fraggle) and I will be seeing Julien et al (french guys) next week so will find out if they are........
Bluemog is gonna be there cos he's doing show stuff, as is Strugz n Frodo n 2bags and another rob and lotsa lovelies.......
No idea bout Dom........anyone else?

Tent space = No problem
If you fly into Birmingham then I can give you both a place to stay when you arrive (if you need it) in my lovely home, and we can get onto Sandy/Rich/other helpful people about possibilities of a lift. If not it is about £10 on the train and i will happily happily help you out if needs be biggrin it will be an awesome adventure.

In this way the practical parts are sorted.
However.......
.........if you are having a moral dilemma about friends, then you must clear that in your head first hug

xxx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Claire....

UCOF - Don't know, he'd better be spank
Helz Yes
Strugz Yes
Coleman Yes
Bluecat Yes
Mags maybe probably.
Cantus I hope so but don't know
Dom Yes

smile

Ahmney, PM on the way.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Claire im feeling the pain of an empty bank too frown but the debt will be worth it bounce2

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
w00t i am coming now

altho there is a high chance i may run out of money and food while there and go round asking to be fed and danciing for money

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, my god, you guys completely blow me away.

It overwhelms me the kindness and generosity that is generated among the UK/Ireland spinning peoples.

Is everyone aware (and grateful) of what we are all a part of?!

Wow. bounce bounce bounce biggrin

Anyways, I have just received a PM from a very lovely man which might sort out all my PLAY problems... I shall go for dinner and think about it smile

And fluffster, yep... I am worried about the girls.

But hopefully I'll see them tonight and we'll talk about it. It's just that I miss you all very much and want to see you again soon... this feels like the last opportunity that everyone will be together this year. Hmmm.

Anyways, thanks so much. biggrin

hug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Right, Booked my ticket! biggrin

Will try to send of some payment on Moonday, Mr. Dunc!

bounce bounce2 bounce Yay! I get to see everyone again!!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Heheheheheehe.

I'm coming to Play biggrin

It's with very much thanks and gratitude to the lovely Dom and Drew - thanks lads hug

So Dunc, I shall be arriving sometime on Friday... I'll text you when I arrive so you can let me know where and when you want me biggrin

Take care everyone, and I'll see you all soon

Love
Clare xxx

Page: ......