Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Hey guys...

I have been given the opportunity for the job of my dreams... I am going for a job as a part of the learning and development team at work.

I have to give a ten min presentation and I am going to use powerpoint and also do handouts and things like that.

I have been told that I am allowed to do a presentation on ANYTHING I WANT... so you guessed it... FIRE TWIRLING!! hooray..

I have some ideas but Im trying to think of a good angle... I will talk about the basics of staff and poi and blah blah blah...safety and icky firebreathing But I need some kind of graphs and stuff... any ideas? I thought that I could do some kind of graph comparision between the amount of people who twirl and who use staff compared to who use poi ... what do you reckon guys? biggrin

Plus I wanna thank Flynty and Ade and Patrick the KIng of the Badgers for your support... you guys totally rock!!! hug hug biggrin ubblove ubbrollsmile biggrin hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
you could do a bit on the history of poi, the origins, and how they were made, and what of.
i dunno if there's these statastics around, but how poi improves co-ordination, balance and reflexes. any research into it?
also all the ways it benefits us-strength, the above, etc.
because of he learning and developement team part, you could drag someone up and teach them a couple of simple moves, then try that against someone learning from instructions from, e.g, a book, or Home of Poi.
good luck with it anyhow

in state of metamorphosis

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I am doing an assignment for school on Poi, I said where it came from, what it is, some other types of Fire Toys, some things they can be made out of, basic safety, and some other things...
But this will most likely be VERY differant to what you are doing.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well seeing as it's a presentation, how about after you've spoke some gumph on poi for a few minutes you lead them outside, and present them with a demonstration! I bet nobody else will be doing that!!

Good luck (again) V hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I have to do presentations for my canoe/ kayak coaching awards, and have found that good visual effects can be a huge bonus, and serve to grab the listeners attention.
Think of it as your presentation written down on paper- if the text is broken up with pictures and diagrams, people will be a lot more inclined to read it than if it is just pages of block text.

Maybe something like blowing up 2 pictures to have in the background- one of a modern day fire spinner, and one of the more ancient maori art. (Or something similar).

Also, if you're giving hand outs, preferably do it at the end. If you give them out at the beginning, people will sit and flick through them rather than paying attention to you.

Relax and sound confident.
And good luck.
biggrin hug biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
If you want to use data for some charts and things - have you spoken to the mods on this site? Perhaps they have a database which can give you statistics on the number of people in each country or continent or hemisphere that are registered here. You can use the universe of registered HoP users as a proxy for the universe of all twirlers. So that covers geography. What about age ranges of twirlers?

(FYI - what I do for a living is present dry statistical data on banks in a user-friendly, layman-readable format. So if you can get your hands on some data - I can definitely help you figure out the best way to display it.)

GOOD LUCK.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Oh - and I forgot to say that I ****love**** the idea of getting one or a few of your audience members up in front of the room and teaching them a butterfuly or something.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Nice one Valura,

If you need any help with powerpoint or stats for this site please let me know. My current job title is "production assistant" and I spend about 85% of my day making high-class shcmicko powerpoint presentations. smile

love n light

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Written by:

…Im trying to think of a good angle?

There are the traditional Maori connections, as in The Rhythm and Life of poi by Ngamoni Huata

There is the historic connection with Indian club swinging as a gymnastic sport, which links to modern rhythmic gymnastics. Clubs are also used in callisthenics.

As a suggestion, don’t include too many slides in your to ten min presentation. Also people learn through seeing, thinking and doing (light em up)

Good Luck smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
If you do shows with kids maybe a letter of "the fabulousnessness of poi and staff for kids coordination". Kids themselves say some lovely things about spinning and the sound and light of fire especially.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think an interesting angle would be the perpetuation of myth in the Global Fire Culture. but then again, thats just me. smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a good statistic to collect would be how long have you been twirling versus how many props can you use to show the addictive nature of all this stuff (or you can find a maybe a better term without referring to addiction!).

in my experience, playing with one toy leads to others - would be nice to know how many people stick to just one prop and how many branch out over time (and in some cases shift their primary focus) weavesmiley --> juggle

i've been at all this for 2 and a half yers now, started with poi and now dabble in loads of other disciplines.

if you're up for it, a thread on here should get you enough data for a nice graph smile

in case you're interested here's the first data point for ya wink

time twirling: 2 1/2 years

number of props used: 7

prop list (in order of experience with prop): poi, ball juggling, single staff, club juggling, contact juggling, double staff, ring juggling.

good luck with the presentation...

hope you get your dream job hug ubbrollsmile hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
YAY!
thanks guys the interview is today and I have done what cole suggested, and used datat from here from previous polls to make a graph etc etc, THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT GUYS AND WISH ME LUCK... I will let you know how it goes.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Good luck!!!!

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
Keeping my fingers crossed & wishing you the best of luck! Let us know how it went & what your report entailed. I wish I could be there to hear it.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ooh sounds fabulous! good luck! i'm a wizz at powerpoint if you need any tips. i'll keep you in my thoughts and send good vibes your way!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ok I just walked out of the interview... I had them GIGGLING!!! YAY! I really think that it went well my lil chickens...
woot! I will let you know if I get it cause I find out next week!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
clap clap clap bounce bounce2 clap bounce bounce2 hehe

well done

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
clap yay valura!! clap

you rock chicken!! we knew you could do it!! you so clever!

biggrin hug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
sweet!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Congrats! And you know what? Even if you don't get this one, you know where you want to go! So you've already won! hug hug hug

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
You are such an inspirational guy patrick! what a sweetie you helped me so much!! hug
Thanks

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
good show, old boy!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Yay clap bounce clap
Well done sweetheart.

I think you deserve one of these beerchug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ohh I just found out that one of the UBER experienced people who have worked with L and D before has gone for the job... uhoh... I dont know if I even have a sniff of a chance now...
oh well I did my best and if it is meant to be it will be!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ok. Excuse the language but I am currently shitting myself.

yesterday one of the learning and Deveopment team members quit and I have been bought in for the interim to train a new set of recruits for the next two weeks... ARRRGHGHGHGH
I am currently being chucked in the deep end, and have now realised the degree od "levels" in this job...

The team have told me that this is no representation on wether or not I have gotton the actual job, but they really need my help cause the person who has quit isnt allowed to train for "inter office political reasons.."
I know my stuff... but I havent even had a snifter of training on some of the stuff that I will be teaching and one of the members of the team turned to me and said... "I wouldnt even throw my boss in like this and she has had five years of experience!" eek

the thing is... Arsn and I are going away this weekend for our anniversary, we have planned it for two months... the secondment starts on monday, and I have anual leave until wednesday. I said this to the team memebers and they said it is up to me as to wether or not I take it.
Now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Arsn, as would I, would be shattered if I decided to start on monday, as we havent had time off together for ever! But if I was to start on monday it would help me to bond with the team during the "gelling" stage as the newbies get to know each other.
redface redface redface
[censored] [censored] [censored], Im stressing about this. The thing that makes it even harder is that I myself and also another candidate for the job, anthony, are training together and he is doing great, and will be there for the whole time.....

WHAT SHOULD I DOOOOOOOO???????? [censored] [censored] [censored].

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Tough call! Thing is that jobs come and go. And since they won't tell you if you've gotten the job....
I say trust your heart and go on your anniversary get-together. Be willing to bet it would bother you more looking back to think you'd passed up being away with your one true love than that you might have passed up on a job op!
This way you show you have integrity to yourself. Besides, you may still get the job when you get back!
Just my opinion!
Cheers!

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
Is this job your "true passion" and without doing this training you'll never reach your life goals? Is Arsn your "true love"? If he is I'd choose him, but I bet he'd support you either way. Will not going with him completly destroy your relationship?(I hope not!) Will you completly loose your job if you don't commit to this training? If this job isn't your life calling, then go with Arsn. However, if this job is one that you're really passionate about, see if you can't change your vacation to after the training & still get the best of both worlds. I'm sure that Arsn would understand and be supportive of whatever desicion you make. Have you discussed this with him yet? Maybe he could help with your choice since it will affect both of you. Good luck, I hope everything works out.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Is Arsn your "true love"?

*giggles* he is my husbands so I answer a resounding YES to that question. biggrin

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ooooo, tricky. Of everyone that I know, Valura, you are the most instinctive. So, I say, you already know the answer... you just need to breathe and listen to be able to hear it.

much love.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Hey Valura,

this link might be useful - opse a bit late aren't I. Oh well its interesting reading anyways.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3417045.stm

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

Page: