Page:
fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
My lords ,ladies and gentlemen,

I hear by call all fire performers to take note of this!!

After coming back from the falmouth meet sunday it has shown me how big the fire community realy is, i know a lot of people couldnt make it and probably loads more didnt know about it.
As some of you in falmouth may have heard, I have decided to take it upon myself to see if we can get some sort of annual poi event at alton towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was aiming to get something sorted for halloween and bonfire night as they have masses of people there!!!
I went to alton towers yesterday to check it out and they have got some real nice spots there.
I spoke to the main entertainment guy there today and he is very very intersted in the idea, so dont get me wrong this event is ONLY an idea and its going to take alot of organising and co-ordination, But with the expertise , knowledge and experience of some of you guys i'm sure we could make this event happen.
I have to go to a meeting at the towers with the entertainment people soon so i need some information to take with me, like who has public liability insurance or who can get it , policies start in september i have the details if you need them.
Also i want to take them a cd of some fire performances, i have access to cd editing equipment so if anyone has some good footage of themselves or friends that would be most grateful (fire or glo).
Obviousley we wont be the main the fireworks are alot brighter than what we are(ok strugz in falmouth maybe was on par) but the idea is to be dotted around the park in a barriered area in groups...

so ............hands up who wants to spin at alton towers? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: robnunchucks

fire staff vs fire nunchucks

biggrin

Ill fight ya wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

*ahem*

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
yeah im up 4 a fight if ya wanna pop round rob!!! but not with those crazy wool chucks tho!! ya crazy fool!!

spank

he he the new age firefighters ubbloco

who ate all the poi's?

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
sweet well i've done quite alot of sparing with nunchucks and staff and if you do a set routeen you can make it look like you've got jedi like reactions biggrin nunchuck vs staff is always spectaular but tricky and with fire it will be dam tricky hopefully we will get a chance to meet up before and sort some stuff out it'll look good though maby we can all go to alton towers a few days before then we've got time to practise

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
man this is gonna be cool biggrin

Do you reckon that the insurers would do an event policy so those of us without it could get it just for this show without having to fork out loads each for a policy unlikely to come as much usefor the rest of the year? Still charge the same of course tho just to be sure our pockets aren't taking a hit wink

I wonder what Alton would do if they read this thread?? eek

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yo man, I just heard today. You can get employers insurance on top of PLI, so that anybody you employ is also insured for fire...Parently it's about 200 squid on top of whatever you pay for PLI, but it's less than paying for a wholeload of people... But only one person / group gets the real benefit, but perhaps everybody else gets more money... (mo' problems.)

Fire nunchucks are incredibly dangerous aren't they? But I'm willing to give them a shot. I thought of juggling with nunchucks before, but only with glowstick nunchucks... so I could be cool like all the raver kids... smile

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
you'll never be as cool as the raver kids tongue

So does this mean we could have 200 extra quid spent and then split the cost evenly between us? ie 10 performers would be £20 extra each?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yes. I think is the gist of my answer. One of the fire 'troupes' I know up here are considering doing it, and that's how I found out...

Er: and pick me pick me pick me! biggrin wink

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
they are very tricky to juggle cos the ends of the handles your catching are on fire so you have to catch them in the right place also because theres not rigit you have to keep the other end under control when you catch it because the other end swings but it would look very cool if you could do it

DizMr Dizzy....
154 posts

Posted:
oooh fire at Alton Towers would be good, count me in if there's space. I worked there doing a stilts gig for their Halloween Spooktacular last year. It was great fun biggrin especailly with the fire works display they put on and you get to go on all the rides( eek) when your not working.

Diz.

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
A Fortune Cookie

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I was thinking more of doing 'flats' with the handles together... But spinning would work too, just be a ot harder....

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
wow...
id like to come and cheer too redface i make a mean cheese sandwich, and i can forge autographs for any weary hands
biggrin ubbangel

in state of metamorphosis

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
isn't alton towers near nottingham? and if it is i'm gonna go completely off topic and ask why neither mech nor fireflyz have been to a notts spin yet.... umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
actualy thats a much better idea that way you could use them like clubs and do more complicated moves we'll have to work up a ruteen befor alton towers smile

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Hello all,
Just to say hello I've managed to log on again.

Robnunchuks - would be wicked to see you and we must practise a fight routine, I'm only half hour walk from Mikes (I'm Tom the other male FireFly!)

Mike - see you Tuesday?

(Here we go can I finally log onto HOP again!........)

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
YESSS I can Log on...!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yey you're back online! bounce

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
WOOOOOOOOO
HOOOOOOOOO

we have lift off!!!! got the magic phone call today! and the ball has been set rolling.........................
alton towers are very interested in having fire performers there for halloween and bonfire weekends!!!!!!!!! yyiiippeeeee
right im getting a phone call tommorow when this guy gets back in his office and we are going to arrange a timefor me to go there and have a meeting with their commitee, i mentioned payment to him and he said they havent been allocated a budget yet so now is a good time to put our price on things so they can incorporate it to their final figure. They are very interseted in having us there every year if it is a success, i told him it would be a benefit for our community aswell as theres, so keep those weekends free for a moment this could be the big one, you won't want to miss it.SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now i realy need to start organizng things, you guys may need to sort your own insurances out by the 2nd of september and then hopefully get re-inbursed when we do the event (maybe able to blag a bit for your back pocket too!!!!)so if ya wanna come!!!!
add your name to the list!!!!!! juggle biggrin biggrin juggle

who ate all the poi's?

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Mike , tom , beth----- fireflyz biggrin----insured

who ate all the poi's?

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireflyz

Mike , tom , beth----- fireflyz biggrin----insured
Rossco - not insured but will be by 02/09/04 biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
BamBam, Diz, Hels Bells insured biggrin

Ohh this sounds like fun biggrin

Me
ubbrollsmile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Mike , tom , beth----- fireflyz ----insured
Rossco - not insured but will be by 02/09/04
BamBam, Diz, Hels Bells----- insured

who ate all the poi's?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Where wonders never cease

Mike, Tom, Beth----- fireflyz ----insured
Bug - not insured.....yet!

So how much we gonna be earning from this Mikey boy? If you need a hand with the costings and general prices that are charged in the industry Bam Bam will no doubt be able to offer her wealth of experience, and and I can cost out like a demon anyway (damn this college training wink) but without the experience of the industry.

[gratuitoussuckup]
We love you Mike, you're a star! hug
[/gratuitoussuckup]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I just been to the alton Towers website for some info I thought everyone would like, the fireworks are on the following nights:

Sat 23rd
Sun 24th

Fri 29th
Sat 30th
and I imagine the Grande Finale
Sun 31st October 2004

Will we be working and thus getting paid for each night or are they going to expect the price to cover one night/all nights?

The lasers sound (erm...look!) really cool so glow will deffinately be a good option as well. If we can get those new glowy poi they have on PiP it'd be wicked!!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I'll be insured next year... Can I come?

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

hug

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
sorting on insurance renewall now, will be sorted!

me and strugz that is!! smile

passing through, this world still lives.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
im definatly in but i need to know who i need to ring to get insurance could you post up the number and any details i'll need? if you post that up then....

Rob - insured smile

also ask them what they want in the way of performances do they want just fire or would they be intrested in glow and wire wool as well also do we know what they want us to do are we doing a show or are we just going to be doted around the park doing our own thing ahh so many questions ether way mike your a star for organiseing this it should be [censored] sweet

also i was thinking about the combat ruten thing and i had an idea instead of doing proper contact sparing which might look quite jerky we might be better doing capiwara stlye sparing very elaborate and showie but baised on actual fighting but it has the advantage that you dont actualy touch each other that would let us maintain the spin of the staffs it would fit alot better as it looks more like two people putting on a show rather than two people trying to kick the [censored] out of each other with flameing weaponry smile only problem is i can't do it with nunchucks as the timeing between the two is to diffrent but it could probibly be done with fire staff i've not tryed it but i recon it can be done is anyone fairly flexable cart wheels (perferably one handed) handstands that sort of thing and are handy with a staff and more importantly up for picking up afew bruses and sprained muscels giveing it a try?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Mike , tom , beth----- fireflyz ----insured
Custom_Bug---------ditto
Strugz, Frodo---------insured by then biggrin
Robnunchucks-------ditto

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep - All of Burnt Toast - Insured smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'm most interested if PLI cost is covered smile. Kinda skint/unemployed otherwise frown

I've footage online if wanted

Page: