EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
mmm... ice cream...chocolate...
oops sorry,
My train of thought was still de-railed on the whole ice cream thing

ahem! Dance...yes, it rocks biggrin ubbloco

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Its a home truth that you wigling makes poi seem more fluid though. I saw it last night when myflat made did a lovely smooth turn that i cant do. And i cant do it because i dont move my ass out of the way,.

That must be me then. redface
Thanx!! wink

"I see," said the blind man.

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dancing with Poi - it's my favourite pass time.

So after twirling for about 4 and a half years now, I have a soundish repertoire of technical tricks and can dance with them. At least I like to think I do wink.

Since, I don't have a huge repertoire of technical tricks, I used to find that sometimes I would be frustrated or at least feel inadequate (especially when Josh and I went to the UK and I saw what some of you guys could do). It made me feel a little pressured by the way poi seems to be developing into getting more technical. Then when I got back to Oz I came to the realisation...

Poi or twirling for that matter is what you want out of it... and for me that's dance. biggrin What can I say I am a dancer or at least I consider myself as liking dancing… a lot. So that comes first. When I poi I really try and dance and move my body especially to the music which dictates my flow. I may end up doing simpler moves but grooving to the tunes. Then you can really see my self expression come out.

Sometimes I will find myself too tired at a doof to twirl (ok it happens sometimes) or more often there’s no room on the dance floor to twirl. So I end up dancing the same way I would if I had poi in my hands. It's lots of fun. If you know your circles well and where the poi are going to go in particular moves and transitions you can really work on they way your body is moving and so you can really groove with the music. If you go with the notion “Dance like no one is watching you” it doesn’t matter what you look like wink So don’t be afraid.

I think there’s room for both Technical twirling and dancing. But I tend to side more with the dancing. I find I really enjoy watching someone dance with a few simple moves then watch someone pull of a million different technical moves but be stiff as a board. Although I will still be way impressed with your technicalness.

Anyway, Glass I am secretly kinda glad you are "unlearning" your techy moves to dance more... but I think you could really pull of the technical twirling and dancing matey. Keep up the good work.

Love, Light..........and lurking... ubblove

~*~Katinca~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
suddenly a large feline marching band in black and white pirate costumes and banners that say "GETTING JIGGY WHILE DOING 7 BT ISO BTB HYP INV CROSSWV WW'S" walks through the forum with horns and drums blaring

"hup, you were right josh, there they go..." wow eek
bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
hugs to durbs redface

Valura is sooo right - she just can't help but dance and she always looks incredible. biggrin Oli is kinda similar to Glass (wicked to see you posting - keep up the unlearning!) in the sense that they have such knowledge and understanding of the way poi can be used technically without getting boring and static - I take my hat off to them both.....

Of other boys I've seen twirl I reckon Bender, Josh and Ben-ja-men all manage to get it too - I could watch you all spin for hours (or possibly days if you didn't fall down from exhaustion) ubbloco

I would write a really long post but having read Katinca's I'm simply going to say I agree totally with everything she said. smile (she is such an inspiring spinner too. How annoying - surely it's not fair to be both wise and talented wink )

Some people love to turn and spin and dance with their favourite flowing moves
Some like to express themselves through the techy gravity-defying tricks with less dancing
Others pick a bit from each and see where it takes them

I love that poi is so versatile. I love that everyone uses it how they like and enjoys it nonetheless. I love that although i usually prefer to watch someone dance and bounce, the person next to me could be fascinated only by the incredibly technical new ideas. It's all about how we and other people react so differently to what we do and how we enjoy such different aspects of it - and i love that too.

.......wanders off to find the hat she was wearing when she came in........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
me, i cant dance. unless im drunk. and we all know that drunk and fire dont mix.

I do try to move, however im not sure if i acheive a great deal or not. im thinking of learning some more technically stuff, then learning to dance and/or wiggle, then mixing the two together. I hope that works well enough...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I don't think you don't need to learn to dance, I think you just need to allow yourself to dance.weavesmiley

Live, love, laugh and dance!

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
HERE HERE!!!!

Let yourself move with the poi and/or staff, and slow down your movments, you can find that this may even "force" you to move around and dance... wave tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I like to dance with Kadafi
https://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_artist.asp?artist_id=102
Kadafi make me wanna moveitmoveit baaaaad

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page:

HOP Newsletter