Page:
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I have been learning the art of hula hoops for the past 18 months
and have found it to be a great new toy to play with. I never
thought there was so many things you could do with a hula
hoop.

I also use poi and staff and usually make my own equiptment. I have recently been thinking about making a fire hula hoop. I have heard of them but have never met anyone who uses them.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how to make them or where I could get one?

thanks smile

ubblovemajik

Live, love, laugh and dance!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Ive seen two types of fire hula. The first was a hula with wicks coming out on three inch wires about 6-8 times around the perimeter...the other was a hoop with another attached hoop about 3 inches out with fire rope all the way round the outer hoop. I dont know specifically how they were made just saw them from a distance.

Good luck - I've seen AMAZING Hoop stuff done, and I think its a WAY under-represented twirling/dancing art.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Thanks Josh
I have seen the first design you have mentioned though not the second. Though I am stumped on how to attach the wires without them coming through to the inside of the hoop. I also wanted to know what the hoop is made from. I make day hoops with plastic pipe but I'm not sure whether it will handle the heat.
I agree that it is a way under-represented art, when I first started using poi 6 years ago I had to explain what they were to people, though now everyones seen fire twirling. I hope it can be that way with hoops to. I would love to meet more hoop artists as I only know one other hoopists.
I'm glad you agree that hoops are GREAT!!!hugbiggrin
ubblovemajik

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Check this out:

https://www.irongypsy.com/frame.htm

Also - I've made one, but it wasn't the safest thing in the world. I'm still working on the design.

just found this on tribe, too:

"The Temple of Poi is pleased to offer fire hoops on sale now. These hoops

feature 4 fire spokes with 18 inches of wicking each mounting on 1 inch

diameter hoops. Our design is optimized for space, storage and

transportation efficiency and features detachable wicks which are easy to

assemble. The hoop cost is $75.

If you are interested in a fire hoop, please email firehoop@templeofpoi.com.

www.templeofpoi.com

(415)269-2088 "

EDITED_BY: rbmnyc (1092074753)

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Looks awesome, I've never seen fire hoops for sale. I now understand how there made though I'm still not sure whether it's easier to buy one or try make one. I'll do some experimenting.
Thanks heapsbiggrin
ubblovemajik

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you could try talking to moon pixie, or to bec, they both did some phat holla hoop fire stuff last week infornt of me! biggrin

was very cool, go to "mechs oz trip" thread in the social chat section for pics!

Step (el-nombrie)

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
thanks
The photos look awesome, it's good to see you enjoyed your visit over here. I might see you next time.
ubblovemajik

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
on a side note of fire hola hoop making

[Old link] there is a guy doing fire hola hoop with catherdral wicks on his hoop, you could try with this idea maybe!??!?!?!?!?!

Step (el-nombrie)

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Hey - I'm about to take another shot at building my own fire hoop tonight. If all goes well, I'll post my instructions and pictures here.

I'm so excited --- I can't wait to leave work and get started on this project!!

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
It's AWESOME. I can't say anything else. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

I heart my flaming hoop!! ubblove

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Fire hoops hey! Ooooh sounds like fun biggrin Teach me! Teach me!!
*runs off in search of a hula hoop to play with*

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
wowThat's so cool!
I havn't got around to making mine yet I've been really busy.
Okay, okay I admit it, I'm lazy. But I have been inspired by all this. A fire hoop seemed so far away and now it is within my grasp. I'll get to it someday soon.
I can't wait to see your pics, I'm sooo excited!!
YAY for hooping hoppers.clap bouncebounce2bounceclap
ubblovemajik

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Yup - it was a success. It is now taken apart and in my luggage for it's debut at Burning Man - TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

So I don't have any pictures of it yet - but I PROMISE a whole gallery load when I get back.

But I will post my directions for now - remember, this was all trial and error so I don't guarantee 100% safety or anything ... but if you're anxious:

Start by making the hoop: https://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

(I also like my non-fire hoop made like this. It's really pretty and comfortable and fun ... and I feel sexy when I play with it.)

Then for fire wicks you need:

1/4 inch threaded rod (about 10-12 inches for each wick - I put six wicks on my 10'6" hoop)
two washers for each wick
about 1 1/2 feet of kevlar wicking for each wick
4 nuts and 4 washers for each wick (two to hold the wick to the end, two to hold the other end to the hoop)
drill (one with a level was the key to making my hoop so even)
lots of patience

OK - so I measured out the correct distance between each wick, and marked it on the hoop (it will depend on how many wicks you want and how big your hoop is.) Then I used a 1/4 inch drill bit to drill holes through the hoop in each place - using a level to make sure the wick would go out perpendicular to the hoop in each spot (this is very important - I didn't use a level the first time, and my wicks were all pointed out in different directions, making it really wobbly and unsexy.)

Then do a modified cathedral fold (basically it's a cathedral fold that winds up in triangles instead of squares - but you can fold the wick however you like, I guess.)

Attach the wicks to the threaded rod, and then attach the rods to the hoop - going all the way through to the inside (no - a little bit of a nut will NOT hurt you when you're using it - just make sure the threaded rod doesn't stick out too far past the edge of the nut or you'll wind up with little bruises around your waist.)

I used "locking nuts" which was the key to not having my wicks fly out when I spin the hoop -- they look like they've got some glue or plastic stuff on the inside that holds them fast. and remembering to use washers was the second key - to give the nuts a flat surface to be up against, rather than the rounded hoop.

Finally, I secured each nut/rod combo with electrical tape (not totally necessary, but a good idea - especially if you can't find those locking nuts - they aren't that easy to find - I got them at the Lowe's near my house - but I don't know around the rest of the world about the hardware store situation.)

Total cost (total rough estimate - I bought stuff for other projects at the same time):
hoop (irrigation tubing and connectors): $15
nuts/washers: $6
threaded rod: $3
kevlar wicking: $30
plus the tools and labor and electrical tape ....
basically, I don't think it's much cheaper to do it yourself than to buy one - but it certainly is more rewarding!!

ubblove ubblove ubblove spread the hooping love ubblove ubblove ubblove

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
What do you think is the optimal diameter for fire hoops? I followed the jasonunbound.com directions of "11'6" to 13' in circumference", and it turns out to have about a 4' diameter. With the sticking out wicking it seems a little big (haha, i said "little big"!) You know what i mean. Slightly cumbersome. Anywho, what're all you hoopers out there using size-wize?

I AM working.

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Personally I like the big ones best. I find it easier to move it up and down my body and keep rhythm to the music. Also I find the smaller they are the faster you have to go which can be tyring after a while, you can go fast with the big ones too but you don't have just to keep it up. Sometimes I like to slow it down abit. I make my day hoops all different sizes but my biggest and the ones I use are from a 3.5 metre length of Polypipe, So their pretty big. I find all the people that say they can't hula a hoop when I give them a big one they can do it straight away. But again it's up to personal preference whatever feels better and is more convenient for you.
ubblovemajik

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
My regular hoop is 11 1/2 feet and my fire hoop is a little smaller - just over ten feet (so I can clear the ground with the wicks attached - sticking out about 8 inches each from the hoop as they are.)

However, I think my "regular" hoop now feels too light and small after playing with some really large ones out at Burning Man.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Ooohh you lucky, got to go to Burningman!! I missed it for the first time since 98. Were there alot of hula hoops there this year?

After burning my hoop last saturday, I decided I like the size of my hoop after all. It is easier than those dinky dohickies. I appreciate being able to move slowly. Makes it look effortless, graceful and sensual.

Thanks for your comments smile

I AM working.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Hey, this is my 20th post.

I am going to put a picture of me n my hoop up! hehe!

sunny

I AM working.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
TONS of hoops ... everywhere you looked. My friend (another hooping sort) walked around with our jaws dropped most of the week. Seemed like a lot of people modified their bikes to carry their hoops around, too. I couldn't believe it.

I haven't done my photo downloading yet ... but I'm getting around to it. I should have some flaming hoop shots on there .....

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
And Filthy - I liked your photo ....

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Thank you!!! smile

I AM working.

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Nice pic filthy peace
I still havn't made my fire hoop yet I've been so busy. I can't wait! A friend of mine also wants to help me because he wants to make it solid and safe. He works with metal and machinery so hopefully it'll be pretty smick.I have to wait til we both have free time and when I have spare money (which is rare). I just want it now, I hate waiting.
Anyhow, happy hooping!biggrinbiggrin
ubblovemajik

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
What if you can't hula?

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
When I was young I could hula hoop, I was great at it, I could do it for ages.

Recently I got one cos I thought it would be good to do it again. I can't.
I have tried and tried but it just don't happen.
I don't understand.
It's very sad. frown

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
same thing happened to me and the guitar! was in a band when i was 15 n we even got to play at the same all dayer as new model army....picked up a les paul last weekend....couldn't remember a single bloody chord...grrrr

It's smashing to be back x

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Aww, that's sad.
But I bet you didn't look as foolish as I did, wiggling my arse pointlessly while the hoop languished on the floor.

New Model Army?
Not bad!

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Actually - hooping is far easier than the hoops we had as kids would make it seem. DON'T try with one of the cheap light plastic ones you get at toy stores. It will only frustrate you.

If you want to make one, try this:
https://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

If you want to buy one, try here:
https://www.bettyhoops.com

I thought I couldn't do it either - and I definitely couldn't do it when I was a kid ... then my friend MADE me try her bettyhoop, and I was instantly hooked!!

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
When I was young I couldn't make a hoop stay on my hips for more than 3 seconds. I tried and tried and used to get so frustrated. Then a few years ago I joined a performance group and one of the girls did hula art. Her hoops were massive and weighted she assured me I could do it. I figured I had nothing to lose so I had a go. It just worked I was so excited I had to learn more. I think the larger size of the hoop makes it easier because it moves slower around the body. If you find a big hoop have a go I promise it will work. Just don't try wiggle around wiggle back and forth. Good luck.
ubblovemajik

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I found another site with fire hoop making instructions, for those of you who are interested:

https://home.earthlink.net/~aspenmoon/firehoop.htm

Haven't tried to use these instructions myself yet ... but it looks good to me.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I love Tee-nuts!!

I used almost the same instructions as that website, except for the wicks... I wrapped 2" kevlar around a 3" eyebolt. The eye keeps the wick from flying off into the great wide yonder. The eyebolts are detachable from the threaded rod by using a threaded joiner thingy, and I can dip all the wicks at once by putting a rope through all the eyes and just dipping the whole lot of 'em. Get it?

I AM working.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Tee nuts ... hmmmm, never heard of 'em before I saw this thread ... but it's time to make a new fire hoop (got 200 feet of tubing and buckets load of gaffer's tape in the mail yesterday - yee HA!) so I'm gonna try this method.

Unfortunately, though, I don't understand how the eyebolt attaches to the threaded rod ... got a picture of the 'joiner thingie'?

PS - ms. filthy, where are you? Any chance you're near to NYC? ... we could always use more hoopers around here!

Page: