Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > New to poi, can someone help me with the butterfly?

Login/Join to Participate

mahigannewbie
1 post

Posted:
I cant seem to get it, the only way i'be been anywhere close is to do an alternate swing backwards and then cross my hand over, but it usually gets tangled. Video lessons arnt really helping so I hoped someone could explain.
I can do the weave no problem but I think if i can get the butterfly down then I could start doing more complex tricks. I only have mouse poi at the moment but im buying 26" fire poi, but its gonna take some practice before I light them!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Start swinging at your sides, then slowly bring your hands together until they're both in the middle in front of you and your poi are spinning flat. If you're right-handed your right hand will be slightly above your left, vice versa if you're left handed.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Try learn both of them, because its beginning of thread the needle smile. Of cource try BF backward too, folow the same concept from Spiralx smile

POI THEO(R)IST

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Good point... was teaching TTN last night and should've considered that smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Don't cross your hands.
Also when your hands move towards the centre of your body it can be easier if one is quite a bit higher than the other and then you lower it to be on top of the other hand.

You might find more hints if you try a search, this has probably been asked a few tiems before.

hope you get it soon smile

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
off/on topic: what is thread the needle any way, i look at the video, but it just looks like a butterfly where you move your hand, is that all it is?

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Sort of. Each hand alternates being closer to your body each beat basically, which you do by bringing each hand back and over the other arm in turn.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Thread the needle is "One potato, two potato" with poi and is a key move. Learn it now!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hey and welcome to poi!! weavesmiley
what everyone else has said sounds pretty good so only advice i have left to offer you is when u r doing ti if u find when the wicks (or lil bags in the case of mouse poi) come to meet at the bottom you may find they hit each other, the solution to this is to have one hand ( i find my right cos im right handed) higher than the other, this will stop colliding at the bottom of the butterfly

personally i learnt the butterfly using my fire poi unlit, i found that the flimsy strings on my cobra poi or any tail poi tangle too easily and makes u get very frustrated, the fire poi just makie a clunk if that contact and dont tangle too easily, however as most poisters will tell u they have a habit at the bottom of the butterfly to collide and go straight for the groin! eek

good luck biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian