Forums > Social Chat > j.k.rowling - satan's minion or pure coincidence?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
rasputinamember
23 posts

Posted:
harry potter is indoctrinating your kids in the ways of satan!

thought i'd post the link to an old website which is quite amusing. takes some sifting through but its worth it.

i particularly like the theory that harry potter books are conditioning children to accept the coming of the next antichrist. or i think thats what they were trying to say

its one of those moral christians of america sites explaining exactly why harry potter is so evil they should not let their kids within spitting distance of a copy ( unless they're spitting on its evil, satanic teachings under parental supervision)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahhahhahahahaahahhahaahahah!!

It took me a damn long time to read through all that but coming from someone who has studied religions and felt the draw to paganism, that is profoundly funny and messed up!
I love Harry Potter books and share them with my child.
I know the difference between reality and fiction, and think the man who wrote that neither knows occultism nor christianity to make such stupid accusations.
I shared this with a friend who has been studying for years to be a Druid, and he thinks it is funny.

Oh, and surely I must be satanistic since I adore the color green!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The scar on Harry's forehead is conditioning kids for the mark fo satan? Er, right...

Very funny to read their rather bizzare arguments, but also very, very scary! These people have loud voices and love to force opinions on other people. Can't we set up a new country where all these people can go and live while the rest of us happily trot off to eternal damnation in peace and quiet?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
thats rather disturbing...

and the man actually is an idiot, and if i remember correctly, wasn't "666" never even a sign of the devil, and stupid people like these somehow derived it, and then made it into a symbol of evil?

bah, silly stupid people...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Did you know the number 666 appears on every barcode? On each barcode are 3 pairs of calibration lines, on either end and the middle. You can tell which ones they are as they extend into the numbers. There's an international code for barcodes that is almost universal. In this code this pair of lines codes for the number 6, therefore reading 666! Have a look at a barcode now. It'll probably have a number 6 in the code as well so you can verify this is actually true! I kid you not! The mark of Satan is everywhere, adn when we all get branded with a barcode we'll all have the mark on us!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
IMHO I am a Christian and I have also read all the Harry Potter books. When I first heard of the Harry Potter books I was against them then I actually read them and I must admit they are a great story, some of the most well written story books of all times. I look forward to seeing the next book.

I think that kids will love, whatever new thing comes out. In ten years nobody will care about Harry Potter except for the real fans like our Star Wars and Star Trek Fans. I think there a some Christians out there that spook really easaly.

I enjoyed the books I have read the first five and have not gotten a lets all worship satan idea from them. I also play an online game called Ultima Online. There is a lot of magery in there and I have yet to try to cast a spell in real life. I think that those Christians are just being paranoid, they also probably believe that Christ will come back the exact way that the Left Behind books say he will. Both of those book series are Fictional!

This is major over reacting

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
is it 4 or 5 books ?
when's the next book gonna be released ????

::eagerly awaiting and remembering our beloved Orange the wizzard in harry Potter's next film::

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
and I did not mean released ... I meant published...

and also, this reminds me that someone dear to me who used to post on this website also told me that his father who is a pastor (or whatever it's called in english ???) has given him a long speach about how bad Harry Potter is for the soul. I first thought he was joking but in the end I realized that he'd had a major fight oevr that with his dad and it made me real sad.

I don't like censorship, especially when it is that absurd...

shine on
cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

2,905 posts

Posted:
There are 5 books but I have no idea when the next one is comming out! She is annoyingly unpredictable.

rasputinamember
23 posts

Posted:
im sure theres only four... 3 medium ones and a big fat one!

rasputinamember
23 posts

Posted:
ooh, and i forgot - the film was soooo funny! but for all the wrong reasons. i watched it with a friend who'd seen it before and liked it, and completely ruined his enjoyment of harry potter cos i just sat and laughed at the terrible child actors and the cheesiness of the script. and the irritatingness of hermione, and randomly screaming i want real live chocolate frogs! but apart from that, the film was great!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There are four right now:

Book one: HArry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Book Two: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Book Three: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Book Four: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Book Five has not yet been released but if you sign onto any of the numerous websites or Amazon.com you will be notified the moment it is released.

We just saw the preview this past weekend for the 2nd movie (it is a trailer for Scooby-Doo), which looks more adventurous than the first but just as fun. It is due out in November this year.

As for me, I am still biding my time for the next installment of yet another "Satanic" series of books-turned-movies....Lord of the Rings!

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
And I never really answered your question Rasputina about J.K.ROwlings being Satan's minion or coincedence. Truly I think it is neither. Just yet another exceptionally imaginative literary figure pushing boundaries that people fear. *sigh*

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My personal favorite is the link to the book called "Wicca: Satan's Little White Lie."

Gee, I wonder what they have to say about MY religion?

Let's make no mistake. This is not a Christian site. This is a hate site, nothing more. They may claim Christianity and wave a cross, but they are not Christians. Not even close.

[ 19 June 2002, 09:36: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
My goodness! What a load of crap that web site is!!

Just a few thoughts of mine:

One of the primary beliefs in Wicca is that whatever you put out into the world will come back to you thricefold. Therefore, to go out and worship evilness or to try to do evil things to others would be amazingly stupid. Why would do try to do something bad to someone if you believed that badness would come back to you 3 times worse?

Wicca is not satanism (see above explaination). I'm not even going to go into all the things that are wrong on that site because they're based off of this single mis-understanding.

Oh by the way, Magic doesn't work. You can wave whatever wand you want and say whatever incantations you want AND toss whatever powders you want into a fire and your feather STILL isn't going to levitate all by itself. (well, if you toss some gun powder into the fire the explosion might move the feather. But that's hardly magic is it?) Magic doesn't work for Wiccans (It's actually all symbolism), it doesn't work for Chistians, it doesn't work for satanist, it doesn't work period. It's myth, it's fiction, J.K.Rowling MADE IT ALL UP! If you think that your kids are going to learn to wave a wand and levitate a feather then you have bigger problems than your kids.

One last thing. It is very common in Wicca to be taught lessons of tolerence for other belief systems. This is so prevelent that when my step daughter was studying to become a priestess she had to present a lecture on 2 different religious belief systems or mythologies not related to her own beliefs. This was to make sure that she could understand why other people believe the way they do and thus help teach her the lesson of compassion for others.

It's too bad that the people who wrote that web page havn't learned the same lesson.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
They are learning Dru. They are on their path, it will simply take them a few more lives to get there methinks!

We are all where we need to be in our journey, learning what we need to learn, even these people. As much as they say we are brainwashed, so say many of us about them. Eh. It is how it is.

What I appreciated as humor was the claim that he was a "Black Magic Wizard", as if that made him an expert in Wicca??? Somehow, I don't believe that. Yet, I loved the whole thing about "You must learn about the misguidings of wicca in order to witness them". Ummm...no thanks. Now, i was brought up Spiritualist and Pagan. There are so many different septs, level, circles, traditions....and I love this whole little catch all he has working.

My sister is a bible beater, straight out over my head, but I don't buy into her redderick. Those who have the convinction in whatever they believe will not be affected by such jargon. Those who need to go down that road will.

And did anyone else check out the article about Harry Potter being the perfect reason to NOT allow your child to go to school? Jeez! It's all an excuse. But still, it makes my friends and I laugh!

Pele

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
When I was younger, I was told that my AD&D books were a tool of the devil. But I showed them all when I opened a rift into the depths of hell and banished them forever!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If I truly hate anything in this world it is those people in "concerned parent groups" that make propaganda like that. The ones who take their own narrow interperatation of the bible and feel the need to force it on everyone else (some even by law, in cases like focus on the family and the P.M.R.C., and some groups even by gun point like in the case of the Posse Cumatatis). They are Christian supremicists, and they are no better than white supremicists or male supremicists. I get so pissed off when I read crap like that, it makes me feel really violent.

I am in no way down on Christians, not at all, but these people are bigots and should be dealt with as such. I wish someone would start a Christians against Christian supremacey orginization.

Jesus taught his deciples to teach the gospel with love and humility. These people are preaching with pride and contempt. I hope there is going to be a second coming of Christ, when he gets back he is going to be pissed.

[ 19 June 2002, 13:08: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont think supremicists is the right word. None the less it is doubtfull that the parents even read the books. Something interesting for you all...

JRR Tolkin is (was now that he is dead) a Christian, his books contain just as much magic and more violence, than the Potter books, so one would think that there would be a Christian ban on LOTR. Just kind of interesting.

rasputinamember
23 posts

Posted:
i wasnt brought up with any particular religion, although one set of grandparents were catholic. however, i have a slight leaning towards wicca, which ill probably explore more in earnest once im done with crappy a-levels. my heads crammed with useless facts about greek tragedy and edward albee at the moment. but i know enough about wicca right now to be able to pick so many holes in that website.

im not completely down on christians and i try to be open minded about religions, and actually find it all interesting, without being particularly religious. however, i do have issues with the religious types who try to convert u, and tell u ur going to hell. im sure u all know the type. the kind who chase u down camden high street with their megaphones.

and im in the process of re-reading that site, but i remember thinking when i read it ages ago, that for religious ppl, they did seem to be promoting a hell of a lot of hate. and theyre just perpetuating the misconception that wiccans worship satan. two of my friends at college were under that impression, and we all got involved in a big religious debate, which i usually try and avoid i managed to correct their views, but unfortunately, ppl like the authors of that site will not be swayed. cos, come on, their views are the only right views, arent they? if they took on board anyone else's view, or did a bit of research, they might have to become - heaven forbid it! - tolerant!

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Holy, Malleus Maleficarum Batman!! Is this guy a Kook!!!!!

As a pagan and reader of any good literature I am both humored and offended by people this this.

I seriously am ashamed that my country produces people like this hate mongering close minded idiot.
But on the other hand if we didn't have people like this Jerry Springer woundn't have as much material to go on.

*sigh*
"God, save me from your followers"

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ray....There are ***several*** christian activist groups against Tolkien, my sister belongs to one.
They are also against C.S.Lewis, who authored the Narnia Chronicles (The Lion, The Witch and the Wordrobe for those who are unfamiliar). If you read the Chronicles, they really are a disguised commentary of a political and religious nature, but far more than that, they are just enjoyable.

This is not a new thing. THis is not an isolated thing. Check out the banned book list sometime. It is really amazing. Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm are usually in the top 5. And always in the number one position of the banned book list, can you guess?

The Holy Bible: for being sexually explicit and having excessive amounts of violence.

Ahhhhh...the stuff my school papers were based on!

Pele

2,905 posts

Posted:
Mike, I can not agree with you on that one. I think this has to do with Chritianity, Wicca and Witchcraft. You are right however that there is some hate flowing around. I do not 100% blame the Christians here, they could have been a bit more tactfull in their approach but just because a child reads a book about a kid who is a wizerd does not mean that that kid is going to drop all the teachings his Christian parents bestowed on it and join some cult (I am not saying Wicca and Witchcraft are cults make you own opinion on those). I can sypothise on both sides of the argument. I think the Harry Potter books are great stories, a fictional masterpiece to be taken at nothing more than face value. However I can understand where the Christians are comming from.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Wow Pele, that is some interesting stuff
I honestly had no idea that Christians didnt like Tolkin and Lewis they were both Christians both were actually best friends, both were a bit koo koo but then again arnt we all! Amazing this world aint it.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i find that there are christians against tolkein and cs lewis incredibly amusing, seeing as cs lewis WAS a christian and his narnia charactor the Lion, was based on the works of Jesus Christ... HA! thats just funny

My whole family is religious.. (thats probably not the right word... spiritual?) and they LOVE harry potter! as i do.

I think there are way too many ppl who go to extremes, and cross the boundary of "religion" and waltz straight into "cultism". If they want to follow the word of God, Jesus, Whoever ect ect, maybe they missed the part about Tolerance, and Loving their fellow man??? *shrug* ppl are weird, and too easily manipulated `

FYI! the fifth harry potter has been delayed for release, JK Rowling has some personal issues which means she is unable to release the fifth book at this time. I did hear a particularaly nasty rumour that it was postponed for a year, but that could have been my brother just trying to make me cry...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, no, I'm pretty shure supremicist is the right word. Maybe not the right spelling but definately the right word.

[ 20 June 2002, 15:17: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
When I was younger, I was told that my AD&D books were a tool of the devil. But I showed them all when I opened a rift into the depths of hell and banished them forever!
*rolling dice*

LOL! My stepfather thought my whole group who got together and played D&D were conducting seances and plotting the hostile takeover of his soul....hehe...heh...funny how no one's really seen him in years....

quote:
"God, save me from your followers"
Aint that the truth

[ 20 June 2002, 16:54: Message edited by: Nyx ]

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
theyre just perpetuating the misconception that wiccans worship satan.
to add to that: "Satan" and "hell" are Christian inventions. There is no conceptualized satan or hell in wicca or paganism (as in earth religions) in general for that matter. Christians decided to use the Green Man as proof that witches worshipped the devil: they modified the concept of that deity to fit their own needs - Christianizing/Romanizing the various pagan groups so as to maintain state control over those same groups.
my 0.02

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, in the old testament the word Satan isn't even in there, but that is another story.
It's a long debate about Satan being a Christian religion, "Christian" of course meaning to believe in the life of Christ, doesn't mean you had to like or approve of the life, just believe he had an impact.
Hell, however, is not a concept created by Christians, it is a concept ADAPTED by the Chrisitan faith. Underworld, torturous places exsisted in **NUMEROUS** indigenious and historical faiths.
Look at Tartarous in the Greek Mythos, for one example. Polynesians believed their "hell" to exsist within the mouths of active volcanoes. Egyptians were judged by Osiris, and if their hearts did not weigh pure then they were damned.
The eternal damnation trick is an oldie, yet evidentally one people continue to buy into.

As for Tolkien and Lewis, sometimes the greatest enemy comes from within the castle walls. Actually, Aslan the Lion was based on the Christian God, not Jesus...but he was used to make political statments about the churchs ability of condemnation and salvation, among other things. It was believed Tolkien chose the hidden evil within the good in order to make statements on the church. This was never really a question of faith for either author. They both had strong faith, but both had very strong socio-political beliefs as well, and those did not coincide with the church.
Now it is simplified to inclusion of magic and of things "evil" in order to flare up the religios right. Eh. I will still curl up with my book, though sometimes I wonder how close Bradbury was with his Farenheit 451. Scary to think about it.

Did you also know that Dr. Suess (a personal hero) is on the banned book list for encouraging drug use. I suppose anything that takes real imagination needs drugs to those who are blindly led.
One of my favorite quotes: "There is no blinder man than a man with a mission."

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh no. I know many Christians who do not believe in Christ as their Savior. Yes they need to believe Jesus was the son of God, or some relation to God (for those who believe they are one and the same). I forgot to put that in, and thank you for adding that. However, I know many, many old school Catholics who feel that to worship Jesus as the Savior is blasphemy, because Jesus *is* not Lord, God is. Jesus was simply used as a vessel for Gods words.

I too believe Christ was a real man. I believe he was exceptional of mind and curious. He was not the purist soul of the bunch, however, and there is much documentation to prove that. I also believe that Heracles was also a real man. I believe that Finn McCoul was as well. All legend is somewhere along the line based on truth, and like in the "telephone game", truth becomes distorted through oral tradition and interpretation. I am no Christian.
I am simply me, with my faith and my conviction.

And also, I disagree, Dru, magic is very real, you just have to believe. There is an amazing amount of power in conviction. No it doesn't transform a toad into a prince (don't I wish!) but still, in good Christian faith what we call magic, they call prayer and miracles. It's all in a name and belief Dru, it's all in a name!

And, along those lines...I just named two of my recent rehab acquisitions (two bearded dragon babies) Gandolf and Merlin, since it is going to take a fair bit of magic to bring them back to life!

[ 21 June 2002, 11:03: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Mike is right Pele,
quote:
A Christian needs to believe that Jesus Christ is the son of G-d and that the only way to G-d is through Jesus Christ as your savior.

Christian, meaning through and of Christ. If you believe in God, but you seek him through any means other than Jesus you are not following a Christian path. The whole Jesus card is really (to make a huge generalization) one of the big diffirences between Christianity and the Jewish faith (or at lest in the beginning, now they are miles apart). They both believe in God but being Jewish has always been considerd un-Christian. My Girlfriend just graduated from Seminary school and we used to debate this subject for hours. It basicly come down to the fact that if Jesus is not your "Lord and Saviour" then you are not a Christian, whether you believe in God or not.

Page: