Forums > Social Chat > Ok, where do I get music?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) has essentially shut down AudioGalaxy. According to a lawsuit that was settled today, AudioGalaxy can only share music with prior approval of the artist. Thus, even non-RIAA artists' music cannot be traded on AG at this time because nobody has gotten around to giving them permission. And a lot of artists are never going to get around do it. So thanks to the greed of the RIAA, they have basically managed to censor people from trading music from non-RIAA artists.

And this, folks, is why I will not buy any music that is produced by a RIAA label. Only independents. Welcome to the United Corporations of America.

So, anyone know where else to go to trade music? The Gnutella network is OK, but slow and with a limited selection.

Oh, and I have a Mac.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
First off I would like to say YOU HAVE A MAC!!!

YOUR GOIN TO HELL FOR THAT ONE!! J/K

Naw I would like to know where to get some good music too, so any info would be really nice.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I think they've practically killed all download sites these days. Fuckers. The best place to get music from is probably a shop called FOP in Scotland....... people could always give me orders and I could send them. CD's in FOP are soooooooooooooooooo cheap. But this is not really much help to anyone is it? No, shut up Dibs! Erm, yet the nasty legal men have killed all download sites. They are ruining our empire!!!

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What empire, Dibs? We have no empire. They're just trying to assimilate our non-empire of independent artists into their empire.

I can't think of a swear word that adequately sums up my feelings about them. I think the word is "greedy." It's not a swear word, but I consider it a much worse insult than any vulgarity I have in my vocabulary. And it's not even an insult, per se. It's just a statement of fact.

-Mike

rasputinamember
23 posts

Posted:
argh! so is that why audiogalaxy hasnt been working? i was wondering about that... i better go check this out. damn stupid record industry types.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
with audiogalaxy down, there has been more selection on the gnutella network. I personally use limewire, and have found a decent amount of music I want. just takes a little time searching.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
^^^Argh is that why AudioGalaxy & aimster were not working yesterday. Of course this would happen right when I get high speed internet access...

this might seem like a weird request..but anybody got Beethovens moonlight Sonata on Mp3 that they wanna send maybe via icq or summin'?

Om Namah Sivaya

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
does nobody use kazzaa? its bloody brilliant. Use Kazaalite though cos then no spyware. U can get it from cnet.com and i found it better than audiogalaxy and dare i say it napster on a 56k modem.

vic xx

ps if my advice to u leads to the shut down of kazzaa, i will hunt you all down...

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I use kazaar. I think it uses the gnutella network, and some other sources. There tends to be a fairly good selection, anyway, hence my downloads file reaching about 2Gb now.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Not sure if you've tried these but:

Morpheus
Lime Wire
Edonkey2000

Don't really know any others but hope this helps.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Sorry did a say Our empire - i meant MY empire
*Dibs slaps herself for not being amusing*

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
THIS IS HORRIBLE!
It explains alot though.. i was in the middle of getting an album, and i got dissconnected, and now i cant find ANYTHING on AG..
Thought it may have been a copyright cerfuffle..
*sigh* looks like my leeching days are over. zTime to PAY for music

Fire... A bushmans telly

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
WinMX is an IBM thing I guess... I usually race Morpheus against WinMX and see who wins... with my dialup modem I usually just select 10 songs and go run errands, then return and see which three I got.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
NYC, I still prefer WinMx. It is way easier to use than Morpheus IMO. Kinda like napster

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sarah, I have no problem paying for music. The problem is that the artists I like are mostly independent and it's hard to find their music in stores. So I'd pay for it if I could find it.

What I believe the RIAA is trying to do is keep ANYONE from listening to ANY music that isn't theirs. As if shutting down AG is going to turn me into a Britney Spears fan.

-Mike

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
https://foozone.net:81/mp3/
...Erm, oops.
Lotsa music there. at least
Copying more over too, haven't moved all my mp3s into one place lately.

byron76member
11 posts

Posted:
all of you fine folks need to go to: www.afternapster.com

stay away from kazaa m.d. (use kazaalite)

edonkey and winmx are pretty cool
(if you can, become a server)
the empire will never shut us down, we just have to stay on top of them by packing up our files and moving on to the next program each time they shut down the big guys
AG we will miss you :-(

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
umm mike¿ i gotta agree with raymund on this one. all willing mac users are going to hell. unless ur forced to use a mac because you cant afford anything else, but you need to vist HOP at least once a day. then your forgiven by the computer gods.

*back on topic, sometime later...*

for those of us who are willing to put out a little cash, and dont have mp3 players, just old-fashioned diskmans, when napster gets running again, you can pay like $10 a month or something to download songs in .nap format. its an mp3 file, but its been modified to not work on mp3 players. isn't that sad ¿ but i'm sure that some MIT kid with lots of time will make a program to convert your .nap files to mp3's so you can use your tiny ass mp3 players and the like. me, im content to haul around that huge, heavy thing that uses those big scratchable peices of plastic.
i doesnt look like i have beef with mp3 player ppl does it¿ i dont want to offend anyone who uses one, but i just think its funny as hell that they finally figured out a way to make legal file sharing. the get rid of the format that started it all.

hehe!

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~