Forums > Social Chat > The 3 Most Items Gone From Grocery Stores During A Hurricane

Login/Join to Participate

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I called my bro yesterday to find out how he was fairing in the hurricane. He lives in Cherry Point, South Carolina on the coast. When I was talking to him on his cell I could hear the wind and rain.

He was fine and said that later he was going to go back to the base and go to the barracks where the guys were throwing a hurricane party. The base is shut down because of the storm so every one is inside waiting out the storm.

Kaleb went to get some items before the storm hit. He said everything was gone off the shelves. He found a case of sunkist soda, banana nut muffins, and lots of water.

He said the 3 items the first to go when a hurricane is coming is batteries, flashlights, and beer ubblol

Yep that's right beer! I would prolly get food or something first and then the beer. But I forgot about people having hurricane parties rolleyes ubblol

Charlie was downgraded to a tropical storm, which is good. Kaleb said he could hear and feel the walls in his duplex vibrate and move like the duplex was breathing! I would like to experience a hurricane. I love storms. I've experienced tornadoes and I'm pretty used to them, well I don't get freaked out over them ubblol

The one thing I like about hurricanes compared to tornadoes, is that you have more time to prepare for its arrival and have time to get out and seek shelter. Tornado though...You're pretty much got only a few minutes to round up what you don't want to blow away and seek shelter underground.

Hope everyone is ok while hurricane/tropical storm season is going on hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Skippynewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Hay MISTESS AURORA IM Skippy I ubblove POI AND Chilli And you hug

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I think we're supposed to get the tail end of that hurricane here... Thenagain, they can't perdict weather for crap here, half the time it's the opposite of what they say it's going to be. Aah well! It's supposed to be a big hurricane season this year, too....

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
I love it when the weather forcasters put the symbol of a cloud with sun coming out the side and a raindrop out the bottom.

Non-Https Image Link

Why don't they admit they don't know what the weather is going to do today.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
they do. they know it will be sunny or cloudy or rainy. geesh, you give meteorologists no credit at all ubblol

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

pass_the_pigjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
Any disaster occurs, theres always a rush on tinned baked beans (heinz or otherwise). What is it about these oval little marvels?

I took my harp ta party, but no body asked me to play, so I took harp home again

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i get coke!! coke.... not that we have hurricanes here!

coke coke coke

passing through, this world still lives.

pass_the_pigjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
coke scares me, you leave some copper thats been burned in some impurities in coke overnight it'l have half of them stripped off by morning, and the magical coke people use coke to clean out there trucks. But now you've braught it up I could do with some, its a black fizzy menace!

I took my harp ta party, but no body asked me to play, so I took harp home again

1,032 posts

Posted:
Thank you Skippy hug wink

Ok I have a question...
When a hurricane or tropical storm are headed where you live, are people supposed to still go to work? Do they get time off before the storm is to hit so they can get their homes ready?

I'm just alil curious bounce

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was in japan during the biggest typhoon to hit japan in 63-64 years hit...is that similar to a hurricane? what is the difference with these things? cos you also mentioned a tornado.confused

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Rouge Dragon -- a typhoon, a hurricane and a cyclone are all the same things... All three are tropical depression storms, and it's just the name that changes, according to where it happened. [/random weather information]

... A tornado... Is a big whirly thing that sucks up stuff like cows and roofs... biggrin But that one's easy.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Umm.. hurrican preperations.. I didn't really see any... We just moved the lawn furniture in, and stuff... Closed the windows. Then ran up and down the street until we worried that the dog would get blown away. I know a guy who took a shower in the hurricane when we got hit... Strolled out on is driveway, in his boxers, got some soap, some shampoo, and got all clean.

And the hurricane parties... Oh man, the hurricane parties. lol!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I didn't go to any hurricane parties during Juan, I kinda just hid in my bed until we realized that my neighbor's tree had fallen ove,r so we went to see if everyone was ok.
I don't prepare for hurricanes, we just kind let ourselves get screwed over.
But man, Hurricane Charlie seemed like it did much more damage than just a tropical storm.

P*L*U*R

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yeah.. actually after I got bored of running around my street, I think I went in and studied frnehc by candle light.. .if I remember correctly, I had a major test or something the next day, Not that it mattered, because schools were closed for a week after that.

..then there was White Juan in Feb. ubblol

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
I live in Tampa, FL

We were supposed to get blasted by the hurricane, but it turned right at the last moment.

Mistress, To answer your question, Most people didnt go to work.
I didnt, but i still got paid for it....

I dont know why you would wish to be in something like that?
It is alot worse than any tornado could ever be! Did you see the pictures of the damages it did?

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

1,032 posts

Posted:
The damage is sort of like what happened in the May 3, 1999 tornado. I've seen the damage of the tornado first hand, although I've only seen hurricane damage on tv. It looks similar. One difference I see though is that with the tornado, the only thing left were the concrete foundations to houses and buildings. I still see some walls standing after a hurricane.

I am just wanting to experience a hurricane, but I won't be stupid about it. Same goes for a tornado. I would like to see more, but I know where they are heading and I know enough to stay out of their way or seek shelter if it starts to get worse.

I am just a weather geek. I understand you not wanting people to go and experience a hurricane, I do also towards people who want to be in a tornado. That'a why there are tornado tours. (people who know alil about tornadoes and are payed by tourists, most out of country people, to chase a storm and catch it producing a tornado and filming it as a suveniere(sp)). Most of those people I wouldn't trust to get me across the street!

smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I was in Belize 2001 during 'hurricane Chantel', we all got moved inland, the storm was downgraded to tropical storm and it drizzled a bit........ lame. A little disappointing I have to admit, but it was just a couple of months later that southern Belize was hit by another hurricane, and left the area devastated, as the majority of buildings were wooden. It always sounds like a nice idea in a stable concrete building, but during that trip I saw a few examples of what hurricanes can do and have done.....

nevertheless i love storms, and there is something quite attractive about the idea of being in a hurricane or chasing a tornado, experiencing the sheer force of nature! It may well have devastating effects but just like in Boscastle yesterday, there really is nothing that can be done to prevent these things....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.