Forums > Social Discussion > is change of regime going to change anything?

Login/Join to Participate

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
ello, this id just something that has been eating at me:

If John Kerry is ellected president of the united states of america, and Bush goes back where he belongs(id say hell, but more realisticaly, texas), will the united states and the world become a better place? I like to think yes, and hope that at the very least Kerry wont make things anyworse, but i cant help but think that Kerry would have to spend all his time fixing the holes left by the last administration and wont be able to make many positive changes. I'm sorry that im such a pessimist, and please understand that i support Kerry and desperatly wish that he is elected.

Any thoughts?

peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
I think if Kerry gets elected the fiasco in Iraq will still have it's problems. However I can see a better working relations with Iran, which is an important step. Actually I imagine Kerry would be more willing to work with the Arab Council of Nations (or whatever they are called?) which is basically the Middle East leaders summit.

That would probably deal with a lot of the issues. The Arabs aren't exactly huge fans of terrorists either (re: The Iraqi Militia freeing hostages because the hostage takers were Al Quaida), they just have different world views than Americans. And work with and around those differences is something the Democrats would look at, as opposed to trying to force them to become like Americans (as Bush seems inclined to do).

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think the United States will help to make the world a better place than it is right now, which is a world in which the US is making the world a miserable place. Tolerable beats miserable any day.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Personally I don't have much of any faith in Kerry to standby his word in anything...

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Credibility and Cronyism. Currently, due to the Bush administration, the US' standing in the world is on a terrific downward spiral. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield, Ashcroft et al have no credibility outside of Republican supporters and a minority of fellow extremists around the world. Politicians around the world, with the exception of those who have something to gain by copying the US line, know that Bush is directly and indirectly responsible for some many wrongs, from environmental destruction to murder.

With a change of president the US has a chance to hit reset and begin to work its way to regaining some moral, ethical and legal respect.

With a change of president a lot of jobs also change. They may all still be Kerry's buddies from the Ivy League, but it'll be a different bunch and it's almost impossible to see how they could be worse. Even a lesser of two evils is an improvement.

Those who have destroyed the US's reputation and damaged its standing not only internationally, but also in the eyes of it's own people, will be removed from positions of power. Hopefully absolute Presidential power will be removed, the constitution will be respected once more, the environment will be put in charge of someone who isn't connected to the energy industry.

Importantly, if people who want change become disillusioned with the process that brings about change and become apathetic the status quo will continue. Either work with the system for change or start a movement to effect change, but don't do nothing and complain!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think that if Kerry does get elected he will have had to have sold his soul to special interest groups to do so. So I'm not sure that much all will change.

BUT I do think it is an important step to get Bush's name off everything. Perhaps it will give the US some international credibility if we can get Bush out of office. But only for the name's sake.

But I don't think it will happen anyway.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i agree with what the others have said. like at the end of the day if kerry get's in it'll still be a bunch of cronies running it, but at least they'll be democrat cronies who actually seem to think about things slightly more than the warmongering republican right wingers... rolleyes

either way i think that america as a nation has got some serious issues when it comes to patriotism and frontier mentality which need adressing and go far deeper than the regimes themselves. umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I don't usually blame a president for the country's problems...Since president's aren't very smart. (Think about it, they spend $187 MILLION to get elected to a job that only pays $400,000 a year.)
It's easy to blame Bush for a lot of the problems the US is facing right now. It's easy because...they're all his fault. The current administration has stepped on more international toes than ever, we're up to our ears in debt, our soldiers are dying in a meaningless fracas, can't get health care to our old people, can't educate our young people, gays can't marry, our environment is being raped and big business is as corrupt, greedy and untouchable as ever...and much of it can be directly blamed for Bush's decisions and personal feelings.

And our only hope is John Kerry...... *sigh* ...Where's my passport?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Bush's faults can be summed up in one big problem.

Being so blinded by idealism that he wouldn't know reality if it got into bed with him.

-Mike

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
nice post Dom.

let me just say that my mom and i are going to work on the Kerry campaign, i support him, but beause hes not bush, not beause i like his policies, i think that many of the people who vote for him will do so because they dont want four more years of bush, and if he does get elected, it will be a veryclose call, so about half the population will be opposed to him already, not to mention the fact that he will have a republican congress.... i dont know it just seems like this would be a difficult situation to work with

and then thers kerry's nomination acceptance speach, i liked parts of it alot, especially this (paraphrased) " saying that america can do better is not unpatriotic, it is the heart of patriotism itself"

but the amout that he stressed his war service was ridiculous, then again it is defintely on thing he got over bush

and what he said about a strong military and not backing down and such seemed like he was playing it safe, of course, this is becasuse he wants to get elected, but i can only hope he will show his true colors if he is elected

oh yeah, and all this campaining, who are the trying to convince? the 1% of undecided voters! all those millions of dollars of campaign money that could be put to better use frown

all i can say is that i hope people realize that a man that can say"our enemies never stop finding ways the harm our people and neither do we" and not immediatley realize that he had said something wrong eek

peace.fire

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
would it matter if the hamburglar tied up ronald mcdonald and put on some makeup?

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think Kerry is a lot better than a lot of us give him credit for. Candidates often move to the center for an election. They're trying to blanket as much of the vote as possible.

I think he'll turn out to be much better than we think.

-Mike

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i hope so

if anything hes a lot better than bush