Page:
sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
...has anyone managed to crack into the world of (painless) behind the back poi.I'm not talking butterflies, but full on weave/train and chicken oriental moves.......and what type of fire poi are best for this (wires (can't believe I nearly wrote whips!! blush ) /chains/short/long).. Clues anyone?! smile

PoiElfBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Hey!
Speaking as someone who has just cracked btb 3 beat weave, my advice to anyonme trying it is to try the wrists movements without the poi first, then try it with them with your eyes shut. I worked for me...o and try it with the lightest, shortest poi youve got first!! I had two weeks of briused legs and only got the hang of it when i tried lighter poi, lol, common sense really.
Helz

"Mmm... I'm sure I had a tail this moring, now I've got legs!"

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Also- anyone wishing to move to 5bt BTB weaves should note that it really helps to accentuate the turns of the body along with adding the extra wrist-crossed beats- I finally cracked reverse BTB 5bt this way the othe night biggrin

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Been working on BTB butterfly weaves... it's like learning them all over again. I figured they would be easy if you could do the BTB chase and most butterfly weave combos but I'm having no luck so far....

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Can't say I've tried them yet, but now I'm getting back into BTB stuff I''ll have a crack- let us know if you have any epoiphanies MT smile

Chut

CanadainK9newbie
4 posts

Posted:
Hey there folks,

I am hoping to refresh the question of stretches for BTB poi (weaves in particular). I feel that my BTB stuff would be far better with just a wee bit of extra flexibility.

As for the male body bit - I'm 6'3 with shoulders about as broad as they get. If I can get around them anyone can. That being said, perhaps wee little people may have an edge on us big foks smile.
Those wondering how to get into them may wish to push themselves a bit less. You'll get there, it just takes time. Someone once posted on here (forget who) that it's good to start with btb butterfly and then move on. For me, one I had the BTB butterfly down the weave was easy. I'm just working on getting to the point where I don't wack my head all the time.spank

Cheers smile
weavesmileyExpat Canadian weavesmiley

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
mk, what do you all call forward and reverse behind the back? i'd consider going from a reverse swing into a btb weave a forward weave, because from the that point of view, the poi are going forward. i dunno, mabey i'm just silly

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If you go from a reverse weave in front of you to BTB that's a reverse BTB weave - the poi haven't changed directions after all.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: Whiffle Squeek

oh and also, it helps if you bend over a lot...

dunno why, but it does...

because when you bend over you point your amrs behind you rather than at the floor behind you... that is if you bend over forward... if you bend over backwards, your just asking for back pain..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I know this sounds stupid but i learn all the behind the back moves standing on a chair.....my reasonning!.......you need relatively long strings for behind the back stuff to work nicely but when you are beginning, you often spend a lot of time hitting the floor. if you start standing on a chair then you can master the actual moves quicker with the extra space around you

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
i was going to post here, but instead im going to go outside and actually try to crack those pesky btb weaves

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

fire puppyBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
how about the btb ttn

the Only good way to quit smoking is to cut your arms off, but then how would you drink coffee?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I finally got the hang of both forwards and reverse btb weave I'm now I'm working on constant turning (I think someone called it around the world). This is giving me trouble. Do I turn towards or away from the side with the poi are on? And roughly when?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
ditto

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
lol, i just cracked the forwards one the other night [thanks ben!! smile], still have to practice it, *thinks* but im pretty sure you turn on the side with the poi. yes.. and then they cross over to the other side in the other direction. that makes sense. so i presume it would be the same for btb. now for btb...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
first someone point me in the direction of what a butterfly weave is please...i'm sure there is a thread someplace
second
Ok the whole btb weave thing. It’s not that I don’t have the flexibility in my shoulders. I have done the stick thing where you practice with ladle handles and stuff. I have done the one hand at a time thing. But it just doesn’t work. I can’t even get my head to wrap around the figure 8 btb. I have gotten a sort of wave down, I think. Alternating hands on circle at the side and one btb. But I cannot get the coordination down. I have read the posts and tried the majority of the suggestions
I need serious help, Y’all

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
information on the butterfly weave can be found in page one of the 'Helpful Advice Threads' thread at the top of the forum. The BTB weave was a mad move to learn for me. I only got it to work fairly recently (after about a year and a half of spinning), by practising in little sessions once every so often. Some things are worth waiting for..

Keep practising and good luck smile

as for turning: learning BTB waistwraps helps a lot!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
It took me about a week to learn the forward btb weave, I first worked on swinging them together behind my back and then seperating my hands when I could do that, but im still struggling with the reverse, I just get so worried when I see the poi flying towards my face!

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sammie

...has anyone managed to crack into the world of (painless) behind the back poi.
I'm not talking butterflies, but full on weave/train and chicken oriental moves....

What's a chicken oriental move
Non-Https Image Link
? confused

DevakasiSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
I saw a Pupdawg video and have been trying to watch it over and over. It's not so old, and he moves fluidly between forwards weave into btb weave. I can get it now for just a bit, then I start to hit myself.

Namaste,
Devakasi (Divinity Shining)

HilarySILVER Member
59 posts

Posted:
One way is to tuck your hand in by your opposite hip...this makes it a bit neater.
Bend your knee when the poi is coming up by that side.
This stops it catching your heel and hitting you in the back of the Head!!***
Also if you can do a backwards weave in front. Practice doing it as an extended weave..then bring one hand behind to go to opposite hip, then the other to follow....

it is basically the backwards weave...behind your back!!!

Good luck!!!

Hilary

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ry

Written by: sammie

...has anyone managed to crack into the world of (painless) behind the back poi.
I'm not talking butterflies, but full on weave/train and chicken oriental moves....

What's a chicken oriental move
Non-Https Image Link
? confused

my BTB exploded lately. there's almost nothing i can do in front that i can't do at least for a few beats BTB --

i finally got clean entries on BTB butterfly buzzsaw tangle turns (and the matching thru-wraps. my entry happens to start with a waistwrap..) as of last week... umm. i can do most of my wrap sequences and even the move where you weave tangle (one or more "beats") and then double bicep wrap BTB forward and reverse before untangling. the exit keeps wanting to come out inverted tho, which i don't have clean, but i try not to let it go there anyways.

i still don't think i have much room to brag with so many glowstickers out there doing most of this cleaner and longer, but it's impressive enough to try most of this on fire. wink
EDITED_BY: Dut (1145303457)

buggleberry_fairySILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
altho cannot manage to do btb 3bt weave - can crappily do 2 bt includin an eye whack and the beautiful tangling.

but iv found that if doin it with left 1st and right followin then chantin 'just follow the left, just follow the left...' helps me to move my right hand in the right way (my right hand bein the dud hand)
EDITED_BY: buggleberry_fairy (1145821157)

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

Page: