AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm wondering who out there does fire only in your performances and who adds other media. I'm not really talking about fire and UV, per se. I mean spinning with acrobatics or theater or clowning. What other disciplines do you bring in?Diana

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hi diana,we're working on fighting routines - all of us have a bit of martial arts in various disciplines - we do kicks, ducks, rolls etc. and we are working on throwing the staves, mock-sweeping each others feet and mock staff fighting. practice at the mo, but we are also thinking of clowning and fire-puppets.as far as media is concerned, we have experimented with ribbons by day and uv by night, a friend of ours is very talented with body painting so we are planning a big UV piece with glowsticks and UV body paint, though i'm sure if bish reads this he's gonna say 'you aint puttin any of that makeup crap on me' sigh. some suffer for art, ne?cheerioO_O

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
... unicycling, twirling on unicyles, working on a double unicycle/twirl act, acrobalances, hmm I guess you could say mild forms of 'clowning' e.g. botching up a simple trick in a funny way to get laughs and whistles from the crowd. hmm... the occasional one-handed cartwheel (with fire) as well. its all good.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Because we have seperate styles of shows I will break the contents down for you from there.For Ren Faires we use alot of comedy, banter, audience participation, interactive improvisational theater, basic acrobatics (rolls and wheels), singing and Bohdran playing. I also tuck four silk scarves in my costume and juggle them when I pull them out to wipe my brow when I am "stressed". I used my flags to "dust" people off, then play up losing control of them to the wind. I have pouches with fairy giggles (clear marbles) and dream stones (flat fish tank stones) that I tell give to children and tell them the stories I wrote to go with them.That way they have a "safe" memento of their day, and they remember the "fire lady" that gave it to them.For S&M shows we used whips, cat o nine tails and dominatrix things when talking with audience.For concerts it's staged theatrics like fighting, body paints and alot of choreography.I would like to add here that my training is actually extensive in theater. I hold an Associates of Arts in theater including a certificate in costume and make-up design, a certificate in interactive theater, and a certificate in stage fighting.I also have training in dance and some gymnastics.I outline, design, manage and direct not only what Pyromorph does but also manage my friends juggling duo and the band we (the two of us at Pyromorph and my two juggling friends) have. For me this is a passion.I wish I could express more the many, many dimensions that theater and fire can share but I fear I have bored you out of your skull!Blessings!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 March 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
weii i dont do it all the time but i(we) have been known to use things like diablo, normal devil sticks, juggling, stiltwalkingand some acrobatics befor or at the beginning of the show if the light is still hanging around and it isnt dark enough, it all depends whats on hand(cos i can sometimes be forgetfull and leave my diablo at home) and what kind of audience we are playing to. i usualy take all this stuff but i judge the audience before i start say juggling or diabloing...------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...hmmm i wonder if flirting counts as another discipline??? confusedSimos

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
When it comes to you Simos, flirting is an art form not a discipline! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
thanx sweetness wink - i'll take that as a compliment grinhappy swinging,Simos

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Fire and dramatics. Am making a three pronged fire tridant so I do a devil in an outfit running around Uk festivals blowing fire everywhere. by the way is anyone doning any festivels this year and want to hoo up with ssomeone to do fire. If so give me a shout.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe: