Forums > Social Chat > Not sure why i'm here?

Login/Join to Participate

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

I've had about 2 hours sleep in the last 48 hours, and spent 24 of those in transit from Perth, Australia, to London, UK.

As soon as i got on the plane, i realised... i have no idea why i'm here, what i hope to get out of the trip, or why i'm spending so much money when i have no idea about the above??

I might be sounding scattered and tired.... but has anyone else had the same experiance? Why do we pack up everything, move country, leave friends and family??
I like adventure (i think?) as much as the next person, and have travelled before both on my own and with friends... yet i'm unsure about my trip... what am i doing?
Doing a contiki tour, and driving Ireland with a friend before aimlessly wandering once my friend abandons me and heads home, but i guess i'm wondering what is the point, and why did i want to do this?

I don't wish to become a stronger more indivual person, or a broke one, and life was definatly interesting. But I love my sleep and the finer things in life, so how did i become a backpacker? I love how laidback perth is... so why did i come to London?
I wasn't dragged along in anyone elses plans, and am not naive about the world (i think?)... so not sure why i booked it.... and once it was booked i'm just playing it out...

Hmmm.... any thoughts.... Its not just the jetlag or lack of sleep writing this.... i felt this way the second i realised excactly what i'd done, and that it was real....

And so now i'm looking for answers to questions that i never realised were there. Why did i never ask myself before - Why? How come? or What for?
confused

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Was there something in Perth that you are running from (even subconsciously)? Are you the type of person who likes constant change in your life and never letting others get too close to you? Do you get scared when someone does?

Those are a few reasons a friend of mine left on a similar journey. The journey however helped her learn a lot of things about herself, what she wanted out of life, and how better to be the person she really wanted to be.

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
Sorry if I put a downer on things, but your are growing up. Your younger years are slowly being left behind. The next thing you know you want security in your life, a good job and friends and family around you. Believe me I've been there. It just hit me all of a suddern with no warning, I felt excactly the same way.

I quit my job left the country then BOOM! there it was, my sensibly side that I'd managed to hide for so long popped up.

It's not all bad though, I'm still having just as much fun now as I used to.

Things always work out in the end.

hug hug

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
there probably is a reason, you might just not know what it is yet though... stick with it, the best adventures happen when you don't know where you're going smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Ahhh homesickness...I remember it well.

Don't worry Mel the feelings will pass.

It can be a normal reaction, what you are having at the moment, for some people.

When I first got to Indoensia for my year stay there I was the same way...trust me when the fun begins the niggling fears will fade.

Stick with it...

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
You're here to answer the very questions that have arisen as a result of you being here. The why's and wherefores will answer themselves. That's the point, even if it isn't immediately apparent.

And secretly, you're only here so you can come to Cornwall and spin with meeeeeeeeee. (and Bird, Beth, Brad and a bunch of other people whose names begin with B) biggrin

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Flippant answer is that you have gone to learn new poi moves and bring them back to teach Jed and me. wink

You have been looking forward to this for so long and I think its a great step. It seemed you were kinda stagnanting in your job.
Enjoy it all to the most and you have a lovely time of year to go over!!! hug hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MeleSILVER Member
396 posts

Posted:
Hee hee - Might have to come to Cornwall for a spin! (Thats also where my family originally came from generations back wink )

Not really homesick yet, got my friends here, and my sister and her boy, and their friends.... Doesn't actually feel like i've left home yet... apart from the weirdos on the tube ubbloco

Maybe i skipped the need for a holiday, and want to stability bit now - Would be typical of me to do things the hard way rolleyes

So tired atm.... think Londons not conductive to sleep.... ubbloco

Still working it all out in my head i guess, i know the friends i've had at home i'll have forever so not worried about leaving them really, and don't miss them yet. Not really running from anything, life had been good (apart from shocking housemates) and i've good friends.... so don;t think i'm running....

Maybe part of its cause my dads had to go into hospital for an operation the day i left for a tumour, and now has to go back in again cause its bigger and higher than they thought.... Hmmm..... so much to think on.... and the pace here is not conductive to thinking either wink

Or maybe i'll just keep on going with the flow and work it out when i get home one day! smile

But i don't think i'll ever knock being in my comfort zone again! biggrin

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
OOH OOH OOH!!

Cometocornwall cometocornwall cometocornwall!!

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Its a bit on the damp side at the moment, but still a beautiful part of the world!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MeleSILVER Member
396 posts

Posted:
I might have to organise a Cornwall trip in October... Or is it too cold to twirl then?? Off on Tuesday to do the Europe trip and back in London afterwards for a week, then Ireland for a week, Scotland for another week, and back to london again mid October... after that will be at a loose end i think? My friend & travel buddy will be going home then, but i have a work visa and can stay longer, and shouldn't have gone through my savings my then anyway. Don't think i want to go home without going to Cornwall anyway... Heard its pretty. And who cares about the damp - I come from a city where they are building a desalination plant because we don't have enough rain for our dams to ever get over 20% full! I love the rain! And everything here is sooooo green! smile

I miss my fire poi tho - Bought some pretty streamer poi in camden the day i got here, but still not the same thing frown So glad the hostel has internet tho smile

Having fun despite my confused jetlagged complaints.... but i'm kinda aimless, but having fun.... maybe i'm just too uptight to relax!! ubblol

And what is it with Hostels...? I'm in a mixed room, yet they've yet to put girls in it - Me and my friend are just having a high turn over of single fellas coming thru our room... Not that i'm complaining! wink

Ooohhh..... i get the damp comment now! Wasn't there some flooding there or something?? Only thing on the tv here in the common room is the Olympics, but someone said something about it to me??

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Yeah there was an aweful lot of damp in a few places down here! A couple of villages have been devastated! But yeah, Beautiful sums up Cornwall perfectly (except Newquay at the weekend, thats where all the drunkenness and so on happens, but otherwise its lovely too!)

Maybe we'll have to organise Falmouth III for sometime mid-October then!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MeleSILVER Member
396 posts

Posted:
Ooooh - That would be fabulous!! Maybe after the 20th sometime would be great!! (just been talked into a mission to Skye, but back in London (or will it be Cornwall?) by the 19/20th-ish)

Keep me informed on whats happening re Famlouth III smile

Feeling far from home today frown Been on a bus/tube too long today and had too much time to think..... frown

Okay... trying not to whinge..... but can't complain to my travel buddy cause she disillusioned enough about London as it is - trying to be cheery enough for the both of us rolleyes

hadezBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
I only just heard about the goings on at Falmouth as ive been away for a while. I know a load of southamptoners would be very interested in making the trip down the coast if it was going on again. Is the end of oct likely.
Look foreward to any more news.