Forums > Help! > Getting a staff soaked on both ends?

Login/Join to Participate

abideBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
I bought a 100 foot roll of kevlar and started building toys. Now I am having a problem figuring out a good way soak my new toys.

The hardest one seems to be soaking both ends of my staff.

Any good ideas out there?

Don't be afraid...Look full into the light!!!
abide

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Um we usually just stick each end in a can of fuel one at a time. If your worried about the fuel going down the staff, get a smaller bottle with some form of pour spout and soak each end while it's lying down. But Label that bottle FUEL or something so people don't accidentally drink it. wink

(Mine are labeled with my name and type of fuel)

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

abideBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Thanks,
Reallyeek..... I figured that much?
Maybe I am trying to make this too complicated.

Thank you for your time...a second opinion will help feel like I know what I am doing. This will be fun!!!

abide

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
It sounds like you a little new at this. I'd suggest using lamp oil or kerosine if your getting started, less chance of lighting yourself on fire. There is alot more info on what to do and what not to do out there, take a look at it and be safe.

Have fun. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I've been tryign to figure out a way of doing this for years...especially for on stage peformances.

The best solution so far is to fuel up several staffs before the performance and go through them one by one.

apart from that, detachable heads that can be soaked seperately may be a solution, but not one I'm interested in due to the risk of them coming undone while spinning...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
get addicted to doubles or twirling with others and you'll never need to stress over how to light a single staff again!

but if you really need to light a single staff and there's no other flames/twirlers around, i suggest getting one end of a warm staff lit and performing a fire transfer with your cupped hand.
it is important to note that you should wash your hands after any contact with fuel, whether you're gloved or not, as the lead in your hands can easily enter your stomach if you eat afterwards.
even vegemite!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'm no staff spinner... but I'm curious about the fire transfer thing, care to elaborate? wink

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

6,978 posts

Posted:
wacky uber elite cupping of flames into hands from lit wick to light unlit wick with. often executed by uber elite polynesian fire twirlers.
ever wonder what supah dupah tricks they can do?
that's one of em wink

6,978 posts

Posted:
nice name, bro!
thanks for makin it clearer, ima losing my sense in my advanced age
:strokes chin:
if ya want to mnimise fuel drip and don't want to mess with your loverly handles, then coil hemp string around the edges of your handle. it looks real pro and you get to keep you manicure intact.
wooop!

Raven_WolfeRunSILVER Member
journeyman
91 posts

Posted:
The easiest and best way I've found so far is after you soak one end, let it drip for a min back into the fuel bucket, then soak the other side and let it drip the same way. A minute on each end, just letting the exess drip off, should do it.

May the flame on your balls not be too hot

abideBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Thanks all,
I think that I have come to resonable conclusion???

It sounds like all humans put their pants on one leg at a time and soak their fire staffs one end at a time. Though it seem quiet simple I think I will go with that method.

As for the fuel on the grip? I have not experianced that yet but, to keep from getting the pleasure I am going to put some twine on either end of my grip. This should keep my manicure looking prestine also. Grrrr....

You all have been a great help. I am going to have my first burn tonite. I'll post the video.

Honestly, having never lit up before I am a bit intimadated.

abide