Forums > Social Discussion > Saw something great last night

Login/Join to Participate

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
(sorry if this should be in chat... I couldn't decide)

I was just wondering if anyone else in the UK saw the BBC2 film Control Room last night?

It was amazing... Jehane Noujaim (a documentary filmmaker), based herself with the Al-Jazeera news network at the outset of the war in Iraq and Control Room was the result...

It was an incredible account of the war from the people who were there... we all knew that the allied media reports at the time were misinformed and manipulated, but as I don't have Sky, I couldn't get Al-Jazeera myself. This was the first time I (and I suspect many others) and actually seen an Iraqi response to the attacks.

When the US entered Baghdad we saw some random people on the street cheering, but I guessed at the time that was probably faked.

This was a very powerful film, especially at its conclusion when American troops killed an Al-Jazeera journalist then said 'they were in the wrong place - they shouldn't have been there'. The effect was that Iraqi people stopped talking to their own news network out of fear it would bring down an airstrike from the US.

These reporters had to watch the 'fall of Baghdad' (which, the film said, was in fact a group of about 30 hired men the US brought with them to pull down the statue of Saddam!!) via Fox and CNN in their newsroom because their correspondents had been chased from towns and cities.

My god, the corruption and abuse of power is so blatant!!! Have the US government no shame?! What I would give to see Bush and his cohorts as they watch this film, and others like it, and then demand they explain themselves and their actions!

(Taking a breath). Ok, I accept I already held a negative opinion of the US government before I watched this film... but surely if people would just watch films like this for themselves it would give them a stronger basis from which to form their own opinion.

Bah. Ok. Stopping now. But I would like to know if anyone else watched the film.

rolleyes

(Just as an aside and definitely more fitting for another forum, I also watched the V festival on Channel 4 last night... they had some 'roving reporter' (who looked about 17 and dragged off the streets) wandering about interviewing 'celebs'. The guy was arrogant, but jeeasus, he was direct. After Amy Winehouse (some new singer) was talking utter crap for a couple of minutes, he looked at her and said "wow, your eyes are really dilated". Then, he asked Basement Jaxx if they had any drugs and could they give him some, cos that's what festivals are all about. Cat Deely, back in the studio bit, looked like she was ready to kill him. It was a bit more direct than your average broadcast. Funny at the time.)

Take care xx

Getting to the other side smile

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
didnt that movie get an oscar or something? it sounds really amazing, im to the point thought that most of the things people could tell me about the horrible corruption within the american government wouldnt shock me much

i said to someone the other day, what is the one thing that our generation is horrible drastically wrong about? it would probaly be our trust in government

peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello Lyra,
I'm not sure if it won an Oscar... it was released this year and was shown as part of the BBC2 Storyville section.

I highly recommend it, if you get a chance to see it.

Anyways, Mags T Jedi suggested I check out this website... www.bushflash.com...

And this is a section of it that applies to the 'horrible corruption within government not shocking you'

Take care
xx

UPDATE DAY: AUGUST 19, 2004

Okay- well- a few months ago, the onion featured an article about democrats coming down with "outrage fatigue." They described, in their own inimitable way, how the continuous stream of idiocy that has been issuing forth from washington since Bush stole office has just worn folks like me out.

I mean, at first, it was easy- you wake up, every day, check the headlines, and enjoy getting angry enough to go out and get things done.

Fast forward a few months- same routine, but now, it's become commonplace- Bush tells "jokes" about not being able to find WMDs in Iraq, effectively urinating on our collective intelligence, and the sacrifices of those who have died in Iraq. You still get angry, and do your best, but it just ain't like it was, before...

Fast forward again- you've been offended, day after day, for almost four years.

You check the headlines- Bush's operatives begin a national program of voter disenfranchisement, like the one that delivered Florida for him, back in 2000- outrageous- but no more outrageous than just about everything he's done.

Cheney blurts out the "F" word on the floor of the US congress, and it's ignored by the media, while they waste hours airing pundits arguing whether Kerry threw his Medals, or his Ribbons. Again, idiotic, base, and foolish, but hell- I've seen it a million times before.

After a while, you just can't be offended anymore- you know what is going on is wrong, horrible, and has to be stopped, but you just don't "feel the burn" like you used to.

It's sorta like- well- imagine, if, upon every day's awakening, you could expect a steroid-inflated whacko with steel-toed boots to kick you in the crotch, ten times.

The first few times, it hurts like crazy, and you feel like you want to lay a huge wad of pain on the person responsible.

After a few weeks, after your wedding tackle has been turned into a swollen mess, you still resent the daily humiliating experience, and feel the anger. But, you start to accept the daily offence, as a matter of routine.

A while later, you're up at the crack of dawn, and are waiting for mongo to come in and deliver those ten daily strokes to your goolies, long before he bothers to show up.

You're still very much aware of the injustice, the pain, and can't get over the feeling that something is seriously WRONG. However- after going through it for so long, you just accept it.

And that is the most insidious factor of the Bush administration, yet. As the election draws near, people have become so desensitized to the daily doses of idiocy, treason, and outright lawlessness that pour out of washington, under Bush the second, and you just ACCEPT it- because every last strip of decency has already been stripped away from the institutions we once held in high respect.

Our government has been stolen, our "president" is a self-serving idiot, advancing the agenda of a cabal of PNAC freaks and religious whackos that would make Darth Vader green with jealousy of their evil. The poor are shat upon, kids are denied education, firehouses and police stations are shutting down. The states are all close to bankruptcy. Tens of thousands are being stripped from the voter roles, illegally. The list goes on, and on, and on....

The Bush administration has been inflicting the unthinkable upon us for long enough, that our whole sense of values has become warped, to the point that a great number among us will accept ANYTHING.

If Cheney was caught on camera, tomorrow, having sex with a crack in the bricks of the washington monument- Fox wouldn't cover it- and if it did get put on TV, 50% of america would just say it was a "Liberal plot to undermine our war on terror."

If Bush were filmed evacuating his bowels into the bulletproof glass case that houses the constitution on display in the national archives, Robert Novak would decry the liberal media for poking their lenses into the "president's" most private moment, and Fox Viewers would ask "why are these anti-american bush-haters so worked up over a piece of paper?"

If Ashcroft were caught emulating Abraham's sacrifice of his son, using a blow-up sex-doll, that, upon later inspection, contained his semen in its mouth orifice, Right-wingers would defend it, saying that anyone who criticized the act was a "hater of christianity", and the other news networks would fold, under pressure.

These are truly insane times, in this country. The old saying goes- "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"- but lemme tell ya- sometimes, I just wish these poor blind freaks would wander off a cliff, so I could get back to my comfy couch, and forget they ever existed.

It's just damned hard to actually care, sometimes....

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
oh that is bloody brilliant!!!! and so true, with bush, its: id laugh if it wasent just so sad

how do you make fun of a president who makes fun of himself? he does all the work for you!!!

on the subject of bush i have three things to say;

1 WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO OSAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 THIS GUY CHOKED ON A PRETZEL!!!!!!!!!

3 HE WANTED TO GO TO MARS!!!!!!!! we cant get this planent together!!!!!! apparently its not enough to try to conquer to world, youve got to go for the solar system!!!!!

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

The sad thing is it is becoming more obvious by the day that Iran will be the next target if this government stays in office.

Has anyone noticed the increased suggestion of 'suspicious activity' going on in that country - sadly expected in pre-election time...?!

And does anyone believe it is just a coincidence that they have suddenly found an Israeli spy in the US government? And has this surprised anybody?!!

(Sorry I only used one source, am in a rush, but you will find the same stories on every mainstream news agency - and unfortunately these are the ones that reach the electorate)

Getting the fear started:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3929369.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3556504.stm

Israel denies claims:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3607060.stm

https://www.cnn.com/2004/US/08/28/fbi.spy/index.html

To see where US media attention is focused:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3609312.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3600200.stm

Advice to the new Venezulan president:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3607126.stm

Support for Bush:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3606634.stm

Take care xx

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
What pisses me off the most at the moment is that they are actually saying that they might delay the elections so "the terrorists don't decide the results" or some bull like that-I can't even say how much it scares me that his supporters don't see that as a pathetic attempt to hold power as long as posible, because he knows people hate him and will do as much as possible to get him the hell out of office.
If he wins again, can I move in with somebody in New Zealand?

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
New Zealand is one of the only governments in the world with a Rasta MP - Nandor Tanczcos, the hardest working member of parliament in the world! biggrin

(lol, just thought I'd share)

It's hard to gauge the levels of Bush-support/opposition when you're not in the US, but my fireman friend in NY reckons there is a very good chance of Bush being reelected.

Apparently, voters see him as the only real option during this 'time of war'. Also, voters believe that at least they can see Bush's gaffs, whereas Kerry probably just hides it better.

Along with Iran, I'm praying he doesn't get back in. Those who can vote should, those who can't, should encourage those who can.

xx

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
The thing is we know Bush is dumb, but we (I at least) don't trust Kerry at all..

Most of the "Kerry" people that I know aren't really "Pro Kerry", he's just their only option since they're so Anti-Bush

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't it be scary if there was suddenly another american revolution? Make another form of government. What's that? Left wing. Oh no no! footinmouth

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
how good is this?? oz is going to the polls in october!! maybe now we can finally get rid of the silly old fart who is currently running the country!!!!
*sigh*
i can only hope...

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
But what's the alternative?

(unfortunately I can't remember enough about the opposition in Oz to comment).

It seems America, Australia and the UK have another thing in common... no politician worthy of the vote.

xx

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
all the major parties here suck...which is proving very problematic!!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
whats worse, is if you speak up and say something, all someone has to do is accuse you of being "for the terrorists" and you're pretty much done

BTW; being around the city for the start of the RNC

MASSIVE PROTESTS...i wonder why...the police estimation was of 100,000 protesters, organizers figured closer to 400,000

one of the most poignant images was of protesters carrying flag draped coffins..just a sea of them, went on and on

the bike messengers decided to block traffic with their bicycles; when the cops came to arrest them, they arrested innocent onlookers as well (but left the bikes out)

and i'm sorry, but the people that rappelled down The Plaza Hotel to unfurl a banner that in effect said:
<-----Bush
Truth----->

were bloody brilliant..and when because cop fell through a skylite/window to get them down, they're being charged with assault..wtf?

protesters weren't allowed gather in central park because "it would damage the lawn"

I'm sorry if i don't feel any safer living in this fantastic country...not like joe schmo in nebraska who doesn't encounter cops with m-16's when he travels (no offense)

I actually got stopped by a SWAT officer when i was traveling home...I had about 2 hrs before my train was scheduled to leave, so i bought a book. After reading for a while, i went and got breakfast. Now coming home from uni, i had 2 bags with me, both stuffed with stuff. After breakfast, i took money out from the ATM and decided to see if any of the shops were open. He stopped me because "i was walking around looking around, and appeared to have be having trouble with my bags"...Now i gave him permission to look in the bag that didn't have poi (he asked to look in 1), but he didn't even look hard. I mean, if i had hada bomb underneath a layer of clothing, his "inspection" would've done nothing. I would've said no to the search if it wasn't important that i make the train back, but still...

People that aren't directly affected/see it think that this president is doing a splendid job

~just my 2 cents

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
nice point people, i understand what your saying Lurch, theres a guy in my ap history clas who is going to work for bush, whent the teacher asked him why he said " because i cant believe Kerry when he talks", im supporting Kerry becaus i dont think bush knows what hes talking about, in many ways its similar to the last election, neither canidate is a particuarly good choice, but youve got to go with the one who you think will screw things up the least, it will also be just as close(oh god, not more re - counts!!! eek)

i suppose we just have to choose between the lesser of two weavils

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
Ah, see, my theory is that Kerry should have a new slogan, "A vote for John Kerry is a vote for John Edwards!" It would work for me... *curses not being 18 yet*

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
some comedian said he should change it to; "vote for me and me wife will buy you a lexus" ubblol

a different comedian said;"vote for me or all take away all the ketshup" (i cant spell!!!!!! redface)

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
As it was written "Anyone who actually wants to be a politician should be automatically prevented from doing so"

George Bush Jnr is an idiot. He only invaded Iraq so he could look good finishing off Daddy's work. We (the brits) only joined in from a misplaced sense of duty cos the US helped us out in WWI and WWII, even though you came in late!! Our soldiers are more afraid of being blown up by US troops, not Iraqis!!!when US soldiers are caught TORTURING iraqi prisoners, then someone TRIES to fake some photos of UK soldiers doing it too to maybe support this action (Supposition, sorry), it makes me sick. Sick that there are people in the US who are really good people, but feel powerless to stop anything going on. RUN FOR OFFICE YOURSELF!!!!!! Please give America the chance to be the stabilising force in the world that can bind all other countries together, help them work together for peace and the betterment of mankind, instead of the capitalist, oil grabbing, penny pinching, poor stomping, racist, sexist, murdering government that you have in place right now. Vote another party, do something please before they get us all killed...
America is the home of the free...
Please fulfil that dream...

DISCLAIMER: I am British. We suffer the same ills that you do, because American big businesses are sucessful, and ours model themselves on yours. This does not mean that this diatribe is in any way an attack on the American people themselves. I like you, thats why I want to throw my two penn'orth in to this discussion (Two Cents worth to you guys)

A Concerned Brit ubbangel

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i feel so bad for you brits, at least here in america at least some of the country supported going into iraq, but, it seems like tony blair had little - no support, i was so disapointed in tony blair for supporting bush, im sorry that your country, too was draged into such a waste of life and resorces