PyroSomatic Stoneynewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I'm out of things that i can do with my poi, i dont think i'm flexable enough to do the behind the back stuff, so i'm doing 5 beat weave, can anyone give me any ideas or tips.
Any other moves i can try????????????

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
What other moves do you know already?

Have you tried hyperloops? One handed stuff?

PyroSomatic Stoneynewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hyperloops?????
and what do you mean by one handed stuff. i'm not being stupid.

I know all of the basics, i can do all of the stuff in the lessons on here except for the behind the back stuff and the 5 beat weave. i've being doing poi for fairly long time but but i'm just getting back into it

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Defintely not stupid...please don't think I was insinuating that!!!!!!

One handed stuff is probably easier for me to explain than hyperloops (simply cause I don't even have the hang of hyperloops yet) but if you do a search on hyperloops there are heaps of topics about them that may be able to explain them for you.

One handed things like the one handed butterfly the one handed weave...is simply putting the two poin into one handed and spinning continuously that way.

For the one handed butterfly I start out with the two handed butterfly and then when I get into a smooth rythm I move one of the chains into the other hand so now they are both in the one hand.

Remember the rule with butterfly is always one above and in front...so make sure you position your hands very carefully.

I think the one handed buttefly is in the tutorials which may give you a better idea of how the hands are positioned.

Hope that was some help.

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
I saw someone do the one handed butterfly last night. Poor woman; i spent the whole night watching her. No wonder she put the poi down biggrin

as for BTB stuff, I'd say try it again. I don't consider myself overly flexible, but i can do it. It just takes practice, and it's harder than infront stuff, so it WILL take longer to learn.

*goes to play with one handed butterfly*

smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
you could go Here for really good video lessons and also try cruzing round the poi moves forum and video forums here too. There's lots in there you can find that no doubt you haven't found yet if you're bored.

As for one handed....if you can do it with two hands mostly of it you can do with one. Weaves 3/4/5+ bt more. Butterflys and sort of variations. Let your imagination run riot! smile

And don't forget for each move you can do it forwards, backwards, from left to right and from right to left, behind your back and above your head too. Then you can invert it aswell so each move can actually be about 8 different moves if you practice enough.

As the behind the back thing, it's always hard to start with cuz your body just isn't used to bending that far or even that way so give it time, get a few bruises and nail it in a few weeks if you can be bothered.

You could always just put them away, watch tv, eat junk food and get fat wink

Where abouts are you? Maybe there are more folks in your area who you could meet up with?

And to be honest, if you can really do all the moves here cept BTB and 5bt how can you possibly be bored? You must be pretty good! The full moves list here is massive.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ok, somoene's gonna kill me for this, but...

(sing mentally with the voice of Dory from Finding Nemo in your head - do not do this out loud!!!)

What do we do when we're stuck in a rut?

Just keep spinning

Just keep spinning

Spinning, spinning

Just keep spinning

< repeat ad nauseum >

It will work itself out. watch some videos, watch other spinners, and just keep spinning.

I've hit half a dozen platues in the last 4 and a half years of spinning. Eventually they all evolve. Just keep spinning. weavesmiley

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
weavesmileyTap in isolations and hyperloops into the search thingy on the this site and you'll find enough to keep you busy until christmass. I've made a wee list list of poi moves if you fancy a peek. But if you are going to get into the really complicated stuff your gonna have to jump deep into all the old poi move theads.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Start do stretching excercises to get btb stuff.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Mot........ I LOVE YOU! Thank you for that link! hug ubblove hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
learn everything you know backwards.. should keep you busy if you've not already done so..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
...writing, eating, talking - all alot harder backwards
wink

[/sarcastic mode]
hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Like Stix* said, learn all the moves you know backwards. More than that: learn them leading with your right and with your left, turning both right and left, low and high, then try it horizontal. Be able to move fluidly between all of these possibilities with all your moves. Find ways to transition between the move families with or without breaking your planes: i.e. wraps or pendulums (stalls). Incorporate a dancing or martial arts style. Try out some staff, devil stick, meteor, or other apparatus - you'll be surprised the new ways you learn to move.

peace ubblove biggrin

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
noones said throws yet... let go, see what happens.

theres enough throws to keep you happy if thats all you ever did.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
tahw? uoy naem uoy t'nod wonk woh ot od taht? eek

rolleyes

hug

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: oli

theres enough throws to keep you happy if thats all you ever did.

you're not wrong oli juggle

wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood