Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
So, I just read a review of this movie...*apparently* one of the characters in it (Lilo's mother's boyfriend) is a firedancer, and *apparently* there's a whole scene where he's putting on a show and lights the stage on fire!

I mean man, I wanted to see this movie before, but now I just can't wait. I know of a movies have had clips of firespinning in them, but am I right in saying that no big movie has ever had a firespinning character in it? Imagine how wicked it'll look with disney's blend of tradional & CG animation.

Maybe the review meant something else by firedancing, but I'm going away for the weekend in after work so I won't be able to check it out until next week. Someone, please go see this movie and let us all know if what it's all about!

oh, there it is.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Going to see this tomorrow night at the drive-in, I will let you know how it is and what's up.

If we really want to get into silly fire/spin things...in Scooby-Doo the Movie there is a fire breathing ghost and Fred does a pretty decent rope dart type thing.

There is a whole listing of fairly modern movies with stuff like this in them. And if you watch some of the old Hawaii based movies, you see firedancers as well.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
no chance of seeing this yet cos live in england but the official site mentions lilo's sister' nani's boyfriend dave kawena is a fire torch dancer...

sounds groovy!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So we saw this movie last night. It was very funny and touching, I recommend it highly.

About the character David. Lilo has an older sister and he is her would-be suitor. David works at one of those Luau's that are just there for tourists. He fire spins with the Polynesian Fire Knives (a form of staff). For those of you who have seen Alegria of Cirque Du Soliel, David's routine in the movie was taken exactly from Karl Sanft's stage routine. It was well drawn though, and made me giggle. Then he attempt's fire breathing to a not so good..yet funny...end. There is a comment made about him burning himself "again", insinuating he isn't very good at what he does, and while funny I wasn't so thrilled with that.

The fire spinning comes up twice in the movie, once in the middle and once more at the end.

Over all concidering where the movie takes place (Kauai) I would've been more surprised had the Polynesian Dancing and Fire *not* been included. Because of the brevetiy I wouldn't base seeing the movie on this, but I do recommend seeing it as it is very cute and original, especially for Disney.

We saw this at the Drive in, where I had brought my LED staff and poi. It was funny for Noah and I to be doing that after seeing the fire in the movie...it made me want to light up!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK