WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:

As for now I have 65 mm wicks on my pois head and I have used them 2 times now with fire. I wasent to satisfy with the fire. Im thinking of trying to wrap around some new wicks onto the old wicks thus increase the thickness of my pois head. What I expect is of course that the weight will increase but will the fire be much more stronger/brighter and what I have read so far the lenght of the fire should increase since the wicks can soak in more fuel.

Any help would be greatfull.... ubbangel

//Wai

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, the lenght of time will be longer - but the flame size won't be much bigger... Slightly bigger, but not hugely. It's all about surface area, the only real way to get larger flames is to increase the surface area i.e use 100mm wick, or try a Monkey Fist or Cathedral style head.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Wai!

Firstly do you mean 65mm long or 65mm wide?? If it's wide thats good but iuf it's long you may want to try adding wick to make them longer instead of wider. I use 100mm long tube core wicks and they're fine but I've spun with the shorter ones and didn't like them so much.

If you want to spend a few croners you could always buy some Monkey Fist wicks from here (or make some!). They look really good when they burn, hold lots of fuel and are nice and heavy so spin really nice too.

Hope that helps! weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Damn you durbs and your fingers of lightning speed typingness! tongue Very good advice tho wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
tongue wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
Thx guys for the advice, Im using 65 mm wide wicks. I also must say that every1 are so nice in these forums willing to share their knowledge to a noob like me biggrin.

I also def will try to buy a pair of money fist since I have heard so much good. As for now Im heading to my local store and buying 100 mm wide wicks.

// Wai

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Noob, oldie, there's no difference we're all just people!

I'm jsut glad we could be of good service Wai! And don't forget to let us know how you get on with the new extra wide wicks biggrin

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
Burn tim and fire ball size also depends on how you wrapped you wicks. Try a double cathedral stack. I get really good burn time on my 2-inch wicks and great big pretty flames. Cathedral stacks hold more fuel and allow better air flow to feed the flames.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot