Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Romanians beware! a little dragon is headed your way next year! (that kinda rhymes! and i didnt even mean for it to!)

a lovely (fat!) letter arrived in the post today "i am delighted to let you know that you have been recomended for a placement with GAP in Romania, teaching English as a Foreign Language"

i will get a phone interview within the next few months to determine my specific placement, and i will find out "from mid-september" where and when exactly i am going.

I'm so excited! reading the details on Romania; "Romania is a fascinating and beautiful country..." it was sinking in! i'm going to be in Europe next year!
bounce bounce2bounce bounce2bounce bounce2

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The principal wants me to teach the students about Japan as well! How cool would that be! running japanese culture classes (maybe a bit of language as well!) as an extra curricular activity!!!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Woo! I got my letter of oinvitation today - so I can now apply for my visa! ooh! it's so exciting! bounce bounce2

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Well it's been quite a time since i've been in Romania and i only remember how to say thank you, which is Montsumesc (the spelling is probably al wrong) Come to think of it: Tea is chai. I loved the country, I've been to the mountains and Dracula's castle, which was fun.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there.
What city are you going to?

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
It's a rural town near Brasov. apparently its so small, everyone knows everyone!

It's good to know that tea is chai - at least I will know what i'm drinking if i ask for a chai!

teejay_bluemikes bitch
387 posts

Posted:
yes but the important thing is, wot is vodka in romanain?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - angela monet.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rouge Dragon

It's a rural town near Brasov. apparently its so small, everyone knows everyone!

It's good to know that tea is chai - at least I will know what i'm drinking if i ask for a chai!

Oh good - that is a cool area! I've actually been there.

you are going to be living in transilvania!!!

be sure to always eat lots of garlic while you are there!

Brasov is a neat place too.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Never been in Brasov, but the area is indeed a very cool place and the people are really welcoming.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Actually Vanize, it's in Wallachia, but practically on the border between the two.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
close enough - vampires have no respect for borders anyway!

-v-

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
considering the guy dracula was based on was actualy a wallacian prince, not a transylvanian prince!

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
As a tip: you have to check out one of Dracula's, supposed castle. T|hey have all the same attractions. Won't tell you what, but it's usually damn funny.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
good old Vlad the Impaler - you will find in that area of Romania, is is actually regarded as a bit of a historical hero.

The castle Fuero is refering to is on a border too, is it not (but wasn't actually Vlad's)

-v-

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
I thought I was in the transilvanian mountains, but I don't know exactly where.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
also could be that every castle in the area can make some degree of claim on dracula... That old Bram Stoker was one for mixing and matching all sorts of historical and folk stories you know...

Maybe we can get Rouge Dragon to write a full dissertation on the subject using the research she conducts while she is there?

-v-

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Yes, I hope she would do that.
I know that there are multiple castles claiming that they are the one. The one I visited is where they filmed Bram Stoker's Dracula.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ah ha - I visted the one that is geographically set in the place Bram Stoker placed Dracula's original castle (as opposed to Vlad's actual one, which is also a tourist attraction I beleive) which dracula doesn't inhabit for most of bram stoker's story (rather, he is just from there), but that one was remodeled to a victorian style long ago and so completely unuseable for filming a dracula movie.

-v-

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Did you also noticed all the junk selling people?
Everything that has remotely something to do with dracula or bats is sold there.

pinkbootSILVER Member
Beautiful Intelligent Thoughtful Cute Happy!
269 posts

Posted:
Bram Stokers castle rules! what more you ever want from a country: cheap alcohol, fantastic scenery, cheap stuff! and lots of random poor people who all seem to sell wool jumpers to tourists on the front of their car lol! they are funny! and yes most of them do speak english, if you do get the chance to go when it snows hire some skis and a snow board and go for it and even better after the slopes are closed they hire out toboggans! that is so much fun especially when you find the secret really bumpy hills that are stupidly steep and try to fit three of you onto one toboggan! random fun............... digresses! don't eat hotel food though if you want to live to your next birthday though! just for your own saftey really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna conquer the world but got distracted by something shiny!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
26 sleeps to go...

I'm getting so scared!

Today at social rowing (as opposed to training), one of the guys there said "see you! Have a good time next year!" and I said "but I'll see you before then, won't i?" and he said "well social rowing doesn't start again until 16th january, so probably not..."

And last night I had a party at my place (just a low-key gathering) and dad said something about "that was a good send off for you last night". It wasn't supposed to be my goodbye party, and it kind of pissed me off that dad saw it at that.

But these things made me realise that now I am going to be saying "see you!" to people I wont be seeing for a year!

It's scaring the crap out of me!

pinkbootSILVER Member
Beautiful Intelligent Thoughtful Cute Happy!
269 posts

Posted:
Just enjoy it have fun, you can always come back!

Just enjoy the new scenery, the culture and everything just class it as a once in a lifetime opportunity!

I was gonna conquer the world but got distracted by something shiny!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Rouge you're taking a big step, but its going to be fine. You can, as pinkboot said, always go back home if you feel the need. I'm betting once you get there the year will pass so quickly you will be coming home thinking 'WoW wasn't I only just flying out to Romania'. You also talked of coming over to the UK. Think of all the crazy HoPpers you'll be able to meet in the flesh for the first time.

Leaving Family and friends is hard but look at it more as going out to find more friends than leaving friends behind.

hug and HoP is always here if you need it. Kind of like a home from home floating in cyberspace. hug
ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Rouge! Honney!! *huge hugs* You know I went through the exact same thing as you did. Several times. About every other day for a month until I left.

You can do it. Just don't let it get to you... You are coming back in a year, and your friends and family will (most likely all of them) be there again. You have to set yourself perimiters, of how much to let yourself think of it... Try to only think ahead, how different things will be, how awesome it will be, learning a new language, making it on your own... Set yourself sights that won't make you think of how much you will miss everything. You can look at everything and say 'I will be back, and I will change, but I will be me, and I will be back'.

I find that in this position... Being away for a year, on your own... You really learn to take advantage of what you have right in front of you. You could sit, and get depressed and cry about everything that is at home, or you could sit and think about how much things will change when you get back. Or, you could think about today, and enjoy everything you are experiencing and learning, seeing, smelling, tasting, saying (languages!!). Think about how you are doing it all on your own, and that you can make it.... all that stuff.

Once you're there, I think you will realize this as I have, and probably many other people have... then you will wonder why you were so worried in the beginning!! It is a risk, for sure, but if we take no risks... what then?

hughughug things will work out. You'll come over here, have a great time, learn who you are a bit, and come home a different person, with experiences only you will know. And it will all be worth it.

~ bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
15 sleep! eek
FIFTEEN SLEEPS!

that's two weeks left! Two weeks!'
OH MY GOD!!!!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
hug No panicing! Its all going to be a fun filled adventure!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The sleeps to go have now hit single digets! eek

got my clothes in a pile in the spare room waiting to get put into my bag! There is no way in hell even half of that crap is going to fit into my bag! no way at all!

but i've been and gotten my jabs and donated blood and ive got a dentist appointment and a hair cut next week......ITS NEXT FRIDAY! eek

well, it'll be next friday if they bloody get my my visa! how long can it bloody take!!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Miss rouge sounds like your almost orgainsed .
The best way to pack is look at everything you want and halve that and thats what you need.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
hug
kiss

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
europe anxiously awaits the arrival of rouge dragon!!!

-v-

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Don't worry Rouge things are going to be fine. hug

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
A WEEK! A WEEK!

I leave the country in A WEEK! bounce bounce2

Page: