Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Woo. Tickets booked. Cheque in the Post in the morning. Play here we come!!!

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Dunc... if you email me an A4 size version of that poster I'll put it up in the circus school and other such places.

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: skullduggery

Ok I now have a band of "Tent Sluts"

well, at least the tent sluts at this festival are all female, makes a pleasent change for the usual scary tramps I meet at festivals, whom I hafta try really hard between the hours of 2am and 4am to make sure they don't follow me back to my tent cause all they bought with them was a 24 pack of stella that they drunk single handedly during the first day eek

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

You go to the wrong festivals tongue

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: durbs

I'm down for an install in Woodmansterne that day at 9.00am.

I've seen you working. You stand round wearing a hi-vis and chatting. You could delegate someone else to do that and no one would notice.

Written by: aimee

I was due to be going to Scotland the weekend of PLAY, but the plane company I was flying with went tits up.

Sooo... now I have £100 going spare.

Good you can give me a tenner then. I'll swap it for a painting if you're not feeling that generous.....

Written by: Ed

every now and again, a person will suddenly change to 5/4, or 3/4.

can a person go into 12/8 time, or is that just being naughty?

Written by: Strugz

i went home last night and said to my mum, am i as important as durbs..

But rest assured, young Strugnell, you have better hair... Although, I have to say, Durbin wins out in the flumper jumper stakes.... tongue wink

Meh

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

biggrin

Dunc... if you email me an A4 size version of that poster I'll put it up in the circus school and other such places.

biggrin

There will be an A4 version on the site in the gallery as soon as I can get it to stop saying "error" whenever I try to upload it. In the meantime there are two images on there to print off double sided and cut in half so they're A5 flyers.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cantus

Written by: Ed

every now and again, a person will suddenly change to 5/4, or 3/4.

can a person go into 12/8 time, or is that just being naughty?

Yep - because 12/8 is the same as 4/4 with a triplet quarter note pulse (It can be counted 1-2-3 2-2-3 3-2-3 4-2-3)
ubbangel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ubertent is once again hoping to house as many tent sluts as it can...

ubbangel

that should be everyone on the list actually bounce

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
DRUMMING GEEKS! offtopic

tongue

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
In my defence, I'm not really a drumming geek. I'd like to be, but I don't know *that* much, compared to someone like, for exaample, Durbs.

I know the basics and that's about it.

offtopic

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

Ubertent is once again hoping to house as many tent sluts as it can...

ubbangel

that should be everyone on the list actually bounce

clap Yeah!

Gayle.....!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

You think you can handle us all Jon?!

Ok, stopping random innuendo now.

Dunc... I'll print off some of those A5 flyers to get started anyways.

Take care and many hugs to George too hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
All five of you at once? umm

I can try...
ubbangel

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Can we make that six please wink

Bammy
x

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Six!
biggrin

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
5.... im taking my ickle tent. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
frown

Five is still a good number.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
eek biggrin now i am even more uberly excited ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: firepoise

Written by: flid

well, at least the tent sluts at this festival are all female, makes a pleasent change for the usual scary tramps I meet at festivals

You go to the wrong festivals lol

I just suddenly had a flashback to the traumatic experience I had sharing a bed with kiwibex and pink? at kent last year...... 4am: "flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me.........." 5am: "flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me.........." 6am: "flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me. flid, go and buy some fags for me.........." umm

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I have a spare tent if anyone would like to borrow it wink wink nudge, its 4 birth, ish.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
The question is FLid... did you do it? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
hell no. Thankfully by about 6am on Sunday morning she'd got bored of that and went around waking everyone else up instead.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, sorry, posted too late... glad to hear you didn't go fetch though.
EDITED_BY: Firepoise (1123156268)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Jemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmma: Shouldnt you be offering that space to Minty? umm

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
joooooooooooooooonny: shouldn't you be wondering why exactly jemma has a spare tent? rolleyes

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh... nice pink leaflet smile

I think i might be a tent slut too...
Ok, i know I'm ALWAYS a tent slut. Never owned a tent of my own!!

But i may have space sorted, may not.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK so let me catch up here... a year or so Dunc had the idea to make a Festival and now it's happening?

Wicked!
Nice one Dunc!! ubblol clap

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
ubblol Thats more or less it! The power of dreams, Eh?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Ok, the A4 Flyer is now uploaded to the PLAY gallery

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'd like to think me and im will be in one of my tents, and I have two tents !Which means I have a spare tent that will be filled with spare hoppers ubblol

Ok who needs space put your hand up, or pm me wink

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Page: ......