EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
My fire troupe have been working on a few acro - balances etc like standing on each other and forming a human pyramid. We then get thrown a staff each (or doubles if you are on the top), and we twirl. I know there are LOADS of crazy circus balance things. Does anyone know some good ones to do with fire? : )

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Exodus Festival 2003 photo courtesy of Webgrrl (ozdoof.com)

Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
oooh : )
That looks like fun : )

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

6,978 posts

Posted:
yummy *they* look like fun biggrin

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Maybe I should try doing a similar one to that, but doing a handstand instead of standing on the back of the other. Then I could twirl with my feet : ) hehe fun.

6,978 posts

Posted:
hey you must be supah acrobatic!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
If you've ever seen FairyFire - they do lots of really crazy Acrobalance stuff - there's a few pics on their site at www.fairyfireworld.com (I think)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Thanks Durbs, I'll check it out : )
bender- If I was supa acrobatic then I'd be doing a handstand on someone's shoulders with someone else standing on my feet twirling, while we were all balanced carefully on a slack-rope ; ) *Eveish ponders this thought for a moment...* hmmmm tricky...

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah that's like it!
we need more acrotwirling insanity on these boards!
let's start an invasion, i have a broom.

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
*storms in on a unicycle wielding two flaming staves and wearing an insane circus grin*

6,978 posts

Posted:
lolz ya none shall be spared smile

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
*Eveish Leaps from her unicycle and in a flurry of arms, legs and fire, takes a flying leap at a nearby trapeze*
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

*Stops swinging for a moment....*

Hang on a minute! Are we the only two crazy acro-fire people in here?
*drops*

Ouch!

*Starts calling for all acrobats to come and join the party*
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I wish I had the flexibilty and strength for Acrobalance - it really is stunning frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i can't do a handstand yet...

but i am learning smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Ì like cartwheels and am working on a ways to do a forward somesault while continually spinning behind my back. I only do this when no one is looking though because 8 times out of ten i land on my ass.

what fun though, flying is freedom....

Love is the law.

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Yay!
do handstands and cartwheels! its all fun : )
Im glad that some more people are happy to play circus now
hug

For those of you who like cartwheels, it is a great way to pick up a staff if you drop it during a performance....just cartwheel over it and grab it on the way up, its really easy and looks quite cool. The other way is to hand-spring over it, (for those of you who can handspring)
wink

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
have you tried one-handed cartwheels while spinning, you can do it with poi or staff, though staff is easier and there are more variations. T&B is particularly good at them, watch out for the next Bristol spinners video, there are a number of flips and cartwheels on that... unfortunately no acrobalance yet, but we're working on it...ouch!

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
yep, one handed cartwheels and aerials are good fun too wink

6,978 posts

Posted:
a very technical recovery move i used to be able to do was to pick up a stick off the ground during an aeriel during the landing.

i believe the addition of a cartwheel into a routine is best done with a smooth transition into and out of to maintain the grace of the routine. too many people stop their set entirely to execute a technical movement - working through your set as a cohesive whole is the underpinning of fire danciing. that and having pants on wink

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Yay! You do aerials too?!
I haven't used them to pick up sticks before, but I can see how that would work.
the other way for picking up a staff, getting back to ballances etc is to give one of your fellow twirlies a nod, have them move over and stand in front of your dropped staff, then you handstand, picking the stick up as you go, but let the handstand go right over, so that your legs go over the shoulders of the other twirler. Then they hold onto your legs and lean forward. The result of this is that you end up sitting on their shoulders with a staff in hand. It's hard to explain, but has worked quite well in the past.

6,978 posts

Posted:
In acrotwirling, I believe that the safest way to handle sticks on the ground when you are upside-down is with an open palm. Too many times i've rested on my knuckles due to a closed grip and have skinned myself for the instant i was upside down. even with a fierce upward momentum of a run-up, there's enough downward pressure on your wrist to twist it accidentally.

A graceful way to pickup a staff upside down is to lean onto the dropped staff and perform an 'au batido' onto it as you rest onto it. it has the benefit of placing where you began instead of on the other side of it, which is useful for indoors performances.

It was during a double staff-pickup that i broke my right shin completely backwards(!) (it was with a fiercely swift roundoff frown ) so needless to say it can be quite dangerous!

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
eeek! thanks for the warning.. this acro-twirling can be dangerous, last month I landed awkwardly from a handspring front-sult and I can only just walk comfortably now. it sill gives me trouble if I dance for too long frown

....but its all worth it : )

*starts doing continuous handsprings around the room*
biggrin

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
*Note to self*....must keep an eye on this Acrotwirly thingybobby wink

I've been working on forward walkovers with the staff placed on top of my shoulders but being held in place by bending my neck back slightly. I was having real trouble with the staff falling...(till I realised the joy of bunches wink ohh how the secrets are given away soo freely biggrin)

Bammy
ubbrollsmile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know if there are any good web sites or anything for describing more acro-balances?? I want some new ones to try with my twin brother. We have been having fun learning two person dive rolls with sticks to use in fire-clowning : ) there must be more comic stuff we can do too... any ideas??

Eveish smile

6,978 posts

Posted:
if you haven't already, make sure you have a big ol' chat with concentrate Callan when youse over at nov earthcore about 2-4 people circusy acrobalances!

Bammeth, that's so killah that you can fwd walkover with a staff tucked under your neck! i'm too conditioned to level my eyes with the horizon, and that pretty much dictates my neck movements. Another beautiful aspect of this community is the free flow of magnificent ideas and possibly 'inspirational tea' wink

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Yep! I have met him before actually, he made one of my staffs. but I haven't spoken to him about acrobalances, will do.. thanks Bender.

6,978 posts

Posted:
lol - busy guy that! - #every# staff i have is by his smelly hand smile does that make us siblings in a hippy kinda way?!

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
lol! I think all us twirlies are siblings in a hippy kinda way wink