Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...3435363738...43
Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - 15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at http://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that 25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than 25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete Topic

GothFrogette
GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy
Total posts: 3999
Posted:Written by: .:star:.

hate to break it to you ltc but gothfrogette has two. she was special enough to get two at falmouth tongue

in a non dribbling way of cause biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

GothFrogette
GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy
Total posts: 3999
Posted:Cantus i love you ubblove

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:Written by: Skulduggery

ok I've got you all on the list for new badges/old bages/replacement bages/greedy pig badges.

Greedy Pig Badges?

Yay!!

I get Three!!

*jumps up and down!!*

All in the interest of equality, you understand!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Vixen
Vixen

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3276
Posted:No fair!!! can i have another badge? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:Too late!!

Although you do deserve two at least...

But can't you see? This is what I was aiming at! Everyone will feel left out because they don't have three badges, thus making everyone equal.

I'm doing it for the good of the people. Well, someone has to have more than everyone else, And I took it upon myself to stop you all argueing. Aren't I nice? wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

Glåss
Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation
Total posts: 2523
Posted:Whoot whoot. I've got my arse in gear and I'm comming to play.

And I thought I better think about what I can do to help out,
And I thought I could run some manipulation workshops.
But which ones?
So heres the list of possibles, make your votes and nag me enough and I'll run that one.
(all of them is not the correct answer smile tongue )

I'm definately going to do:
1 Ball Contact - Contact Juggling is not juggling, but it is Easy - This workshop will show you how!
(the whole point of my books!!) for Complete beginners/ up to all levels as there is a lot of new concepts/material.

Then which of the rest do you people want?
1) Musicality with manipulation for any prop - If you give me a sound system for 1.5 hours -Complete beginners/ up to all levels re-run of Ueberpoi with a few improvements and any prop.

2) Possibly a manipulation battle workshop and a battle, but we need a lot of planning to work out whether this is practical. all levels re-run of Ueberpoi.

Or I can run workshops of all levels Beginners - intermediate - advanced in any of these:
3) Staff/ stick contact
4) 1 ball Contact
5) Multiball contact
6) Club Swinging inc snakes
7) 1 to 3 Club Manipulation and juggling

And finally I could do:
8) Body poppin waves
9) 3 ball juggling mixed with contact
10) Miscelaneous manipulations - Coins pens friut elbows etc
11) Poi
12) Isolations with everything
13) Staff/ Stick twirling

Smiles and see you in the sunshine
Drew

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:i vote for numbers 1(ball contact) 2, 3, 9, and 13

can i have a blu brand nadge too?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

tumtum
tumtum

Total posts: 33
Posted:aw man, I wish I could come to this fest, it sounds amazing.

Im hungry!!!

Delete

Mr_Chutney
Mr_Chutney

Tosser
Total posts: 1711
Posted:4) 1 ball Contact
5) Multiball contact
8) Body poppin waves

Those get my vote smile

Delete

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8737
Posted:Ooooh

Numbers 3, 9 and 10 coin manipulation could come in handy on those poor days

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

fluffy napalm fairy
fluffy napalm fairy

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3638
Posted: 1 and 6 and 10

ubbangel

Can you run one on 'how to appear not to have a black eye when in actual fact you look like you've been in a tavern brawl' for the rough fairies amongst us please?

ps - bounce

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Delete

Puresock
Puresock

addict
Total posts: 406
Posted:Hooray for Glass coming to Play! What gear is your arse in?

I'd like to see a body popping workshop, personally. Someone should do this. *looks at Durbs and Glass*

I also vote for elbow manipulation, and intermediate 1 ball contact.

"Take that, math!"

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:8 10 and 12 sound pretty good smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:damn you is slack drew ubblol

in a "i'm sure you decided to come to play bloody ages ago" kind of way.

but i never got my crayons out to draw a flier last weekend so i guess a similar accusation could be levelled at me... hug2

i would love to attend any out of numbers 7, 9, 10 and 12.

number 11 sounds quite good but i'm not sure what its about... does it include the whole lot or just the bits you like? wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:i thought number 11 sounded good too... but noticed noone had mentioned it, so i thought id better keep quiet, incase poi is bad or something confused ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:ooh ooh and number 12 definitely

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted:Written by: Glss

And I thought I could run some manipulation workshops.
But which ones?

biggrin ubbrollsmile biggrin

ubbangel

Go on go on go on smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:Written by: Puresock

I'd like to see a body popping workshop, personally. Someone should do this. *looks at Durbs and Glass*

You mean a bit like the body popping with CJ workshop I'm down for running?

confused

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:Written by: Glss

I'm definately going to do:
1 Ball Contact - Contact Juggling is not juggling, but it is Easy - This workshop will show you how!
(the whole point of my books!!) for Complete beginners/ up to all levels as there is a lot of new concepts/material.

Then which of the rest do you people want?
1) Musicality with manipulation for any prop - If you give me a sound system for 1.5 hours -Complete beginners/ up to all levels re-run of Ueberpoi with a few improvements and any prop.

2) Possibly a manipulation battle workshop and a battle, but we need a lot of planning to work out whether this is practical. all levels re-run of Ueberpoi.

Or I can run workshops of all levels Beginners - intermediate - advanced in any of these:
3) Staff/ stick contact
4) 1 ball Contact
5) Multiball contact
6) Club Swinging inc snakes
7) 1 to 3 Club Manipulation and juggling

And finally I could do:
8) Body poppin waves
10) Miscelaneous manipulations - Coins pens friut elbows etc
11) Poi
12) Isolations with everything

Drew

Homie:

WALK DOWN THE HILL.

biggrin

(Oh, and I'd be down for some poppin' workshops. And maybe a personal glide workshop from Cole. wink )

But mostly I will be sitting at the top of the hill under a shady tree and looking down at all of the cows. smile

Oh, and there will be raveball. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Dr_Molly
Dr_Molly

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2354
Posted:CRUSH IT! biggrin

Drew - no contact girl?

Delete

Glåss
Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation
Total posts: 2523
Posted:CRUSH IT! biggrin

Ahh master NY CityCow, You speak the truth.
Mind you I forgot:

14) Hat Manipulation
15) Contact Girl - probably charlston style
16) sitting on the top of the hill, sunbathing and watching cows workshop

FNF - Black Eye ??!?! eek Eeeeeeep Extreme

So far between the lot of you, you've voted for everything except the club manipulation!! Hmmmm I smell a conspiricy biggrin

Delete

Puresock
Puresock

addict
Total posts: 406
Posted:Written by: Durbs

Written by: Puresock

You mean a bit like the body popping with CJ workshop I'm down for running?
confused

Was that what I said Durbs? Did I say "body popping with CJ"? No! :P

And if you check the site you're not down for running a body popping and CJ workshop at all. Just a CJ one. So there.

Nah, obviously there's that, but body popping without balls is also good, especially for those of us who lack the CJ ability to worry about other parts of their body while doing it smile

"Take that, math!"

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Posted:Trying not to feel like I'm ordering from a chinese restaurant, I'd certainly go for a number 6 smile wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted:oh and Drew - club manipulation would be great too wink

**edited as bovril has a similar mind, but is way faster than me!**

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

Dr_Molly
Dr_Molly

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2354
Posted:15 please

moo wink

Delete

WOFT
Likes trees...
Total posts: 209
Posted:Ummmmm, any chance of a nametag? landed in london a few hours ago, and was several kilometers in the air during the name tag offer frown

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Total posts: 4525
Posted:thanks Skully!!! hug I love badges!! i love badgers too, but i love badges almost as much! hug hug thankx

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Posted:my pirate name is Buttery Ann Marie!! ubblol mm...butter.. unfortunately i dont have a pirate outfit, but there's still time!! When i buy spare tent pegs in town tomorrow i may have to get myself and eyepatch!! I have a dodgy hip so thats halfway to long john silver! rolleyes

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

jo_rhymes
jo_rhymes

Momma Bear
Posted:ubbidea i've had another thought? is anyone bringing guitars down? I really want to bring mine, but i dont fancy carrying it all the way from newbury on 3-4 different trains. I dont know if i can go a weekend without having a good old fashioned sing-song! rolleyes

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Total posts: 5967
Posted:Woohoo biggrin

bounce

Splendid. biggrin

Drew, could you teach me - ermm - everything you've learned in the last 10 years is probably asking a bit too much - so how about Uberpoidancing 101.2?!

Not sure what number on the menu that falls under, so I might just follow you around and learn that way instead.

ubblol

It'll be good to see you mister

hug

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Page: 1...3435363738...43