Forums > Social Chat > Need help with forward weave + turn

Login/Join to Participate

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
At what point do you start your 90 deg. turn on a forward weave? Thanks in advance!SC~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm guessing you mean to go into a windmill right?I usually go into it on the downstroke when the Poi are about to pass the side of my body that is on the same side as the direction I want to turn in. Then I let them both turn in front of my body and then bring em up behind my head to start the windmill.I hope this helps.Josh

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
I'm actually just trying to do a forward weave and turn my body while doing it. (I just started)but your infomation is great and I will totaly be able to use it! Thanks!SC

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
SC--You're talking about turning from a fwd weave into a rvs weave, right? Say you want to turn to the right--as your wicks work across to the right, just follow them. Their momentum will keep them moving in an arc, and you just need to sort of get behind them. They'll actually keep moving to the right, and wind up on your right side after you turn but before you establish the rvs weave motion.Like everything else in fire-twirling, it seems that you keep metaphorically hitting your head against a wall, and literally hitting your poi against your body, until something clicks and it starts feeling natural. Keep at it. You'll get it.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Are you sure you mean a 90 degree turn or do you mean a 180 degree turn?why are you turning your body, what are you trying to do? smile)I mean - where else can you go from a weave other than windmill and / or reverse weave..(unless you are getting funky into butterfly)Josh

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
Thanks!!!!! =)I've been using proton micro lights instead of regular poi or glowsticks. They're really really light so its hard to get em going but they hurt WAY less then a standard glowstick.hehe but again, thanks to all!Josh> I am actually just trying to keep a forward weave going while turning my body 90 - 180 degrees at a time.[This message has been edited by SpaceCadet (edited 06 March 2001).]

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
umm.... do you mean just turning 90-180 degrees while doing the forwards weave? I don't think I can do this! Everytime I start to turn more than 90 degrees I start either the circular chase or a backwards weave. There is a definite 'bounce' after the turn from forwards to your side. (It helps to literally bounce your hands to keep momentum at a good level).hope it helpshope it helps..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey,I've never seen or even heard of anyone doing the move you describe, in fact I cant even see how it would work smoothly (as you would be pushing the spin planes through 180 degrees) without taking ages to 'work' them round.If you get it, post a move description - I'd love to learn such a centrifugal force-defying move (a bit like going straight from weave to buttefly wink)My twirling style concentrates on moving my body around the spin planes, with a minimal use of plane-shifting (eg to horizontal from vertical)...My girlfriend tends to do a lot more plane-shifting - but I think this has to do with the fact that generally she twirls a lot slower...I guess to facilitate the dance aspects more easily...as I said - when you get it, give us a yell! smileGood luck, and I hope to hear from you soon,Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 06 March 2001).]

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
Basicly I wanted to do this move (link below) but with a forward weave instead of a reverse weave.. I'm lost on trying to figure out at wich point I start the turn.. or maybe this is impossible with a forward weave? Man, I dont know.. heheh I'm too new at this to be trying to make sence. =)https://www.homeofpoi.com/new7.htm

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
its not impossible to do this from the forward weave, in fact if you watch the video closely you will notice that when she is facing the right she is twirling in forwards. when she turns back to the left she turns 180 degrees from forwards to backwards. the key to turning is to notice that the poi are always turning in the same direction, what actually changes is your relationship to them.she is turning counter clockwise, so she is following her right hand as it comes across her body to the left (the 'over' part of the weave in forwards). if you want to go clockwise you follow your left hand. so for each 180 degrees of turn you end up switching from forwards to backwards. for an entire turn you go from forwards to backwards to forwards again. you can do more than one repetition of whichever direction youre going at the 180 degree point or just keep going the next time your hand comes around to crossing your body. you also dont need to actually turn around completely. if you take a wider stance with your legs you can turn your hips to one side, and then turn to the other side with the poi.hope thats a somewhat lucid description smilePeregrine

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
Perfect!! Thanks so much!=)