Forums > Social Chat > Not Welcome - #*@% Off!!!

Login/Join to Participate

wanderinglintonmember
31 posts

Posted:
So one of my mates here just went to Korea to watch the world cup.

As a wee bit of background he's one of the most peaceful and spiritual people that I know and does not have a violent bone in his body.

He was met at the airport on arrival in Korea (they knew when he was coming and were waiting for him) and was told "You are a known troublemaker and are not yet on Korean soil. You are not welcome in Korea - go back to Taiwan."

Apparently they had a photo of him at a legal demonstration against the WTO when he was in Prague and is now on some international database of "Known Troublemakers".

So now, aside from all the money he spent on tickets and accommodation and the loss of having a holiday that he'd been looking forward to, he has to face the fact that he might (who knows) get denied entry to some country he wishes to go and visit, and whatever anyone wants to do with this list of people.

Where is this world going to when peaceful participation in a legal demonstration which is a fundamental cornerstone of democracy, (which most people would agree is the best form of government we've stumbled across so far) gets you residence on an international database of known troublemakers.

Isn't this the sort of thing that we the (relatively) free world is supposedly fighting against in the oppressive regimes?

wanderinglinton

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
that is a really scarey story there. i feel for your friend. wondering what else my put you on this list? Democracy is a funny thing if you ask me. here in the states ours is being taken away from us slowly and very few see it. we have less and less say in what we do as a nation and shit we don't even get to elect our presidents anymore.

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Really sorry to read about that !!!! I admit it ade me very angry : Big brother's watching you ... but not only is he watching but apparently not watching the right persons...

waht can I say that has not been said 10000 times. We all know of the problem ... so what are the solutions ? I don't know if you can legally sew them (pardon my spelling) and / or whatnot...

I am really sorry for your friend, sweet one !!! I think the Koreans / Japanses freaked out big time trying to protect their countries from hooligans (who, by the way DO exist and deserve to NOt be granted entrance in countries where soccer cups are held IMO)that they do silly paranoid things ... However, I would not stop calling them democracies for that matter... OR, I'd stop calling any ountry including my own a democracy.

shine on
Cass

[ 18 June 2002, 01:35: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Is Korea a Democratic nation?

If it is, maybe they voted to keep him out? If he's not a citizen of Korea then Democracy worked perfectly in that situation. I don't want some foreigners in my country that are known for being trouble-makers.

Just a thought for perspective.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
PWB, I understand your point, but then again, I don't think Wanderinglinton's friend is any troublemaker. I don't think going to a demonstration to word your opinion is trouble making at all... what do you think ?

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
That sucks!!
On the topic of Big Brother this is part of a news story Thistle sent me: affecting the UK

'From NHS executives to your local council, the Department of Work and Pensions to the Department for Transport; from the Home Office to the Post Office all could be getting the same powers of surveillance as the police... these organisations will be able to make telephone companies and internet service providers hand over detailed personal information on any of us - without a court order.'

When was the democratic vote to loose freedom? I must have slept thro that!!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
PWB, I understand your point, but then again, I don't think Wanderinglinton's friend is any troublemaker. I don't think going to a demonstration to word your opinion is trouble making at all... what do you think ?
I think that you're probably right. However, from their point of view maybe they just decided that everyone they can identify who was at that demonstration was a troublemaker. I can't speak for them, of course, but I was just throwing something out there. It's the only thing I could think of that explains the situation.
I'll admit that it's a real bummer and I hope things work out for the friend.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I think that it is completely awful that your friend was denied access there buddy. IMO your friend should demand that the list be destroyed and/or all names on it removed.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bram:
I think that it is completely awful that your friend was denied access there buddy. IMO your friend should demand that the list be destroyed and/or all names on it removed.
I agree wholeheartedly, and while he's at it see if they could help him win the lottery too.
I think I'll demand that all the points on my driver's license be removed from record. In fact, all points on everyone's licenses should be removed. I'll demand it!

What you said doesn't make a lot of sense. If he DEMANDS to be removed from the Trouble-Maker list, then that would enforce his staying on it. A better course of action would be to determine exactly how he got on it, excatly what consitutes being a "trouble maker" and finding out how to get himself off of said list.