margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
many of you in or around brisvegas may already know about this - and for the rest of you around the world...i'm sure you can sympathise!! but most importantly, everyone here can help! brisbane is on the verge of losing another live music venue - rics bar in the valley.

local residents (who have been there for 5 seconds) are complaining about the noise levels from rics. i'm sorry, it's live music therefore it must be LOUD! these complaints have left bands with a few (shite) options...and these options would be:

* cancel currently booked show
* play acoustic
* no amps - electric instruments through DI direct into PA
* no mic on drums
* 95db absolute limit
* sound engineer has final say and must be adhered to under ALL circumstances

here's what the petition website says...

NO LONGER LOUD, NOT SO PROUD
Urban renewal has finally beaten us...the gentry f'kation of the Valley mall and john Howard's vision of Australia has arrived.
Due to immense pressure from local residence, the department of tourism?fair trading?and whinge industry development, A.K.A. Liquor licensing, has served notice on rics cafe bar that unless sound level conditions are strictly adhered to, our liquor licence may be cancelled or suspended .This means the bands that play at rics in the future will be UNPLUGGED.

Rics has been a venue by default that has supported young, new, vintage, small, big, interstate, international, interesting, minority genres, derivitive, boring, terrible, wierd, hot, quiet, eclectic, loud, pretentious, varied and amazing acts for Ten years.

now - off you go to sign the petition and save local live music!! click here! do it! DO IT NOW!!!! biggrin

thankyou for your time and support!!

weavesmiley

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ARGH!!! local residents...! have never been to brisbane but can i assure you that this also happens in deepest darkest wales... Last weekend I went to Brecon Jazz Festival which last year (it's 20th year) was absolutely fantastic!! Lots of live, free music, great atmosphere and friendly folks. THIS YEAR local residents complained, and live music was banned from the streets after 8pm... so to see any music you needed to splash out a small fortune and visit an indoor venue. In my personal opinion, it completely changed the whole atmosphere! Instead of happy dancing people, the streets were filled with drunken vomiting ones! With any luck the local residents will realise that it was better before, alternatively, there's a chance the whole festival gets cancelled. Why can't people put up with these events for one weekend a year?!? Same as with all the umming and ah-ing over Glastonbury every year, surely they must bring the town extra income?? and the rest of the year it's dead quiet 24/7... both these festivals are long established and have been going for over 20 years, why has it suddenly become more of an issue?... grrr....... it's so frustrating!!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
The same things happened in Perth too, two of my favourite pubs have closed in the last couple of years due to local residents (and the pubs were there first in both cases i believe) who have pushed for noise restrictions after certain times of day - And the pubs have died as a result in both cases..... If they have to close ealier, or can't have the live music that draws people there, its all of a sudden not as appealing a place to go.... I love live music.... Its a shame....

So i'm going to go and sign the petition for ya, let us know if anything gets resolved.... hug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
la liberte des uns s'arrete la ou commence celle des autres

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
sorry yannicus - my high school french didn't stretch that far!!! umm translation please?? biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
It would be such a shame to lose another live music venue. Live music is already endangered for many other reasons we have to try and protect the precious few venues that still support it.
I signed the petition I hope it helps.
Good luck and keep up the fight.
ubblovemajik

Live, love, laugh and dance!