Page:
fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
My lords ,ladies and gentlemen,

I hear by call all fire performers to take note of this!!

After coming back from the falmouth meet sunday it has shown me how big the fire community realy is, i know a lot of people couldnt make it and probably loads more didnt know about it.
As some of you in falmouth may have heard, I have decided to take it upon myself to see if we can get some sort of annual poi event at alton towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was aiming to get something sorted for halloween and bonfire night as they have masses of people there!!!
I went to alton towers yesterday to check it out and they have got some real nice spots there.
I spoke to the main entertainment guy there today and he is very very intersted in the idea, so dont get me wrong this event is ONLY an idea and its going to take alot of organising and co-ordination, But with the expertise , knowledge and experience of some of you guys i'm sure we could make this event happen.
I have to go to a meeting at the towers with the entertainment people soon so i need some information to take with me, like who has public liability insurance or who can get it , policies start in september i have the details if you need them.
Also i want to take them a cd of some fire performances, i have access to cd editing equipment so if anyone has some good footage of themselves or friends that would be most grateful (fire or glo).
Obviousley we wont be the main the fireworks are alot brighter than what we are(ok strugz in falmouth maybe was on par) but the idea is to be dotted around the park in a barriered area in groups...

so ............hands up who wants to spin at alton towers? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dunc that is neither here or there, a huge company like towers, will still not sned its ppl on the best course, they will send ppl on teh cheepest course!

ill be taking my own safty gear like i always do, my fire blanket, and burns kit, just like i do to any burn, from pip to gig, it always goes with me, gets set out so anyone can use if there is a problem!

someone will need to talk to them about what ppl they are giving us, if its just safty, then this could mean two bouncer type ppl to stand and keep teh crowd back, and if that the case, then we need some fore marshals, but like cole said ones who knwo about our skills would be a lot better, os that they can see whats going on, and know the problems we face and see things before they go hugly worng...

but on teh epq front, if they are thinking fire eqtinguishers will do, they are wrong, we need to make sure we have a full medical kit for each group, priorty access, trained ppl.....

sorry these would have been my first concerns over and above teh amount off ppl we can get in!

but thats just me!

thanks for teh advice cole!

Step (el-nombrie)

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
wow bloody hell i have lot to answer to from the last time i read this post. i have lunch in a bit will answer all your quiries in a while. biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Right what a bloody nightmare of a day!!!!!
well you all know bits and bobs about what was said at the meeting from duncans post, basically with regards to health and safety they have to sort out that side of things otherwise their insurance policies are invalid without following these guidelines, the amount of work and effort that will have to be put in for us to able to spin is astounding with reports they have to fill out and risk assesments ond so on,its not just a case of us turning up spinning and going home again they have 30,000 people to consider!!!!!!!!!!
The towers already employ two fire spinners who do smaller events i haven't got a clue on their names or anything i have no details on them,they also employ jugglers and acrobats which will be there on the hallow'een weekend they are putting on a spooky mardi gras type thing so they may want us dressed up (and before you say it yes we have already spoken about fire risks to ourselves) but the first hurdle is actually seeing if they want us there at the price we have offered.
They have a specific team of health and safety officials that know the game inside out(as you may appreciate this is a proffesional operation even though its a fun theme park theres a lot of behind the scenes stuff)and basically it will be up to them in the end.
we went there and did wire wool and they were all eek!!!!!!
couldnt believe what they were seeing. so we started off on the right foot.
mech with regards to bringing your own safety equipment i doubt very much that will be possible, this will cause them more paper work and hassle.... plus i would much prefer them to supply those items thats just more cost on our part...uneeded!!!
This will be such a laugh if we get in but we all got to remember that alton towers is a proffesional organisation they have no room for error,every precaution must be taken.
if you need any more info or any more cooments email me
mtoozer@hotmail.com or pm me sorry for the lack of contact jus started a new job and lifes hectic..

happy spinning biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd post my 2p's worth...

I agree with all Mike said (see FireFlyz post above) and would prefer our own safety people or staggered performances. Anyway we'll update as we know more.

Tom (Another FireFly)

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Tom wave Nice to see you round these parts mate biggrin

I don't know if anyone saw the news yesterday but aparently the whole fireworks display thing is on tenderhooks thanks to the local residents complaining about noise levels. I mean come on, you live by Alton Towers you hear things goping on and they all get free tickets for the hallow'een/bonfire night shannanigans anyway, bloody righty moaning gits frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
its propper weird atm, we have know (the residents round here) for a while, they complain every year,

its not just down to teh fire works

alton, were alton towers sits is a smallquiet viallage, and they are unhappy (very) with thelevel of constant noise, in teh summer and the huge volume of traffic they get!

so its understandable form their point of view, but now i think they are in teh final sections of getting a court injunction on the park!

so its all very weird atm!

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i guess we could all sign the petition...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think they should appreciate what they have. If you move to London, it's noisey, if you move to the country side near a motorway, it's noisey, if you move to Alton, it's noisey.
I bet they'll soon moan when the millions of pounds Alton Towers pours into the local community through taxes, gifts, grants, projects and workforce wages dries up.

Arseholes is all I can say

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
pretty much!

the whole of alton each house get i think its like 20 tickets free to eth park!

plus other bonuses, but i can see what they mean, overteh fire works they always have been really large displays, but ist what you get!

im on towres side! althought i hate them cos lots of mt friends have workedthere andthe yare not a good company to work for most of the time!?

has mike gone out throught the exit with the huge SMILE sign abouve the door ubblol its supposed to make the stafffeel better and motivate them into working harder, it just always look really shite and sad to me!

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It wont let me sign.

cool

It said my name was obviously fake.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
WEll good news in that the fireworks are deffinately on.....for this year. The jobsworth "couple" who instigated the whole thing becuase their own selfish wants as apposed to 100,000 odd poeple who attend are obviously far more important, have lost their battle for this year. bounce bounce2 bounce So all we need now is to hear from Mike as to what's going on with da management......

weavesmiley

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
The Sentinal Online

this is the link to teh local paper called the sentinal, and it has teh full article on the ban.

OWWWWW its a good day! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
also i would point you out that it says the fire works will be done by 730ish, so we could in theory make it to sheff for an hour or so post towers?

Step (el-nombrie)

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Hey there people I had the phone call i was waiting for yesterday!!!!!

Or not as the case may be!!!! Alton towers regret to inform me that there will be no fire spinning there this year due to health and safety issues and lack of budget.

WHAT THE F*CK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can imagine i'm not a happy chappy........

After spending so much time and effort trying to arrange everything, doing a presentation, going there and presenting ourselves all of a sudden there is health and safety issues and lack of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Surely with an organisation like that h+s would be the first thing they would look at, and the amount of money they make in an hour would be enough to cover 500 performers for a week!!!! Just can't believe they have dragged it out for this long just to say no.Its fu*in bolloc*ks if you ask me, i just think they cant be assed to arrange it. so fu*k um.

There said my piece now ........

apologies to anyone who has turned down other events with the hope of going to the towers.

who ate all the poi's?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Shame mate - I know you put a lot into trying to organise this for everyone frown

Good learning experience I guess though...

Believe me - this isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last smile

hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
assholes frown

Thanks for all the efforts Mike, you're a star! hug

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cheers mike, one good things now though, is that there is a huge chunk of spinners who are insured for the rest of teh yr!

sorry to hear it didnt go to plan, but there will be other gigs!

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sphercular Ball / HoP Day 's just got a lot more participants too biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*twiddles thumbs*

Very well done though mate. Thanks for all the hard work you put in.

hug

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
yeah shame it never came off but yeah it was a good learning experience.......wait for it........

I GOT SOMETHING ELSE UP MY SLEEVE and it aint a contact ball.........................

fireflyz official launch party its going to be before xmas on a saturday, there will be enough room for over 1000 people to camp and it will be open to the public too. scottish tribal band already to go called saor patrol and dancers and check this shopmobility scooter races with water pistols!!!! phat or what
sponsorship from orange and local companys....

watch this space........... go fu*k yourselves alton towers...... ubblol

who ate all the poi's?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
good effort mate.

don't forget, its not all in vain - you and a lot of others learnt a lot about the issues involved in arranging a gig of this nature and this thread highlights a lot of the important issues to look out for when working with big companies like the tussauds group.

keep us informed - the water pistol race sounds good (if a little cold in nov/dec!).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
What a shame after all that excitement and expectation and effort you put in Mike, it was a good try, and well done. Oh well, these things happen. I WAS gonna say "maybe next year" but I fear if ANYONE connected with Alton Towers EVER reads this thread fire spinners will never spin there ever. So much name calling towards them even before they said no but particularly after, that I fear we may have burned our bridges. I was you, I'd plead with the admin team to delete this thread and start another one with less hostility! Did anyone ask if there was a better chance of us spinning next year by the way?

It's smashing to be back x

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
To be honest dude i hope they do read it then they will see how much anger and fustration they have caused me,i spent all my spare time for the last couple of months chipping away at making this thing work for everyone else, and a proffesional organization like the towers can't even do the fundamentals of sorting out their h+s safety policies!!

Bolloc*s to them

who ate all the poi's?

RyokoGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
My troop needs insurance...if you can help e-mail me IR2U@aol.com thanks

~Tiffany
IR2U(at)aol(dot)com

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
we went to to County Mutual, one persons public liability for fire performance is £140 per annum 01952 641321 although that's if you're in the UK.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
ok thats freaking it!!!! i am moving to the U.K!!!!

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol Is it a little more pricey in the US Native?

creaturesfarleySILVER Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
That is so bad!! i feel so sorry 4 all u guys! they shudda payed u anyway 4 organising it and cancelling plans etc.!!!! It woz such a gr8 idea! i think they r amazingly stoopid 4 turning u down. they dont need 2 worry about h+s! u all got public liability insurance!!! talking of which u all spent money buying that so they shud at least refund u 4 that cos u spent money on it and now u dnt need it! I think u shud try agen nxt yr tho! its is such a gd idea! itd b gr8. they r fools 4 truning u down! fire spinnier wud have added that xtra bit of class 2 their closing fireworks. they r aboviously 2 stoopid 2 see that!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hello Creaturesfarley..

Could you replace all those really annoying text abbreviations with lovely english words?

SOd it.

Im bored.

I'll do it.

That is so bad! I feel so sorry for all your guys! they should have payed your anyway for organising it and cancelling plans etc!!!! It was such a great idea! I think they are amazingly stupid for turning you down. They dont need to worry about health and safety! You all got public liability insurance!!! Talking of which you all spent money buying that so they should at least refund you for that because you spent money on it and now you dont need it! I think you should try again next year though! Its such a good idea! it would be great. They are fools for turning you down! Fire spinners would have added that extra bit of class to their closing fireworks. They are obviously to stupid to see that!!!

rolleyes

and If we break it up a little, it makes slightly more sence:

That is so bad (,) I feel so sorry for all your guys!.

They should have payed your anyway for organising it and cancelling plans etc!!!

It was such a great idea (,) I think they are amazingly stupid for turning you down.

They dont need to worry about health and safety! You all got public liability insurance!!! Talking of which(,) you all spent money buying that(,) so they should at least refund you for that because you spent money on it and now you dont need it!

I think you should try again next year though! Its such a good idea! it would be great.

They are fools for turning you down!

Fire spinners would have added that extra bit of class to their closing fireworks. They are obviously to stupid to see that!!!

I could add some smilies but im just being pedantic really...

wink

Page: