Page:
fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
My lords ,ladies and gentlemen,

I hear by call all fire performers to take note of this!!

After coming back from the falmouth meet sunday it has shown me how big the fire community realy is, i know a lot of people couldnt make it and probably loads more didnt know about it.
As some of you in falmouth may have heard, I have decided to take it upon myself to see if we can get some sort of annual poi event at alton towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was aiming to get something sorted for halloween and bonfire night as they have masses of people there!!!
I went to alton towers yesterday to check it out and they have got some real nice spots there.
I spoke to the main entertainment guy there today and he is very very intersted in the idea, so dont get me wrong this event is ONLY an idea and its going to take alot of organising and co-ordination, But with the expertise , knowledge and experience of some of you guys i'm sure we could make this event happen.
I have to go to a meeting at the towers with the entertainment people soon so i need some information to take with me, like who has public liability insurance or who can get it , policies start in september i have the details if you need them.
Also i want to take them a cd of some fire performances, i have access to cd editing equipment so if anyone has some good footage of themselves or friends that would be most grateful (fire or glo).
Obviousley we wont be the main the fireworks are alot brighter than what we are(ok strugz in falmouth maybe was on par) but the idea is to be dotted around the park in a barriered area in groups...

so ............hands up who wants to spin at alton towers? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
wave

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
You already know I'm with ya dude, whatever details you need from me let me know and if there's anything I need to complete can you send me the info please.

Cheers! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
yup as soon as i know anything i.e camping/hotel, guest house arrangements you guys will know.

expecting a phone call 2morow or thursday.

but i will definatley have more info by the weekend.

watch this space...............

mike...

who ate all the poi's?

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
you know im in to should be [censored] sweet oh and i've got a video you could have its only about 22 seconds long but if your editing it in with other videos it should be enough i'll send it you when your next on msn

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
i'm there too as you already know mike. Just let me know what i need to do and by when and that sort of stuff and i'll do it. biggrin

Best of luck in the meeting tomorrow dude, and remember what i told you about trying to blag it so we dont have to queue for any rides! wink biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

Definately like the idea - provided I can get time offf work and get there.

With several kilos of wire wool I am sure we can outdo the fireworks!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
wow, this is a big deal, towers (i live like 15mins drive away in meir) normaly highers in all its acts, so i am impressed that you have made themlisten!

well done!

as for public liability, i dont think towers will cover everyone, i think they buy it to cover ppl in teh park and on teh rides, but i dont knwo about the performers, i can ask some ppl who i know have worked as performers at towers if you like?

maybe they could shed some light on it?

well done man, and yes i prob would be up for this...hmm interesting possbilities, to show the performenrs they have there atm what real poi and stick looks like! biggrin

how about taking them the first falmouth vid? most of us are in that?

or sample a few of th ebest vids on hop, and take those?

Step (el-nombrie)

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i will come as u to well know, also me and strugz shall already have liability insurance sorted!

smile cant wait, shot gun mechs sofa!!

passing through, this world still lives.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
lol, so long as you aint in my ed mate, you are welcome to stay, i should have some space for a house in vasion if you want!

Step (el-nombrie)

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I know i dont have the ability or confidence to be able to spin with you guys, but i'll be there for support!!! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a great idea ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Count me in Mr Fireflyz biggrin

Can i take my staffs on the nemisis devil

On a serious note - insurance - no problem tiz done biggrin

If you want vids doing for a cd then we should meet up one weekend for a "putting together"

Be in touch - but sweeeeeeeet idea Mike, nice 1 biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
im there man!
wave

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Well i was kinda thinkin instead of getting paid for this event we could all get free entry to the park and we will get them to cover our transport there(maybe organise a few coaches from various locations round the uk) and cover campsite costs aswell(apparently there are campsites pretty close by) this way it would look more attractive to them rather than forking out thousands on top of the thousands they have already spent on doing the fireworks!!!
Everyone who wants to do it will need their own p.l insurance it costs 105 quid and starts on the 2nd of sept and lasts for a year. i will need photocopies of your insurances a few weeks before the event so get saving if you don't have one....this is one event you will not want to miss(if i manage to pull it off of course)...

happy spinning...... biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er if that's with Country Mutual - it's gone up to £140... If not who's that with? I'm gonna have to switch insurers smile

Personally I think it'd be risky (and some would say un-ethical) doing it on expenses only. From their point of view, in then stops becoming some performers coming in to do a show, it becomes a bunch of guys looking for free entry into the park. Don't worry about the prices - they're making ££millions of profit.

It also sets a precedent - say they like what they see - they're going to expect to have the same again i.e. expeneses only. If you then turn round and say "we want paying" they'll naff off and get some others who will do it for free. Or they'll go to some "real" pro's and not pay them their dues.

This is only from the point of view that you're looking at setting up your own performance group - if it is being just done as a jolly, it still has repurcussions.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Also - if it was expenses - would that include the £105 / £140 some peoplel would shell out for insurance? If not, we'd still be making a loss even for free entry... If so, then it makes it slightly unfair to those that have to get insurance as they'd only get expenses, but to those already with insurance it becomes profit.
And if expenses did cover insurance, then they can blatantly afford more and so should be charged the "going rate"

Just my er... 4 cents wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
I agree with Durbs on this one me finx..................

Tussaudes is absolutley loaded with £££££££, i appreciate they will more than likley offer you the chance to spin there based on an expenses thing only - however you shouldnt shoot yourself in the foot - go in high (ie £100 per person) not inc. expenses.

If they go for it - great (wish that you asked for summit higher wink) if not then drop to 75 or summit - the best advice i can give is think like a Trotter wink

One day we'll be millonaires ubblol

Insurance - well if you want to perform at places like this then it is mandatory - so that i feel falls on the spinner - that little bit of paper can get you into many places biggrin

Anyhow Mike - its your call, but i think with a big establishemnt like that they can afford a few squid so dont undersell yourself.

Either way id do it mind - for free entry and the chance to spin whilst those fireworks are banging - ive felt that feeeeling before and its soooo nice biggrin

Keep us posted ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Phew, thought it was just going to be me smile

£100 per person isn't high though (Well, depends on what we're doing and how long for) - Perhaps £100 plus expenses for the show (30 mins in total? Any more would get dull if nothing's choreographed)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a wicked idea - am definately up for it.

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Point taken guys with gratitude!!!!

like i say this idea was only something to toy about with at the beginning but having spoke to them they seem pretty keen, so any advice is good as this is my first major orginsing event(thought i'd start off with a bang) excuse the pun. As for them paying for insurance i like that idea cos we need to get ours sorted aswell(checks pocket for loose change after falmouth) and we are pretty skint.

I was thinking of having maybe 6 or 7 mini arenas around the grounds then after a few burns swop location so you get a rest in between.

the insurance is with a company called dixon-chalmers i spoke to them recently and its still 105 (not sure if their a part of country mutual or not)

Like i say i am expecting a phone call in the next few days from this guy to arrange a meeting so any more tips would be good.

When i spoke to him yesterday he said the only factor he can see a problem is health and safety (cos of the vast amount of people on those nights) but im sure they can supply barriers and stuff i have all the regulations so it shouldnt be a problem.

not to sure bout staff on nemesis strugz i was thinking more wire wool on the black hole!!!!! mmmmmmmmm wire wool comlete darkness mmmmmmm... he he.

this guy will need a few beers me thinks before agreeeing to that one me thinks!!!!! he he he.

any way i just thought this could be a great event for all spinners from all over the country to get together for a few weekends in a row once a year and have an experience they would never forget ..... masses of loud fireworks ,30,000 plus people and us doing what we enjoy the most .... performing our little hearts out.

<..slithers away into the depths of the spare room to work on the masterplan....>

who ate all the poi's?

ahi-caBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
ill be there if i can get there with the nunchucks

i will call him sqishy and he will be my sqishy

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
sweet that will be 2 people with nunchucks !!!!! marvelous
if you see this strange boy appear before you run very fast in the other direction hes is armed and very dangerous..... he appears from nowhere and takes no prisoners!!!!!
https://www.soton-firespinning.co.uk/modu...=view_photo.php

nice one rob... you mad bast@rd biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
I spoke to Dixon Chalmers today about my PLI and they said it would be £140 (sept-sept)

Are we talking about the same Dixon Chalmers?

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
ggrrrrrrrr it must have gone up within the last week or two then cos it wasnt that long ago since i spoke to them!!!

boo hoo.... confused

who ate all the poi's?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Dixon Chalmers are now Country Mutual, they changed name about 2 years ago I thought...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yeah well i still think of them as Dixon Chalmers. I remember when PLI was only £75 eek

How much has it gone up in 2 years.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
looks guys i got an idea, why dont we just do i and stick some top hats in front of su and make ppl throw change in there, im sure it'll eventualyl cover the PLI cos naturally we r so damn good of course! righto?? ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
also, we would have to come up with some kind of show, or co-ordinated routine we would not be able to turn up and then simply spin, it would not look right i dont think!

Step (el-nombrie)

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
i agree about not going for just expenses its negotiation if you start high and let them work you down abit we'll get a much better deal at the very worst you can always drop down to your origanal offer definatly bring up the thing about public liability insurance we could ask for say expenses and a fee equivelent to the cost of the public liablity insurance that way all of us who dont have it get free PLI for a year and those that do get a wad of cash i think thats a fair thing to ask for they can definatly afford oh and show them some of wire wool pictures wire wool can compeat with fire works and is more impresive cos theres someone in the middle given the amount there paying for fireworks £140 for someone doing wire wool + the fire all nite is a good deal

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
oh and about co-ordinating a show would anyone be up for makeing a combat routeen with me fire staff vs fire nunchucks would make for a pritty spectaular show plus i know a some martial arts stuff that should be easy to encorperate oh and i have a great idea for another show i could do but i would need someone good a juggling and they would have to be able to do it with nunchucks

Page: