Forums > Social Chat > So Why is Poi/staff/fire toys not an Olympic Sport?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I've seen elements of contact juggling and ribbons in gymnastics, but I still think poi is very much a rich unique skill and separate entity. Could this event become real in the future?

Hmmm how would they mark it? bounce bounce clap bounce2 bounce2 clap bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 clap bounce bounce bounce

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Puk

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
In many ways I would love to agree with this but it is my understanding that the olympic games is for sport and I think it would be hard pressed to get people to consider twirling as a sport it is more of a skill or a performing art.
As much as I would love to see twirling recognised for the amazing art that it is I don't think the olympic games is the right place for it. Besides do WE really want our art being judged and marked and then get gold painted medals for our efforts?
Great thought but there are many reasons why it would not work.
But thats just my opinion I am a leo but unfortunatly I'm not right ALL the time (only most the time). wink
smile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

Skippynewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Hi jemima(jsm) Im skippy hug

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
This debate came up a few years ago - lordy knows what my idea about it was then but here's my viewpoint now.

Well first of all most of the best 'athletes' would fail the doping regulations biggrin

It will be argued that people don't want to see poi / twirling become a competitive activity. From what I see - it already is very much a competitive activity - with people striving to pull off new tricks, show others, a competitive element has already been implemented in the COL competitions. Competition is not necessarily a bad thing - striving to be the best at your ability and receiving regognition for a good performance and showing your ability to others.

Ballroom dancing is now called 'Dance Sport' and is part of the World Games If dancing can be categorized as a sport why not poi which can be judged on artistic and technical levels also.

What is preventing poi becoming an internationally recognized sport? Lack of interest of anyone to make it so I guess? Set up an International Federation, hold competitions nationally and World Championship, apply to IWGA or IOG & voila! I imagine you would want to be really passionate & dedicated to making it happen tho!

For me poi, staff etc are my 'toys' - to others they are the 'tools' of their profession, I don't think there are enough people dedicated to creating an International Federation of Poi for it to happen yet anyhow.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I would actually hate to see it as a recognised sport and held at major sporting competitions. For me its not a sport and I don't like being competitive about it. I'd hate to go up against other people - it would take every bit of enjoyment out of it for me. I find poi really relaxing, a good thing to relieve stress and it would completely stress me out if I was competing with it!!! smile

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Lol I like your first point kat eek, yeah I personally do poi as a hobbie, a way of sharing and meeting people, to relax, to wake up, to excersise, to make pretty patterns, to excersise my brain, and there is always new things to learn !

If it did ever become critically judged i dont think i would have the courage to enter the competition.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Skippynewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Hay jemima (jem) wave I love Poi And you hug I dot LOVE THE GAME I LOvE Buffy Bu love from skippy weavesmiley

Skippynewbie
38 posts

Posted:
HEY jemima (jem) ITS SKIPPY I DO POI.NO TELL ME ABOUT YOU
bounce

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I do poi too eek biggrin Been doing it for nearly two years ?
Grew up in london..............

erm why dont you visit [Old link]

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
juggling olympics...?

umm

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
*thinks Skippy is a stuffed Kangaroo*

Poi is not a sport. It's a lifestyle.

The defence rests m'lud.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I think it would be entirely possible to make poi an olympic sport, you could mark people on the technicality of moves and also on style probably like they do with gymnastics, figure skating and the like.....

However, it shouldn't be.... in fact, does anyone else think it's vaguely odd that gymnastics, figure skating, diving etc, should be counted under sport? whereas dance is not included... there seems to be a very wibbly fine line between sport and performance...

Also... they wouldn't have to build anything for people to do poi, it wouldn't be part of the olympic bid and probably get sidelined anyway..... umm

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
If it was an olympic sport wouldn't they totally overregulate it? Cos everyone couldn't just use whatever poi they wanted, surely there would have to be regulation lengths, wieghts etc, and that would suck arse.

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
weavesmileyi both do and dont want to have it in the olympics or something like that. I would because it would be awsome to see and com pete against other poiers around the world. i wouldnt becasue so many people who dont know of poi would watch it and would want too start and the poi world would grow too hugh. i know that people usually would say the more the merrier but it wouldnt be as impressive and you wouldnt be able to really perform it anymore cuz evry one would be able to do poi!!
thank you
have a nice day

Miller..

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Hmm...poi as a competition?

It's an art, and while there are those who try to break the envelope for the greatest number of beats they can get on the weave, etc, there is a lot more to spinning poi than the number of comlpex tricks you can do.

If you look at my repetoir of tricks, I'd probably be considered a novice compared to some on HoP. I can't even do behind the back forward weave all that well yet.

However, what I lack in complex tricks, I make up for in how I move and dance with the poi. I stick to simple tricks...the basics, really, and put variations on the basics as I move to music, etc. I've been told that its my movement that makes me a very good spinner.

At the end of the day, I'm not keen on the idea of poi competitions. I compare my skill against that of others, and strive to be better, but the idea of a competition seems...restrictive, in a sense.

I'm not keen on folks who brag how great they are, and how many various tricks they do.....

I think I've rambled and not really made a point, but...I'd rather keep poi out of the "sports" realm and keep it as an art.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
yer i agree the thing i've always enjoyed about spinning is the relaxed atomfear and the fact no ones compeating there just enjoying doing it wouldn't be any fun if you were all trying to out do eachother

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Not competitive???

Oh man you really have to meet some of the people that I have met spinning...my goodness.

Some of them are so competitive they have the whole "I am better than you attitude" and if you ask them to teach you a move that you may not have learnt yet (asking very nicely of course) they look at you like you are some kind of leech!

Trust me there are some VERY competitive poiers in the world.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ok, just had Flash Fire get snarky at me for being off topic in another thread, and I kinda wanted to pursue this more. Hopefully mcp is ok with me quoting him:

Written by:

Written by: mcp
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If she thinks it's going to be an olympic sport she's no chance of getting a gold. Plus an olympic sport generally has to be difficult to do. How would the gymnasts feel if they got a gold for the overall champion, having put some 20+ years of hard training into the sport, and then some punk poister gets a gold for poi? I would be annoyed. But then I'm annoyed that tabletennis is an olympic sport. (How would football players feel if suboteo was an olympic sport?)

I think it was that one comment that made me think she was nuts.

I'm glad the poi world now has a robert heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually, good table tennis is a tough thing to learn!

but then really good poi isn't trivial.

and it ain't so hard to ice skate, but winning a gold in figure skating is tough! But if you look at old figure skating competitions, back when it first became an olymic sport, you could take a bloke from Texas and have him competitive at that level inside of a year...

not that I wouldn't completely think it was stupid to see poi as an olympic sport. surfing should be there long before poi.

to this I just wanted to add a couple things - gymnasts don't train for 20 years. a 20 year old female gymnast has, more likely than not, been retired from olympic competition for several years already. but mcp's point is valid

I do not in any way shape or form want to see poi become an olympic event, but when I refered to figure skating above, I was trying to say that once something does become an olympic "sport", it's standards to tend to skyrocket. modern figure skating is dimentions beyond to original version of it introduced to the olympics in 1908. So is gymnastics. Hell, I could have been competitve in olypmic gymnastics in 1896, or even 1956. no way now.

so if poi did become an official olympic sport, I would at least have the hope that poi would be pushed far beyond the boundries we have as yet collectively explored for it.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no worries.

I really meant the male gymnasts that start at like 5 and can go on till 30+ sometimes. I care not for the female ones cos of the messed up way that old girls aren't allowed/don't compete. Plus till recently there was that whole: Females can't compete if they have bosoms. Which was messed up. (Plus the men do the more fun events)

I didn't realise that about gymnastics... I thought it had always been hardcore. Thanks!

I suppose it was just hardcore in different ways: Think of where the name horse came from...

Oh and I'm a she.

I get my coat... biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Oops! - sorry about the gender confusion! redface

yeah, guy gymnasts are hardcore for a long time. I actually feel female gymnastics should have certain rules covering it to protect children. I have actually known two women who were former competitive gymnasts.

One was from the states, and eventually had to quit when she was 14 because xrays of her leg bones looked basically like a winsheild after a car accident there were so many micro-fractures. She will be at risk for various bone conditions for the rest of her life.

The other was russian, and was in the soviet national program and only saw her family about 6 weeks a year from the time she was 6 years old. When she was 13, she made a very big decision for herself. She wanted out of that hell and to have a normal life, but there was no way she would be allowed to quit without severe political reprocussions for her family. So she did a vault and puprosely landed wrong, and occomplished some version of what she wanted to do - which was to break her shin in half. she never had to go back. two years later, the USSR fell apart, but even so, she says that 2 years of not having to do that was 100% worth mangling her leg on purpose. a child should never have to make a decision like that in the name of sports.

add on top of that the stories I have heard from babajaga who was a serious competitve swimmer in the East German swim team (things like doping childrens food with steriods), and I am almost horrified we, as human beings, allow things like this in the name of sport.

there is something not right at the core of female gymnastics (and perhaps many other sports) if this is what it does to little girls.

-v-

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I also wouldn't want to participate in all the corporate advertising, sponsorship and nationalism that olympic athletes have to subject themselves to.

I AM working.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
snarky? pfft.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skippy

HEY jemima (jem) ITS SKIPPY I DO POI.NO TELL ME ABOUT YOU
bounce

NOO!! Skippy is my llama..Skippy, what are you doing?? Get back in my avatar ubbloco I taught skippy my llama staff too, so it might not be the same Skippy, hmm

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
If you *had* to train several hours a day with a coach shouting at you, would you do it?

For me poi is fun, something to do with mates and a minority thing that gets people talking to you (or laughing at you, depending on the degree of injury) at festivals. I wouldn't want it to be anything else.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I dont think having poi as a competitive sport would change anything. There are already heaps of world wide comps that encorporate similar things - fireknife, baton and elements of rythmic gym to name a few off the top of my head. It doesnt detract from what we do now does it (well if it did, it already would be).

I cant see it getting into the Olympics. It took millions of ppl world wide snowboarding very seriously before that got in. I cant see poi getting there cuz most ppl simply dont take it that seriously. smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
There are huge competions every year at the kapa haka nationals. Taken seriously i may add. They judge form every thing including poi, staff, weapons, clothing, dance, movement, sync etcetc
They teach it solid at school and have school competion. The main competions are all adults, although the junors are awsome to watch.

what its all about, including some good poi pics

Results from 2004 National Primary Schools Kapa Haka Competition

Written by:

Poi: Manutuke, 1; Huinga Taniwha, 2; Bernard Fergusson, 3.

2003 junors with good poi pic's 2003

Althought based around the schools the real competion begins with adults, and (my fav) Taiaha exhibitions and the winner is decleared grandmaster for the year and given teaching rite's.That is just 1 tribal style and there are others that do not compete. And its not only reserved for men. women warriors

Non-Https Image Link

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

snarky? pfft.

wink

-v-

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Thats awesome Dragon. There is so much preparation involved for those comps I am well impressed

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

TeeJaymember
75 posts

Posted:
We're gearing Samoan Fireknife Dancing to someday be an Olympic sport. Whether it ever happens or not, we are changing the judging accordingly - in Hawaii and Apia they judge mostly according to showmanship, which is very subjective. Here in Pago we are going to have technical judges who make sure knives are to spec, all required moves are done, and drops are counting. We'll have 3 technical and 3 "regular" judges (who judge speed and showmanship).
Hopefully - this will catch on at other competitions and even the playing field a bit.
Happy Turkey Day !
Teejay

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wow hottie Maori ladies eek i'd love to get my butt kicked by some of those gals. sith babes!
and probably the coolest tats i've ever seen. tongue man i'd love to see that someday...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: