Forums > Social Chat > How to photo fire play

Login/Join to Participate

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hi,
You know those really cool pictures of the spinners, (glow and fire) that still have the amazing tails with like 3 rings still around there body before the disipate, which even our eyes can't pick up, does anyone know how to take pictures like that, the plain ones just show the burning wick and thats it mostly, I know its something to do with shutter speeds, should i slow it down or speed it up?, i have quite a good 5 million pixel digital camera and I think i can adjust the exposure value and things which I think is something to do with it but not sure, can someone help confused

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
slow speeds. You could go into a lot of detail and technical specifics but if you just want something that will work set it to 1-2 second exposures and it should give you decent trails

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
There's a HoP article handily called: Tips on taking photos and filming fire performers

There's a couple of other threads already out there as well, so also try a search.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ok thanks will try ti tonight, if anyone else happens to have a sony digital camera and knows what i should do, because you guys say change the exposure o deley of 1-2 seconds, but it doesnt have seconds, the exposure goes from 0 E.V.(normal) and Either all the way down to -2.0E.V. and the other way to +2.0EV, what's that about, manual isnt too confused helpful

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... there are some good threads in the past that have done well to explain this. At least with a manual SLR.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Thats your environmental compensation. If you don't have a manual setting you can use that. - will give you less exposure (faster shutter speed) + will give you more exposure (longer shutter)

Like they all said check out the other threads, theres a lot of information on here

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
thanks, will try tonight! watch this space!

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
what you're looking for is "S" mode on you camera

Most digitals use "S" for shutter priority (you change how long the shutter opens and the appature is automatic) "A" (appature priority, the opposite) M (manual, you change both) and "auto" (it changes both)

If you don't have that, urm, you're a bit stuck perhaps.

Oh and a tip that I've found fun. Use a flash. No really. If you use a flash on a long exposure you get the performer captured in a moment at the start/end of the exposure and trails added to the photo. A nice twist on fire photography.

And I just realised this is mentioned in that article, but for anyone who can't be bothered to click it there we go. my top tip smile

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

OzE_QTBRONZE Member
64 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if your camera has a night time mode but that's what I use on my camera (It has very simple settings for photography dummies like me! wink)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
thanks, maybe it has an S mode but i can't seem to find it, tis not some shoddy 100 quid digital (sorry!!) so i would have thought it should have it, if any of you are photo heniuses out there its the sony DCS-P12? sort blueish quite small i think it retails for around 400, i'll try your tips guys thanks

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
I just looked the camera up. It's not an SLR camera so I am pretty sure you don't have loads of modes to choose from (if this camera has modes at all..). When I take pictures with my Minolta Dynax 40 I change into the Night mode and switch Exposure time on "bulb". That's a mode where you expose as long as you press the trigger. Very handy... So if you wanna get nice trails you might have to buy an new cam... frown Just check the mannual of the camera again... maybe it says something about exposure time settings...

"I see," said the blind man.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
I've just had a look at the features list for that camera here and it looks as if the closest you'll get is the 'Fireworks' mode. If you can, try changing the film speed to ISO 400 as this will make it more sensitive to light

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
thanks guys just had a chat with the guy in snappy snaps and he mentioned the ISO aswell and he said that the lower the better to get some tailsso hes aid more like 100, eeek!! will try both! thanks very much for taking the time to look it up! biggrin

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
Oops! he's probably right if he works in a camera shop. I'm kinda new to this whole camera thing as well. Don't forget to post some shots up in the gallery when they're done! beerchug

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Yes the photo dude is right: ISO 400 and 800 rolls are more light sensitive and grab the picture instantly that means it's sharp without trails. They are for sports photography etc. where you have very fast movements and want to "freeze" it. You should try to get an ISO 50. The lower the better...

SARAH

"I see," said the blind man.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
well mine has either automatic, 100,200 or 400 so i guess its 100 for me,really thanks very much guys, going to the guildford meet tomorrow so should hopefully get lots of cool pics then, must try it then, cheers and will definetly post them up on my gallery smile