Forums > Help! > Taking poi on the airplane? customs requirements?

Login/Join to Participate

cthopkinsGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
Anyone know if it's legal to take used wicks on an airplane? I know you can't take lanterns or other things that use white gas, even if they are empty. Anyone have experience with taking your poi on flights? through customs? Can you take them in carry-on or do you have to check them?

Also, any ideas on flying with a staff(unfortunately not one of the three piece ones that break down)?

Thanks

Customs, Planes, Fuel

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I'm flying to new york from ireland with my stix on wednesday. I rang the cargo people that work for the airline im flying on and they reckon there will be no problem as long as they are probably wrapped and burried in my checked in luggage. I do have a break down staff though and this will make it easier. If worst come to worst, i'll just ditch the wicks and bring the stix.

If you staff doesnt break down i'd recomend packaging it in a big tube, well sealed and the checking it as seperate cargo marked fragile - performance equipment etc. Give the wicks a good burn and dont re dip them, wrap them up in cling film, glad wrap etc to seal kin any smell.

I flew from belfast to cork in ireland last week. they tore apart my hand luggage but never took a second look at the bag i checked in. Which was basicly a pile of kero soaked clothes etc from three days spinning at a festival, a fire ball to speak. or a bomb if your a crazed nutter.

try ringing the airline, ask em, dont tell them your name though.

Love is the law.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Please do a search for this. (click on 'search' at the top of the page).
You'll find there's loads of threads about this already.
I would put a link to a few of them, but this is still something I need to learn to do! rolleyes

But, while I'm here...
Poi- Don't re-dip them after you're last burn.
Put them in a zip lock bag.
Also put in the bag an explanation of what they are (performance equipment), and a photo if possible.
Put them in your checked luggage, not your hand luggage.

Staff- Again, don't re-dip it.
Cover the wicks with plastic (cut up binliners?), and seal with a rubber band.
Again, include an explanation.
Put in a plastic or cardboard tube, mark as 'fragile- performance equipment' (or similar).
Again, put in checked luggage.

juggling balls- Can be put in checked or hand luggage, but be aware that some countries will take them off you. Some places have issues with seeds being brought into the country, and customs can be uptight about not knowing what's inside them.

Happy flying. biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Thank you so much for those tips -- I would never have thought to leave a message in the bag with them.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
So im here!!! And so are My stix!!!

Safe and sound and not a bother.

I'm staying in Brooklyn so PM me and we can hook and and have some firey fun.\

I'm a free agent. will probably be in the little park down beside brooklyn bridge on friday night takin some fire photos's

all are welcome to come join.

hope to see you soon

a

Love is the law.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mand

Please do a search for this. (click on 'search' at the top of the page).
You'll find there's loads of threads about this already.
I would put a link to a few of them, but this is still something I need to learn to do! rolleyes

But, while I'm here...
Poi- Don't re-dip them after you're last burn.
Put them in a zip lock bag.
Also put in the bag an explanation of what they are (performance equipment), and a photo if possible.
Put them in your checked luggage, not your hand luggage.

Staff- Again, don't re-dip it.
Cover the wicks with plastic (cut up binliners?), and seal with a rubber band.
Again, include an explanation.
Put in a plastic or cardboard tube, mark as 'fragile- performance equipment' (or similar).
Again, put in checked luggage.

juggling balls- Can be put in checked or hand luggage, but be aware that some countries will take them off you. Some places have issues with seeds being brought into the country, and customs can be uptight about not knowing what's inside them.

Happy flying. biggrin

See! THAT'S what I meant by a 'Mand' thing. You ARE helpful. ubblove

Yes, there have been many posts including mine on what trouble I have and haven't got into by flying with poi.

In short, I've never had trouble checking them.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

See! THAT'S what I meant by a 'Mand' thing. You ARE helpful. ubblove

*scrubs toe into the ground*
redface awww, you made me blush!
Thanks NYC hug ubblove

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
biggrin She is, isn't she?

And.....for the record? She now knows how to post links in threads too!

biggrin

bounce ubblove bounce

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Dont mind me

Love is the law.

GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
Oven Bags. I'm not sure if they're available everywhere, but they're krinkly plastic and you can put 'em in the oven, with your turkey inside. They're super-stink proof. I flew to Florida, bagged the poi in 2 oven bags and included a note as to what they are... and put them in checked baggage. No problem! Happy travels!

take the schneak-tip

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I just stuck em in my suitcase. Never had a problem. Flown for years. International and National. As long as you don't take em on the plane with you.

Flying out on Weds... Hope I don't jynx myself. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
A good idea is to dissemble your pois and separate the parts, eg put the heads (wrapped up in something like cling film) at the bottom of your luggage, the chains in your hand-luggage and the handles in your pocket biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
just thought i'd bump this thread

flew with virgin pacific today - perth to melbourne.... i had my used poi with me and had no trouble with them hidden in my checked luggage but i got given a leaflet this time which outlined all the 'dangerous' goods....

it specifically has printed on this leaflet that "fire sticks are never allowed" with a pic of a staff.... i still think that without kevlar they'd be ok but as they attract attention it could be hard to convince someone behind the check in counter who has been told that they cant fly...

just thought i'd share.... it might be a new thing cos if you look at their website fire sticks arnt listed

i'm sure there are still ways and as i said i had no probs with my poi burried in my rucksack wink

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
my boy has flown internationally with huge bags full of fire staffs, poi, juggling clubs.. all used... many times. There's are indeed lots of links about this but to repeat...
We wash the wick bits (and shafts) in hot water and washing up liquid, dry in the sun if there' s time. Wrap in cling film, pack with clothes and stuff, but in huge boogie board looking thing. The bag is so big is has to go through oversized luggage and alsways gets checked with an explosive residue sniffer thing. has so far gotten through no worries every time. If asked, the bag contains sports equipment. Even got a extra allowance last time as if they were skis!

Also we do not ever use kero, but odourless fuels. There are fuels available here which other spinners have even been able to take on planes as they are not classed as hazardous (there are other threads about this too...)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
That fuel sounds better and better Gabe. Kero is just sooo smelly

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Qantas allow fire-sticks and poi on board as long as they are dry... The guy I spoke to also said the sealing of the stick in a pipe is a good idea...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gnor

That fuel sounds better and better Gabe. Kero is just sooo smelly

When Lemming was at Moonfest she lit up her monkey fists, using odourless fuel. After the spin, we could smell kero coming off her poi!!!! The residue was still there and making smell even though it had been week/s since she used them!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd add that I've recently flown to both Spain and Italy (and back) and have just put my poi inside 2 or 3 plastic bags properly wrapped up and put in the side pocket of my rucksack. They were soaked in paraffin / kero (as in soaked after use and not burnt off) and no-one said a word. After I'd been in Barcelona it was no more than 12 hrs from burn to getting on the plane.

I think If they are well wrapped and in your hold luggage most of the time you're ok.

I did get told to take my sock poi out of my hand luggage and put them in my rucksack as they could be seen as a weapon by boarding staff confused

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
I called Quantas the other day to check I'd be allowed to carry fire poi (used but washed) in my check in luggage and was told absolutely not - they said it could be dangerous and the potential smell would also be a problem. They also wanted me to pack my hoop in a giant box and pay extra for it. Neither prospect is exactly thrilling me... do you think I should just pack the poi in an oven bag with a message and photo as suggested here and hope for the best? Or should I be sensible (which i hate doing) and stick with glow poi?

to live at all is miracle enough

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
There are [Old link] that boil down to:

Don't ask, just do.

Wash if you use stinky fuel, seal in checked luggage and GO!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks newgabe!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK