Forums > Social Chat > citypeople/country people

Login/Join to Participate

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever noticed that people who have grown up in or around cities and towns crave to visit or move or emmigrate to the "countryside" and vice versa

or is that just me confused???

ubbangel

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

kermitoverlord and maggot king
171 posts

Posted:
some people, im quite happy to stay right here in the city, but i still enjoy trips to my beach house and the midnight beach twirls we have.

welcome back to kermits mad land.

wont you join my teaparty.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i was born in a city, went to school in a village and grew up in a town.

in a perfect world where i don't have to work, i'd like to live on a beach or up a mountain.

i heart london.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I know what your saying. But I've grown up in the country and couldn't imagine wanting to live in the city. Though I have friends who I grew up with who took their first chance to go to the city.
I don't think I'd like it much. I'd miss the water, the air, the friendly atmosphere and especially the stars. The stars are so bright here. Give me a tree and a rocky creek any day.

Live, love, laugh and dance!

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
on my visit to cornwall last week i was introduced to a girl who grew up in cornwall went to uni in liverpool did egyptology, and went back and she works in a gallery in falmouth, i just died when i saw the place, shes got a sea view, at WORK !

I think living on the south coust for nearly a year i have not liked the journey back to london, dont get me wrong, i really miss the london meets but its so god damn natural and pretty and laid back, yet there are jobs!
Dont get me wrong though london people are sweet as wink

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Ahh yes majik the stars and natural sites sounds and feelings no gentle hum of the m11 but the gentle shhh of the ocean !

oops i'm starting to sound like a hippy now eek hehe
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1092226342)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

171 posts

Posted:
the stars, i love the stars from the beach, or when im away with venturers, ill stay up all night with a girl in my arms watching the sky and twirling

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Awww....
this is all very nice to think about indeed
ubblove

Live, love, laugh and dance!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i hate cities. Even a day trip to london is enough to do my head in. Its all busy busy and rush rush everywhere. The smell though, its horrible! Here air is fresh, cos were slap bang next to the sea, but in london, it smells of fumes and of stale yukiness. Give me the countryside anyday smile

171 posts

Posted:
im such a softy when it comes to twirling and fire, my one weakness, that and im scared of the dark, so i love the flame, it brings light and warmth

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I have to say - the stars at Falmouth were just beautiful. You hear so much about light pollution near London taking away 80% of the stars but driving from one to the other within 24 hours the difference was amasing. So pretty.

I don't think I'm really a Country or City person - I live in "Rural Suburbia" I think (never been quite sure what that means) so can get to open countryside in 5 minutes or a large town in 15 smile

Quite a happy comprimise

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
I think i like being a small city person - I like the fact that it can take half an hour to get out to the bush, or half an hour to get to the ocean, or half an hour in the other direction to get into the heart of Perth.
We might not have a big city here, but we have a city enough with clubs and pubs and resturants, and the countryside close by for bushwalking, cycling, and lovely river for kayaking, and a beautiful coastline for fishing and swimming, and everything we need on our doorstep without the pollution of other cities, and the press of people and i love the fact that you are always bumping into new people, who already know people you know.
Perth is small like that, everyone tends to know someone who knows someone that you know. I think i'll miss that.

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Bizzarre about the egyptologist Jem! smile
My sis grew up in devon and went to study Egyptology in Liverpool (where our mum comes from), but she stayed there.
I'm pretty sure she wasn't at falmouth though.
And I'm pretty sure she doesn't spin. wink

Grew up in a large village myself and hated it with a censored passion!
Not the place though, the people. Bunch of scummy thugs! (I am solely refering to my village! NOT country people in general!)
Now live + work in Plymouth but want to move back into the country asap, especially since I now have a kid (2 soon) smile
So much cleaner, healthier, calmer.
And I find:- more chilled out people (generally) meditate

Mags - watching police torches drawing closer - runs over to his poi:
"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
I've lived in and around London all my life and can't wait for the day I move away from the place.

As Amiee said it's rush, rush, rush, cars and people everywhere. I'm for the country .
As soon as I'm back at work, my place is up for sale and I'm off to the coast.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
Personally, I think that some people can't relax enough to slow their lifes down to enjoy country life & there are some people who can't handle the speed of city life. For those people I think they'd love to visit but not too stay. Just like people with curly hair want straight hair & vice versa, but few are happy with the change and will often times go back to what they know & are used to.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i moved to london 2 yers ago after living in somerset for my whole life.

i think london is possibly the smelliest place in the world. when i get of the train home in the holidays i nearly pass ut from REAL air!

cities suck, and having the cinema nearby is no compensation either.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
ive lived in a city all my life.

Its nice to get away to the country at the weekends but i always seem to have to go without things because the shop closes at about 3 and they dont sell silver rizla! wink rolleyes

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I was brought up in the country, and hate cities with a passion.
I loath the smell, the pollution, the dirtiness, the graffiti, the crime, the grime, the rush, and the fact that everyone... just..... won't....... slow.......... down.

I thrive in the countryside and the wilderness.
I love the emptiness of it all, and the fact that nature can make you feel so small.
I love taking deep breaths, and knowing how much cleaner the air is.
I love the fact that there's none of the people I hate from the cities...the gangs, the guys with attitude, the homophobes, the religious folk. It's just you, your beliefs, and your way of life- whatever they may be.
I love the ease of access to rivers for canoeing/ kayaking, having all the mountain biking you want on your doorstep, crags to climb nearby.

And more than anything... I love thinking of the people squashed into buildings in the cities for 5 days a week.
I love the fact that (when I'm not in Houston), I can look at all this beautiful countryside around me and know that THIS is my office!
biggrin ubbrollsmile biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
its kinda handy that my parents split up, cos i get both worlds regularly.
cambridge isnt a bustling city; theres lots of green around for a city. but i has born in london, lived in the french countryside for the first 3 years of my life, then the next 3 back in london. since then its been a town, or this small city. but when dad moved away, he moved into a derelict methodist chapel, which he built up, but was sadly incompleted. he also bought another chapel in the throws of dorset country. now he lives on the isle of wight with his fiancee and 3 horses, and is aspiring to move to the outer hebrides, or southern france, so ive always had a balance of country and city, altho not My choice... i love both, but there are pros and cons for both. being a teenager without a car, cities are handy, but you cant horse ride for miles here...
love everywhere!

in state of metamorphosis

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have lived in Cornwall (where theres more countryside than you can shake a stick at) for 23 years of my 25, and I can honestly say, I love it here, I can't imagine living in the city with nowhere to escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life!

Here, I can be at the seaside within a 5 minute walk and be on moorland within about a 15 minute drive!

biggrin biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I've lived in the country all my life, I like bits of it, like the stars and the air and the laziness but I love the bustle of the city and the difference
I think I love different environments and the difference in people's behaviour in differnet environments and situations... that stuffs always amazed me.... I love it biggrin

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hmm...well i lived on a farm 50kms from a small country town till i was 6, then we moved to the sunshine coast (regional centre i guess you'd call it...well, it was when we moved there, it's bigger now!), and then i lived there amongst the beaches, open spaces and only half an hour away was hinterland until 3 years ago when i moved to brisbane!! biggrin

i first moved to the northside...ah suburbia! then i moved to new farm - where i could see buildings in the city from every room on the roadside of the apartment. and now i live in auchenflower, leafy, quiet, nice - and only 2 train stations from the city! i love it!! ubblove

i can't imagine moving back to the coast! i love being so close to everything the city (& the valley with all it's awesome music venues!) has to offer, and knowing that if i do want to get away from the busy city it's only an hour drive to be out of it and on a beach somewhere!!

*sigh* peace

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I tend to like the small towns or small cities. Any bigger and you tend to run into so many people in a hurry to get to where they are going that they don't care to run you over. Plus more rude people live in big cities. I can't stand rude people.

My life is the agri cities and towns that when you pick up the paper you get to read about country events such as rodeos and high school sports...Especially football! ubblol

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
So true mistress auroa

country lifesytle is something else . A great place to live if you want to just chill out and can handel remotness.

Im luckly enough to be able experence both lifestyles

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
peace

I know i am a country person at heart, but i dont realise what privalages i have being near a city, such as mobile phone reception...........

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
There is plenty of mobile phone reception in the country, its just not where you are when you need it! tongue

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Ahh its fun looking like a wierdo wandering about a field randomly .............hello lo he heloo can you hallo mum?

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Yep, Ive lived in the city all my life up until the last year or so. I now live in the country surrounded by nature, nature and more nature. However I work in the city, but thats part of the bonus of making the most of both worlds. Being able to adapt to both or all environments rather than just one or the other, country living or city living both have advantages, for now I choose cruizy country living smile