Page:
DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Hello Everyone,

Bit of a serious 1 I'm afraid. I've recieved a message from from the board detailing complaints that have been made regarding my posts, or more specifically, the language I use.
Apparently I've offended some of my fellow HOPers,
and for this I offer my sincerest appologies.
Any offence caused, was done so innoccently I asure you.

Anyone who knows me will testify that I'm a little insane. About 50percent of the language I use is slang. It is to my understanding that a few of the non-English members are irritated by by the use of slang in my posts. While I simpathize, I think it's completely unfair that I'm being asked to change who I am, simply because there are 1 or 2 of you that have difficulty understanding me. I'd like to point out that I often have difficulty understaning others, but I have no problem with accepting this as I feel it adds to diversity of the group.
I understand perfectly how derogatory terms such as 'Niggaz', are completely unessesary, and will refrain from using them in future, however my use of such terms are in no way any less innocent than the rest of my 'slang'.
For EVERYONE I've offended,
Non-Https Image Link

SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY!!

But please don't make me change. HomeOfPoi is so special to me. I've made so many wonderful friends here, and it's one of the few places I feel I can be myself and feel totally comfortable.

Please let me hear your feelings...

Avery deflated DFQ xxx

Az abouve, So below...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Can't beleive I did not see that one yesterday ...

All right, super queen , I just want to gie you a hug first

:hughughughughughug::

As one of the few non-english speaking members of HOP I admit that the first time I saw your posts I went :

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

and so i told you "what do you mean by this and that" and you explained to me and I thank you I appreaciate that cause you showed respect to us foreigners.

You are wonderful and your posts usually put a great smile on my face and I am so happy you joined HOP

I don't think you should give up who you are because who you are is what we love you for But I also don't think our mods asked you to do so. I don't have access to the overview that they have over the entire website's posts + feedbacks and all, so i trust they have a point and am sure they don't intend to change you completely

much love, tons of smiles and sunshine to you
shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
( As i get down on both knees behind DQF, and worship the ground she walks on )

"i got me an idea"

can we, at HOP, start a new thread, and use it as a sort of Dictionary, if we all list the "slang" words that we use and there meanings surly this would correct this injustice???

Just a thought, I don't have many you see, so i have to tell the world when i do!!!!

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by rockstarashi:
i think the real question is, is dfq breaking any rules?
Feel free to read the full list of Discussion Group Guidlines at: https://www.homeofpoi.com/newvisitor.htm

The fifth (5th) guideline:
Keep posts simple and easy to read. Try not to use simplified English ( eg Nice 2 C U). Do not use all caps ( eg MY SUBJECT IS …). Smilies are nice but try not to overuse them.

Her posts fall under the simplified English category.

[ 18 June 2002, 01:09: Message edited by: Pele'sWhippingBoy ]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Newbornmember
55 posts

Posted:
Dear DarkFairyQueen - i don;t think you should stop using your slang!
now i'm gunna have a rant for a change hehe!
It really pisses me off, u see alot of us who don't have much time or have a life don't spend hours making sure we have used "Proper" english in our messages.
Yes alot of the www community uses slang and abbreviations like lol/wtf/roflol becoz it is faster to type and since alot of ppl including myself type how i think its alot easier.
Now when someone comes along and says right Newborn u made 15 spelling mistakes, 7 grammer mistakes, 18 punctuation errors and you used 5 nouns which were supposed to be verbs, your use of adjectives is that of a five yr old, that soliloquy you used was supposed to be an onomatopoeia etc etc.
I don't give a monkeys this is a message board not a goddamned English lesson. As long as most ppl get the jist of what u r saying i don't see why i should spend ages trying to make my "short" message pass a degree in English language!
And those ppl who try to act so superior and elite and better than the vast amount of 15yr old kids who populate the internet should just get a life!

[ 18 June 2002, 08:39: Message edited by: Newborn ]

Beamers Hurt but double Beamers r u insane???Well actually...yes i am!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
FACT: This site gets translations done over 200 times a day.
Oh jeebus what would these visitors think about faeries?!? Unamatrix 0 is a suburb of melbourne! They probably would think that Nutella is evil. We on the other hand know that Nutella is evil.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thank you Josh, Malcolm and PWB...I appreciate the fact presentations and support greatly.

Now to the part where I sound like a mother or a teacher....

We all agreed to the rules when we signed on, including DFQ. Malcolm established these rules with the greater community in mind. There have been several of us abiding by them for years to keep this place smoothe and sweet, even the mods have to follow the rules, maybe moreso than most, and believe me people, there have been times when we have bit our perverbial tongues because we are mods and represent HoP. So then, do we bend one rule for one person and then have to bend them all for everyone? *No*

DFQ: if I were to change my haircut then am I the same person on the inside? If one day I were to wear clothes contrary to everything I have ever worn in the past, does that change me? No. Not at all. It is presentation, not content. We are asking you to make your presentation clearer for many reasons. This does not change who you are, it merely makes you more accessible to others, then more can know how wonderful you truly are.
Your wittiness, thoughtfulness and insights are more than welcome here. It wouldn't be the same without you, but we are maintaining the request for a more simplified linguisitc presentation so that more people can enjoy your specific brand of insanity.

Arashi: you said that this thread represents the majority of the board. There are over 2000 people on this board, and a handful does not represent a majority. And even still is is right for a few of you to be allowed to not follow the rules while everyone else must? Not at all. We are all equal here. We all must follow the rules to keep the board as welcoming and peaceful as it is. It has worked thusfar, so why change it now? For the sake of evolution? This board has evolved, but in the world of respect, I believe this is one of the most respectful boards on the net, and I think that our adhering to the rules is one of the reasons why.
I also must laugh at the insinuation that we are power tripping people who are taking personal offense to this. What would bring you to such an outlandish accusation, other than the fact that you may still have personal issues with me? Trust me, if we were power tripping, there is much on this board that would be changed and turned around. Malcolm has trusted us Mods to act in the best interest of the community to make it as accessible to all as we can. Asking someone to follow the rules s/he *AGREED TO INITIALLY* is not an outlandish nor unacceptable request. For one of us or all of us to act upon received complaints is also not unacceptable. If it were, there would be no point to having us kicking about and Malcolm would have a greater work load.

Everyone's voice is here important, but more than that, understanding everyone's voice is even more important. What's it worth saying if no one understands?
DFQ, we hope you decide to stay with us.

[ 18 June 2002, 14:21: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
perhaps this should be a new poll?
Should DFQ's posts be "normalized"?
if her posts get prohibited, can she at least have a DFQ SHRINE thread where we can gaze for hours on end at her rantings?

-anonymous DFQ fan

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey, I am with Pele, Malcom, Charles, Josh on this….

I think DFQ has some great comments, and wonderful insight to stuff. You are a cool person and I think you are wonderful the way you are. But I also think you are still able to get across your own personality without using stuff like this: I wuv u, and l8r and all those other really annoying short terms people use because the can’t be bothered to type out the word in full. DFQ, I think the next time you want to post in slang, think about the people who wont be able to read what you have to say… all those poor poor soles missing out on what you have to say, becoz U R uzing short cut type words & frazes with simbles, which frazzle ppls brains and causes confusion and phrustration.

And yep if U R using stuff like shorting words into abbreviations then you are breaking the rules on HOP. Sorry it’s there in plain english And I think it’s good that this board is moderated, imagine what would happen if it wasn’t *shakes head*…Slag is cool but it’s only cool if people know what you are talking about. I think by using shortened terms and U instead of you (eg..and other stuff like that) then you are running the risk of making fellow HOPers cross-eyed, and totally missing your point. Or worse never reading your posts because they think they are crap, because they can’t understand a fucking thing out of them. And hate trying to decipher what the hell you are trying to say girlfriend..

DFQ we aren’t asking you to give up your personality we are asking you to write it out in long hand so everyone one on HOP can enjoy it, not just those who can decode your encryption.

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Not to doubt what you (Pele, Malcolm, Charles ect.) are saying, but this is a discussion forum. Nothing here has much to do with the technical aspects of poi, staff or anything else. Would those 200 translations really be in this section?

If nothing, this is where its expected to get messy, just because we're not trying to make a reference manual or anything like that. Its not like DFQ is writing technical instuctions on how to do a poi move she thought up. She's just talking bollox (mostly).. Right?

Is it possible that she should just be asked politely and not forced under threat of expulsion?

Just a thought...

Oh, yeah, the N word is a HUGE taboo, especially in america, I could totally understand that getting complaints.

But... My Dark (F) Queen!
*bows profusely*
My DARLING!! ANGEL!! You're WONDERFUL both on and off the message board. Please don't change!

MWAH MWAH MWAH MWAH MWAH!!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
She was ***never*** forced under threat of expulsion. We don't handle things like that here until it gets pushed too far, which takes alot of time and disrespect. DFQ **was** asked very politely, and she responded very respectfully and politely.
The idea that any of us would do things any other way seems preposterous to me. *shrug*

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I misinterpreted the tone of the conversation. I thought the request was in some way official and that she was in fear of having her membership revoked.. but perhaps that was her own fear.

4,224 posts

Posted:
It's all good then ???
but ...
where is our queen now ???

DFQ, come play with us

shine on
Cass

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
In Crete for a week apparently - Jammy bitch.
I can't beleive this thread is still going....
If I'd been asked nicely to stop doing something, on someone elses chat board/property, I would have made/posted exactly the same apology, just to show respect to those that deserve it.
(Personally I would have been a bit shaken that it had gotten that far.)
This isn't a debate about freedom of speech, or about what's wrong with the world today, it's just DFQ saying she is sorry, and it wont happen again. Massive respect to the girl for trying to smooth the situation over, but we've kept this fucking thread alive for ages now, and it's getting to the point where it's being taken too far. The moderators have a point, and we have to respect that. If you're at a party and the host asks you to turn the music down so as not to upset his neighbours, you don't jump up and scream about your right to listen to loud music.
If the host had told me to turn it down, and EVERYONE ELSE had jumped up and screamed about MY right to listen to loud music, I would have died of embarrassment. If this was my apology (and I'll offend people enough sooner or later to warrant one, I'm sure), I'd be glad for anyone who gave support, and tell everyone else to let the fucking thread die and fade into obscurity.
At the end of the day, as much as we like to talk bollox, and get our own personalities across etc... if we are excluding other people from this site by doing ANYTHING, then we all lose something. We all lose the inputs and personalities that decide NOT to join the site.
Dont'ya think?
In fact don't answer that...............

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Do't worry DFQ, i think I get your angle, you din't offend me.

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey ..; ho ... helloooooooo...
I want my Dark Fairy Queen back !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 27 June 2002, 01:35: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Cass, she's in Crete working on her tan until Tuesday, after which Queenie will be back to torment us

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Well, its now wednesday and I dont see her anywhere! Where did she go?!

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!
we need gothic cryptic terror!!!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wait a minute, i never knew a goth with a tan...
won't she like, self destruct or something?
oh, no! maybe she didn't know! we've lost her!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Dont say that Arashi!!! I'm going to have nightmares all night, now. You know, its your job to get her back since you said that.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
I know you're all gonna hate me for bringing this thread up again and I appologise in advance.

But after spending three weeks in the abyss, I'm amazed at how much comotion I have caused. Little me..(I am VERY little). Had I known this thread would go off on such a mad one I never would have started it.
I admit, I am guilty of breaking the rules. Pele, Malcom etc, I'm sorry. Truely.
I'd like to make something clear though. Never at any point was I afraid you were asking me to 'change myself'. That would've been pathetic. All I did was fight my corner, y'know, try and make my motives understood.
Although I think that this is a basic human right, It apears that in doing so I've committed an even worse offence. I am guilty of turning my friends on each other.
You guys shouldn't be arguing over this. Reading through whats happened on this thread while I was away really saddens me. I feel like I've caused unnecessary conflict.

I'd like you all to know that I respect and appreciate your input, whichever side of the argument you're on. But it's gotten out of hand.
I hope we can put this away forever now, Which is why I ask you not to reply.
Understand I couldn't let this issue die without saying sorry to all.

Consider me 'in check'
Love, hugs, and big fairy smiles to all you hoppin HOPpers!

DFQ xxx

Az abouve, So below...

Page: