Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
How about

F amily
O f
R otating
U ber
m aniacs

party? ubbrollsmile

Or.... Don't Panic ....because thats what everyone will be saying to you, Bug about a month before the event as it enters the frantic "make sure everythings sorted phase"

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
urm.. probably best pm me what you were thinking of doing and I'll speak to them.. possibley meeting up with a few of the crew this weekend.. I don't know the prices - sorry.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Fantastic Bug! Do it.bounce2 You know it will be a huge success, and so does everyone else!

I'm not sure I understand the invitations thing though, is it first come first served kinda thing?

If so can I buy mine now? biggrin

And I vote: PLAY
EDITED_BY: StoneT (1093523631)

Mags - watching police torches drawing closer - runs over to his poi:
"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Invitation by name, ticket by nature if you catch my drift wink

No sorry Stone they won't be on sale till at least next year, I got a lot of organising and costing to do first but keep your eyes peeled. And yeah it'll be first come first served once I can be sure of price. When the cheque/cash/whatever clears the ticket will be posted out biggrin

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I've been in contact with Fushion.. I'll be speaking to him over the weekend to find out about the legalities of it as we were discussing via PM.. I'll get back to you with info in the new week.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Custom - Just a thought...

With regards to ticket sales - to save all the hassle of keeping books, waiting for cheques to clear etc etc - You could put up a multi-item, fixed price auction on eBay... Just a thought smile Meh, maybe it wouldn't work - but it would also mean people could pay with a variety of methods.

Perhaps

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
and if you give it a dumb and tandom name..no one will be able to stumble accross it accidentally!

imagine getting ticket touts for this!

biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
If you sell "tickets" on Ebay won't you fall into the trap of it not being a private party and thus have to have all sorts of public liability insurance thingamies? Wasn't that why it had to be invites?

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
wow mate, this sounds like a great plan.
PLAY gets my vote too, that's really the spirit of such events hey?

Just wonder how you might get round over-interest in the idea, if it's invitation only, who and how do you choose to invite? With infire's festival of fiery arts, they got people to perform for the general public and so chose people from footage they submitted, but this is surely quite a different affair.... just something to think about.

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
if this happens it will surely be very very very coool, much respect for even coming up with this idea and even thinking about doing something about it bug. hug

and i agree PLAY is a good name.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Not meaning to be too negative but a few questions you might need to ask yourself:

What is my target audience for this? It appears to be teenage and early twenties spinners only. You mention all types of jugglers but I know many jugglers who'd read this thread and not find it at all appealing.
How can I let my target audience know it's on considering a couple of poi websites would result in a limited turn out mainly focused on poi and staff.
What are you providing that is similar or different to the other juggling and fire conventions that happen.
How are you distinguished from the FireToys gathering?
This great burst of enthusiasm now - how will this realistically transform into ticket sales and attendance. Jugglers/spinning types are notoriously sketchy about planning.

That's all I can think about for now, but basically I'm saying talking about it and getting enthusiastic is great, but as I'm sure you know realism and truly amazing organisation and forward planning is necessary to make an event work.

Good luck!

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
good job Bugs real job title is "planner" then really! wink

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Dom....you're not negative, those are great points! thankx

Laura...it'l be first come first served. They will merely be titled invitation to avoid some potential trouble should it occur.

I'll post more in a bit -so much to reply to already! bounce biggrin I'm supposed to be getting ready for work and should be clocking in in abuot 20 minutes and haven't even dressed or brushed my teeth yet!! eek

*runs*

Ah and PLAY looks like it's getting the winning vote!

PLAY Festival 2005 smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*realises how sad that last post makes me look :rollseyes*

so Dom to answer a few points you raised (cheers!)......

Target Audience - Any object manipulator that will come. Problem I have is spread the word to far and it's to many folks to little and I lower the range of the folk coming. I think I can encourage a few staffers, double staffers jugglers, cj-ers, diabloists, devil stickers and maybe other stuff too, if people want it just shout and I'll do my best to get whatever it is there. Word of mouth will be very strong for this (I hope!) and most jugglers I know mix with poi folk and staffers day to day.
I guess it may become more poi orientated but that's not much surprise as it seems to be the biggest, certainly fastest growing art at the moment. But I can only make this a success if I listen to the people and get what's wanted so I'll be doing my utmost to offer a truly spread range of skills.
I intend to put it into a juggling message board too and change the orientation of the promotion too. Not that I have official promotion as currently this thread is it, apart from spherculism.
promotion more promotion will come for sure tho culminating in a single website instead of threads etc, I have literally thought this up in the past couple weeks so it's still very young and here is where I broke the news as it were. As it increases in line with my plans I'm sure (hope!) it will interest all object manipulators especially once the website is up.

age range I really want to have ALL ages possible here, from child to pensioner. That's why I'm not trying to make it sound like a rave or free party or something. There will be music and entertainment of course but the focus will remain on the arts. Especially with the masses of workshops I have planned wink

I am limited with the age range a little as said above promotion will most likely be word of mouth and interent forums, some social circle don't cross over very much but at the Falmouth meets we had folk from I think 10 to 35ish. I want to expand this as much as possible.

uniqueness I have no idea, never been to anything formal like this so I'm starting fresh. Hopefully this will stop me following a recognised 'trend' and help me to be unique through what I offer. A personal smaller sized venue, lower amount of attendees (I think 200 and a few helpers is a good start for the first one at least) huge amount of workshops and great atmosphere. As for the firetoys gathering I have no idea I didn't go. If it was a success then I hope mine is just as good biggrin

initial enthusiasm I don't expect this enthusiasm to continue straight through to the day the doors open, all I'm looking for now is ideas, get a taste of how popular the idea is and then retreat to my room to draw up plans, cost it out, organise and come back with formal promotion, title, "logo", web site, price and all offerings to suit biggrin

Funny what you should mention that last paragraph Dom, I am a realist and as rossco said work as a planner, not in this industry but I already have my plan in mind and have help form various people already filling me in on the tips of the trade biggrin This won't be a solo effort by a long way, I will merely be the face of it I think.

Thanks again for the questions Dom hug if anyone has anything to say like that post it as soon as you like! I really wanna give the scene something to cherish, more than a mere gathering but less than an impersonal over sized festival. It's all about the quality baby wink

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
'PLAY' sounds wicked to me cool
Psytrance ditto bounce
Could help with website/design ubbloco
Happy to do Workshops juggle weavesmiley

Mike biggrin

----
Play Lazily All Year
Perform Loops Around You

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
if you know any fresh/young/new bands they'll blatently play for free
it sounds like a great idea-something to learn at and have fun At the same time!!
and i like PLAY

in state of metamorphosis

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
If you want to find new unsigned bands that may play for free just to get a bit of promo try this site. You can check out what they sound like. There are all styles there so you can get a mix.

It might also help those that want sound tracks for their video clips. Unsigned people/bands are more likely to give you permission to use their music for free.

Well its just an idea...... biggrin

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Right. This all sounds super wonderful. I know several excellent bands that we could look into booking. One band (Bark) there singer does contact while onstage. Bands of course will want paying don't forget.

Otherwise i'm totally up for it. A spinning/manipulating festival sounds like an amazing idea. Tell me where and when and i'll see if my editor will pay my expenses to go. wink

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I got a few bands lined up who are willing to offer their services for cost so that's good! Nothing like priorities.....no venue yet but I got entertainment sorted! ubblol I got DJ's through to ole timey blues and everything in between so far but I much like the sound of this contact singer dude! Details please mags biggrin

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
psy trance weve gotta have it!!!

well theres my input!! but i will be there. and if u need help f*cking things up, ill help!

passing through, this world still lives.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
also... on a happier note...

i know that im not toattly unique, and i do most circus arts,

juggling, staff, double staff, poi, diablo, clubs.... u know, so i really think that we can offer a varied base of people there without to much trouble!!

and ill bring my bro, hes only 11 now though!! smile yeah,
can i bring my gran!?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
well at least your bro is young enough to get in for free wink

I'll be contacting peeps over the next few weeks (months?) as plans start to grow regarding the help I need. Thanks for all the offers of help everyone, the more help I have and ideas put forward the better this will be biggrin

As for the dreaded psy trance....I hate it but if it's what people want it'll be there, maybe only as a small part but it'll be there.

Custom *bows over to public pressure* Bug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Will I be able to wander around naked all the time please?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Only if you have "look but don't touch" inked on your chest and butt!

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
can i join u!

im an experinced and established naked spinner, as is my glamourus assistant vixen

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
well, having seen Fro naked, Vixen virtually naked and Jon almost naked one morning (you don't wanna know) I'd say you're all banned apart from Vix who will have to wear kiss-me-for-a-pound T-shirt to raise funds for PLAY!!

Brilliant biggrin

Jurassic Mikestranger
11 posts

Posted:
Still need any bands to play? My band plays Ska.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
sounds like a great idea, all i know is a few DJ's soz i cant help anymore

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Thanks Mike, I'll be adding you to the list biggrin

If it takes me a while to get back in touch with anyone don't worry all offers are added to the list biggrin

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
(i'd like some psy trance too, if not for me then for the bopping grannies-frodo, get the whole flock down (is there a flock of grannies-there's always a couple following each other around here) and we'll have a barrel)

in state of metamorphosis

Page: ...