stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
ive been trying this for a while but i cant seem to get it to work..
say youre spinning with one staff in each hand, is it at all possible to swop hands confused
haha, that didnt make any sense.. once again

ok, has anyone managed to switch the staffs to the other hand, behind your back for example? umm

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
benders site has some interesting swop(?)s, wish I had more time to explain, but a swop can be done from anywhere, it's just in how you hold your hands(also from the butterfly type movements, it may be able to be done otherwise, but I can't do it). Tuck your stick in between your thumb and first finger, and straighten out all of your other fingers. Make the swop by crossing your thumbs then your hands, passing the staff from the thumb in one hand to the palm/fingers of the other hand. Need to go play to explore more possible swops eh..good luck!!

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
or using throws too.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
contact moves like the halo roll are good for swaps too smile

swapping is a whole other side of the art - and its an art worth you learning! wink

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
awww i got all excited about swoopingness

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
to be sure, swaps are an important family of doubles movements.
if you are finding it hard to jump straight into swapping movements, it is much easier to pretend to swap.
staff swapping is so very, very subtle in my opinion.
Technically aware audience will fully appeciate this easily missed portion of a fire routine. So just pretending by moving the sticks together will (at least in my own experience) have negligible impact on how spectaculer your routine will be.
When i am asked to teach any swapping combo, i teach this 'cheating' version first, becuase sometimes it is necessary to minimise movement complexity to allow for smoother learning and to minimise risk during performances.

And as every good polygamist knows, swapping sticks is easier and less messy than swapping wives.
verily.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hey swoops are important too wink i think bender mastered the art of swooping a long time ago biggrin biggrin

Mister bendles taught me how to cheat- then he taught me how to swap too - then mister Cantus got this wicked btl swapping / cheating all mixed together thing which looks wicked all because of mister bender and his swapping inspiration.

Go for it - i think it really adds a lot of depth to the 'same old cirlces'

and, as mister Klaymen pointed out you can use throws to swap the staffs from one hand to the other. IMHO swaps look especially nice with glow toys of different colours - it really confuses whoever's watching (unless they're mister Josh or mister Bender cos they'll know exactly what you're doing......)

biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Swaps are definitely one of the harder double staff moves. I suck at it! I can swap the sticks over but it still looks forced which is not a good twirling look, still, take the time to learn it, I am. wink
bender - Can I steal you for a while at Earthcore to teach me some yummy moves??!! Pretty please with a cherry on top (and maybe some ice cream too if your very lucky) biggrin

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i will teach to anyone willig to love twirling biggrin
it'll probably be wise to bounce ideas off eachother @ EC while verbal communication is still possible.

again, i stress that even if you practice every day, your time is still finite.
in other words, try not to spend twice as long on a swapping variation that is pretty much indistinguishable from a cheating-swap.

being smart with what time you have to practice is the subtle lesson behind how many twirlers seem to blossom overnight. It is also the reason as to why the question "how long have you been twirling" means little to me.

twirl smarter, not harder. peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Yes, that is all very true...And yep, we are bound to bounce ideas off each other (as well as the odd staff or two) I am sure that between us we can come up with all kinds of crazy new stuff biggrin Yay! Twirlies *happy dance*
Thanks bender hug

Eveish

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!