Page:
Zavienewbie
24 posts

Posted:
hi all!
I have this one big problem, I just started Poi a week ago, and following the Free Poi Lessons of the site. So far I can get everything except for the Weave. I really cannot get this move. I can do it with one Poi, with each hand, but then I don't how to start the move and how to coordinate both my arms... ubbloco
If anyone one could help me with that, I would be really grateful.
It's really not easy trying to learn Poi by oneself sometimes....
I tried to use sticks in order to figure the movement of each Poi, but it didn't work either, ubbidea I just can't figure this move out, and it makes me mad because it seems to be a basic move....
Thank you all.
Zavie. ubbrollsmile

DEATH WILL ALWAYS BE A CELEBRATION OF CONFORMITY.
-Neil Gevisser-

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zavie

It's really not easy trying to learn Poi by oneself sometimes....

I totally agree!

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but when I was learning the weave I had the same prob.
What I did, was get a piece of paper and using a different colour dot (ooh, special) for each poi, I drew which side each poi should be on each "beat".
Then whilst reading through my dotty instructions I followed it with my hands until I'd got my head around the rhythm.
When I picked up the poi next I did the 3 beat weave straight away. biggrin

Then again, I find learning things pretty hard, so this might be more effort than it's worth for you.

x

smells like burning teenagers..

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
It took me almost five months to get the hang of the weave, so don't beat yourself up over it.
What I found helped- a lady at my pagan gathering gave a poi workshop, and she taught the weave. The anology she made was that of a belly dancer's veil- the way they spin it around, their hands making a figure 8 motion of sorts. The belly dancers in the group started to pick up on it right away, and I got the hang of it soon after. Seriously.
There's alot of pointers out there for learning the weave, just try searching the forum for them. One of the methods mentioned should work for you.
Good luck!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
try holding a staff, or other long, thin stick in both hands, in front of you, palms down, thumbs toward each other. from there, raise the right hand, and lower the left, until the staff is vertical. then, keep that going until the staff is horizontal. at this point, which should be on your left, bring the right hand back toward your butt, and keep spinning in the same direction of rotation. when it is horizontal again, start the left hand following in the same path. you will end up back where you started. from there, reverse what happened to start (vertical bit), while still slightly to your left side. as you bring it back across the front of your body, keep turning it until the left hand is leading, then do what you did on the right side. keep repeating this, and you should have something resembling a 3 beat weave, if i explained it right.

note: at no tome should your hands leave, or move along, the staff. some adjustment to spacing will probably be needed, but stop first, then start again with a different width. it may help if you open all but your index finger and thumb.

Thanks to josh, whom i saw using this technique to show someone how to do three beat smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

djmagicfairyBRONZE Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
I had the same problem but I practised loads with each hand and then one day it just happened, Don't know how but it did. so all I can add is keep at it and it will happen. Maybe not much help.......

What's your crack then?

MadMetsstranger
16 posts

Posted:
I managed to do a 2 beat weave the day I purchased my pois (I know it sounds cocky, but I don't lie about these things). It's basicaly doing the same movement with both arms. So you make the same 8 figure with both pois. But you lead with one arm. And you follow this movement with your other arm exactly half a beat later. There's no crossing with your arms or such. It's still tricky, but it's easier then the 3 beat weave you see on the Poi Lesson section.

BűzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:

This is what worked for me.
Use one poi. Stick out one arm, holding it in front of you. Holding the poi with the opposite hand, practice crossing over the poi, over and under the free arm. Do the same for the other hand.
keep practicing your weaker hand/arm. I am right-handed and it was always my left arm that was causing problems.

Another way to go about it is keep doing the 2 beat weave with one arm over the other, then change the arms, so the other arm is now underneath. develop this as much as you can since a weave is nothing more than one crossover after another, each time changing which arm you hold above the other - and unlike the 2 beat, the 3 beat weave is symetrical.

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
I learned to do the weave by using large over exagerated full arm movements which are giant figure eights with each arm. Once I got that down I started practicing bringing my arms in closer together until my wrists touched. Now I can do a weave without hassle, it's the behind the back weave I can't seem to figure out.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
hehe, everyone has a way...

For me, i learnt with clubs. standing with both hands on my lefthand side, crossed, with my right arm infront.

I do a forwards circle with my right hand, which ends up underneath my left hand. Then i do a forwards cirvle with my left hand and end it up on my *right hand side*, arms crossed, and then i do one more circle forwards on my left side, ending it on the outside of the right hand side.

I found it easier to concentrate on the hand doing the two circles, trying to think of both explodes my brain biggrin

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Sticks didn't work for you, that sucks, it what I would have suggested footinmouth

I think you should start doing the 2 beat weave (just crossing your arms over once) and stare at what is happening on one side of you. Watch which poi crosses over your body first and then when you're ready make sure it doesn't cross over instead keep it there and wait the next half beat for the second poi to come up and then cross that over with the first following weavesmiley Hope this helps devil

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I learnt weave by playing around, eventually figuring out that my hands were doing horizontal figure-of-eights in front of me, with one hand following the other. I learnt 3beat weave partly by watching this little guy weavesmiley

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
right pay attention cos this could be valuable info, i started poi a few monts ago and only lwearnt the weave about two weeks ago, but also note that i only strted trying to learn the weave 2 anda half weeks go so i can give u the advie i learnt andf rom tha u will realise you will be weaving in no time, cos now i start i just cant stop, basically i learnt the one hand weave, and all i did was attempt the weave 2 handed and it kept tanglign and everything but aftaer aboiut 20 mins of trying and trying ig ot it and did ti evr since, so my advice is (if u can read my writing is) just basically enjoy your oen handed weave, then just try adding two haned remering that one hand is chading the other it WILL keep tangling as it did with me, btu after about half an hour of trying th exact same move at different speeds i got it, trust me, you WILL get it just walk outside into your garden and think im gonna devote an hour to learnign this weave, and i promise you will have it, PROMISE

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
i also bought an instructional dvd a while ago which baasically said imagine u had a steering wheel of which u do really hard turns with bring the wheel voer to your left and right but oONLY steer with the outside hands, ti soudns odd but practise it, if you cant get it jsut PM me, i only learnt the weave the other day but only tried to learn it the day before the other day, tis easier than u think, good luck!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Zavienewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

trust me, you WILL get it just walk outside into your garden

That's just my problem!! I don't have a garden!!! And trust me that sucks! frown frown frown

Apart from that cool , thank you all, once I've noted that somewhere I'll go try at the park down the corner!!
ubbrollsmile

-Neil Gevisser-

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Did anyone understand what pyrowill was saying? umm

If you don't have a garden just go somewhere like a park; this has the plus side that you'll probably meet some other poi-ers. he first time I swung in public I met 2 other poi-ers within 10 minutes biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zavie

trust me, you WILL get it just walk outside into your garden

That's just my problem!! I don't have a garden!!! And trust me that sucks! frown frown frown

I learnt the weave in my bedroom. smile
My poi and my lampshade don't seem to get along very well though... wink

smells like burning teenagers..

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Written by: grotbox

I learnt the weave in my bedroom. smile
My poi and my lampshade don't seem to get along very well though... wink

Me too, and... me too wink

Dorothy Gale

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
me three!!, well that and the garden, but you dont have a garden, like flame boy said just find somewhere with some space and just go at it and at it, and when you got that, do ti back wards ubbloco you'll be looking cool in no time

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Glad to see your typing has improved PyroWill wink

like flame boy said just find somewhere with some space and just go at it and at it, and when you got that, do ti back wards ubbloco you'll be looking cool in no time

...and then do the 5 beat weave and the 5 beat reverse weave and then do it all BTB! biggrin

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
why stop there! try doing a handstand and then the weave? or maybe some sort of river dance??

pyrowill is now reading his posts to correct spelling mistakes due to paraffin induced malcordination of fingers smile

Zavienewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Thank you all!!thankx
I listened to all your advices but applied none of them (sorry!!). redface
And finally it came up by itself. Well my arms got to do it right alone. weavesmiley And let me tell you sometimes the brain better not get involved. I know that if I ever have to think about the move as it should be I'd twingle all along, but when I just don't think of it and let my arm go, it goes pretty well, so better not worry....

But now I have another question!! tongue

How does one do the reverse weave??? biggrin

-Neil Gevisser-

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
It was thinking about the move that did for me too. As soon as i stopped concentrating, it was fine.

Reverse?

Both hands on left side not crossed. swing left handbackwards to finish on right. swiang right hand backwards and finish on right. Arms are then crossed on right left hand under right.

Left hand back, right hand back and over to left, and then your left hand should be on top of the right arm, and does it's last circle.

For me the hardest thing there was crossing infront of me in reverse, and that's the bit i had to practise most.

smile

Dorothy Gale

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hi Zavie

I'm not sure if this is just me or if its a dyslexia thing or what, but in the main I find written instructions on how to do a move next to no use at all. I'm not sure yet if that just because I don't understand all the terminology everyone uses or as I say its down to my word blindness.

I've found the easiest way to learn is to watch people do the move and then break it down in my head. To this end I have found the poi lessons on here and Coley's lessons , and also Mot's place the most help. Coley's lessons have a break down frame by frame which helps and Mot's have a feeling of fun to them that make me giggle even as I'm smacking myself in the head for the hundreth time! I'd like to take this chance to thank all the people involved in setting up these lessons. THANK YOU for taking the time out to make the lessons and post them for others to see. The fact that some of the lessons are filmed face on and some from the side also helped me. The only thing that could make them any better is if in the right hand they had one coloured poi and in the left another, especially in some of the more complex moves. ubbrollsmile

So thats my tip Zavie. Goodluck with the reverse weave. I haven't mastered that one yet.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ooo a reverse (or backwards) weave, well ya see putting that as basic as i can for your average layman right, a reverse weave is a weave right, but backwards

oh you wanted to know how you do it...right wink

im not gonna confuse you with all this move your left here and stick your right hand there, instead, try doing a forwards weave and then turn 180 degrees so your facing the opposite way, by law you should automatically go into a backwards weave, ti just happens automatically, just go with the hands

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yay... I've got it! reverse/backwards weave! WoooHooooooo ubbrollsmile

[Edit]OoooooooooooooooHhhhOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooohOooooooo. I just did a 360 weave!!!!! biggrin ubbrollsmile biggrin

I have to confess to dropping my poi onto the floor and dancing a crazy jig over them singing to them "I told you I could do it!!! Didn't I tell you!"

Ok I need to go lay down now!
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1093433866)

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Can you do the 5 beat rev weave? Its near smegging impossible and took me few days to get it ubbloco

How about the BTB weave, I can do it with the poi travelling backwards but not forwards, can anyone do that?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I can't figure the 5 beat revese weave......... I will get it in the end though. As for the btb stuff I'm really bad at that but I'm working on it!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
congrats matey on getting it!

pretty much the only way to do a BTB weave is backwards smile

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
bugrit!

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
hehe gonna jump it here, well done on your conquest mate,
In the begining the btb stuff is easier to learn in reverse but it can be done both ways, it's important to learn both cause then you can do btb weaves while turning 360, it's a nice effect. Mind you saying that I also know some peeps that can only do it in forward motion I suppose you just gotta go with what feels better for you. But it can be done both ways. Well good luck and cya round....

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i just learned the reverse btb weave last week. i've no idea how the forward btb goes. it's funny though, coz the only other people i know who do poi only do the forwards btb weave. i think i learnt the reverse one by accident ubbloco

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Page: