Forums > Social Chat > How do you know if you need glasses?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
How do you know when you should go and get your eyes checked to see if you need glasses?
as a student, im always either reading, doing work (ew, been doing probability just now!) or on my laptop, and my eyes have been hurting a bit, but most of all ive been getting headaches and feeling slightly light-headed.
i figure it's either
1) i need glasses
2) stress related
3) a bit of both

so how do i know if i should go and check it out?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Step 1: Go to an optician/opthamologist (depending on your country)
Step 2: Repeat every 2 years / as necessary

Er... that's it smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
rouge get some sleep and relax for a bit and your eyes will get better.

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Headaches - go to the opticians. Easiest way of curing recurring headaches.

I used to get headaches in work looking at the computer screen - i needed glasses just for computer work.

I sounds to me like you might need them for reading/eye strain only like i only need them for computers.

Book in for an eye test and good luck!

Gayle.....!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I found out when I went out to eat with my dad, and couldn't read the menu on the board from where I was sat.

But I'm naughty, and don't wear my glasses much- only when I'm on the computer (and sometimes for reading). tongue

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
eek because you can't see things that everyone else can. i began to notice when i couldn't read the blackboard in class when i was a kid. or to re-phrase that, my teacher propably begun to wonder why i was pulling faces at her all the time.... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
yup. go get your eyes checked. tension headaches sit in a different place than eye strain. and with the light-headedness, i'd say it's problems with your eyes.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Best way to find out: get your eyes checked. If you don't think it's because you need glasses, then the answer is: get your eyes checked. If you're sure it's just stress and that it'll go away if you just eat better and get more sleep: get your eyes checked.

Is a pattern beginning to emerge here? Vision correction is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
yep, generally when you can't see any more, you need 'em! I found out I needed them when I got my eyes checked at school in 2nd grade. My sister found out she needed them when she put on her friend's glasses, and was like "oh-things look a lot better through these!"
I hope you don't need to get them-they can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Good luck with the headaches!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
it's not that i can't see, i can actually see fine; its just the headaches and dizzyness. i'll see how it goes (next week shouldnt be as stressful as the one just past) and then take it from there.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Generally, you need glasses if things look out of focus. But the best way to know is to go to an opthalmologist or optometrist and get your eyes checked. A lot of eyeglasses stores do free (or very cheap) exams.

But headaches and dizziness can mean a lot of things, depending on the severity. Since you're posting on HOP and not stumbling into your local ER, I'm supposing they're not that severe, just annoying.

I recommend that you try a very large glass (or two) of cool water next time one happens. That fixes the problem about 80% of the time.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Rouge- it definitely starts with the headaches and then within weeks you will notice you can't see people's faces until they are closer than they used to have to be, that sort of thing! BUT both times i went travelling for a few months and got away from the computer screen my eyes improved... nobody seems to believe this is true but even my optician backed me up on it! trouble is, whenever i start working on a computer again they get far worse... i sense that next time i get a job (eek!) i may have to give in and get glasses. which i'm kinda looking forward to apart from the expense as glasses can be very cool! biggrin

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
rouge i hope your head is ok! like the mad doctor said - have some water - but not too cold otherwise your headache will get worse!! (i just did that and it was baaaaaddd!!! umm )

here - have a hug! did that help?! better have another one hug just in case!!!

biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
I know i get headaches from bad posture at work - I have back/neck pains, not too badly, but when sitting at a computer for hours i start to get headaches from my back.... have you had any neck/back pain at all??

Also... dizziness... hows your iron levels?? I know i get dizzy when my iron levels are bottoming out...

Just because you have both things doesn't mean they are definatly related....

But best of all, get yourself checked out by a doctor or optomotrist, at the very least to put your mind at ease hug

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i often get neck pain. a friend of mine gave me a massage the other week and said i was "stone-like"
i have no idea how my iron levels are. i always try to keep them up, but i'm never sure.
ive told me folks that i might need my eyes tested, but i dont think they took me seriously.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Go to the Doc and get a general check up. If there is anything majorly wrong with you it will get spotted and sorted out. Other than that try to relax more and eat well.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Rather than start a new thread i thought i'd bump this one.

I've just picked up my new lenses on a new prescription. I put them on and felt dizzy and giddy. Within about 5 mintues i started getting a headache and my spatial awareness at my desk seems to have gone a little AWOL e.g. putting hand on the mouse and missing it slightly.

Looking up from the keyboard and back down from the screen is also weird as the kepboard is not where it feels.

Is this normal?

I've looked around on the internet and they seem to suggest it will fade soon and somebody in the office that wears glasses said this happened but faded so i'm fighting through it. However, when i had my eye exam my left eye was playing up, taking longer than usual to focus and so, i couldn't read the charts quick enough for the speed of the exam. They said one eye had got worse (the left one which was playing up) and one had got better.

I might be worrying for nothing, but i don't remember this giddyness and headache from first getting glasses and i'm wondered my prescription might be wrong.

Wish i'd stuck with my old glasses now...

Gayle.....!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
If they are making you feel sick and dizzy take the out...

They may not be the right prescription for you.

I used to work at OPSM head office and worked in the area that dealt specifically with contact lenses...the amount of people who rang up saying the same thing...take them out and then go to your optometrist and tell him what you are experiencing, he may tell you it is normal but he should by rights check you again to make sure the prescrition is correct.

Better to take them out and check and find out it is something you will "get over" than to keep them in if they are not the right prescrition...

(OPSM is one of the leading glasses and optometrist companies in Australia btw)
EDITED_BY: Medusa (1143213442)

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I should clarify. New eye glasses not contacts. I've just had the lenses in them replaced.

walking round the office feeling drunk is quite fun but slightly annoying. ubblol

Gayle.....!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I still stand by what I said but instead of taking them out take them off....go back to the optometrist and get him to check again and allay any fears...they are the experts after all....that is what they are there for..

hehehe...my crew up I saw lenses and thought contacts...everything has to be explained slowly to me...I am blonde.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Gayle - i usually experience symptoms like you describe when i get given a new prescription, but it goes away after a day or so. If the sensation is still there after a couple of days then i'd go back to the optician.

In the meantime, enjoy the strange sensation you'll probably get if you look at your feet...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yeah I get those symptoms with new glasses too.

Infact, got my eye test for new glasses on Sunday

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
How odd confused
I never got those symptoms with mine!
When I put them on I thought 'Christ! I can see! I can see number plate, I can't see number plate, I can see number plate I can't see number plate...' etc. Was quite fun...

Hope it does die down! hug

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I always get that for the firest few days after replacing broken glasses.
I usually try to wear them for 5 - 10 mins, then take them off and slowly let my eyes adjust.
Btw this is after not wearing glasses at all for about a week.

A few friends of mine get the same. It seemes to happen when you have a strong presciption eg. your eyes are need a stronger pair of lenses than others.

We also notice that the thicker your lenses (in glasses I mean) the more likely this is to occur

Are you up for it?
wink;)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
When I was in high school I kept asking my biology teacher to focus the overhead projector.

One day after class he pulled me aside and said "Mike, the projector is focused. You need to get your eyes checked."

So I told my mom who, predictably, responded "Oh, you're such a hypochondriac!"

Eventually, I went to the ophthalmologist whose reaction was "you've been driving like this???" Made my mom feel about the size of a small seed...

Most amazing feeling to put on glasses for the first time and actually be able to SEE! I had no idea how much I'd been missing.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I remember getting glasses for the first time, I looked down and I felt ten feet tall ubblol

I get headaches and eye aches, probably due to me not wearing my glasses or contact lenses enough beause

1 Lenses are a right nuicence

2 I don't particularly like wearing glasses

3 I am rubbish at taking care of glasses (I lost another pair yesterday)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
ive never had my eyes tested rolleyes

and im hoping my eyes are fine...i only just found out eye tests are free, so imna get down to one soon to have a check

i wanna get them checked before i start learning to drive, i dont want to embarras myself if somehow i overlooked that my sight is rubbish and cant do the sight test bit
EDITED_BY: buzzingtalk (1143301283)

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'd like to add, that I know I am short sighted because

I can't see the tv unless I sit within a metre of it

I can't read peoples facial expressions when I'm furthur than a few metres away

Can't recognise who people are past a few metres from me

Which all a bit annoying when your not wearing any form of lenses rolleyes

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
I realised things were going wrong when I discovered that everybody but me was able to read the blackboard...

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
I'm still waiting to need glasses... everyone in my immediate family has needed corrective lenses since early childhood. i'm the only one who has lasted into my mid-20s without my eyesight deteroiating (much). my mum for some reason assumed that i'm like the rest of the family and have been wearing contacts years! biggrin

though i might get a pair anyway if a cute girl seriously reckons i look cute in glasses smile
glasses are sexy wink

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I don't think I have had headaches from a new prescription, but certainly had them from working on a computer alot, it is the staring at a white screen for too long... so here is a little tip that I use that helps me

- change the background to blue and the words to white, it is much easier on the eyes... There is an option in word to do this for you - stops me getting headaches...

Page: