Forums > Social Chat > How do you know if you need glasses?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
How do you know when you should go and get your eyes checked to see if you need glasses?
as a student, im always either reading, doing work (ew, been doing probability just now!) or on my laptop, and my eyes have been hurting a bit, but most of all ive been getting headaches and feeling slightly light-headed.
i figure it's either
1) i need glasses
2) stress related
3) a bit of both

so how do i know if i should go and check it out?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Reasons for bad vision vary.

It originates in

a) psychological reasons: stress for example (question: "what do I want to blur out of my life? Myopia)
b) physical: Deformation of the eye (hard to cure without surgery, but might be compensated)
c) bad diet
e) bad watching habits (overexertion, TV/ PC all night, no rest)

Written by: Rouge Dragon

so how do i know if i should go and check it out?

As long as you manage to get along and can read the highway directions at 150mph - don't bother.

If you can't - go slower!

I started "doing glasses" at age 24 and have a hard time to quit... I try to take them off whenever I think about it and I even could operate a car, or motorcycle without them (-3.5/ -4.5) but this is because I didn't wear any for the first half of my life (even though I would have needed them). I know a lot of people who can't go to the toilet in their very own home, without wearing their glasses (and this is mainly due to psychological reasons)...

See I haven't ever heard of anyone whose sight got "healed" by glasses (doesn't mean that there are none)... but glasses are only a subsitute and one that is making you dependant.

Whenever I am able to make the time I will use this method, to train my eyes...

more info
and more
and more

As soon as I am back next week I will try to search for another book and send you the title and ISBN...

wink ubbloco umm

Don't mess with your eyes.. wink

PS: Why is this in "Chat"?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'd have been very dubious about that if you hadn't included a link that wasn't directly out for money. I'll have to spend some more time reading the seeing.org site.

I find it very interesting that the free exercise given on one site is the same way that magic eye pictures work.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused Bovril, dunno what exactly you're referring to? Pls clarify...

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

Maybe I should have added a quote in my last post.

Anyway, I generally don't trust sites that say they have miracle cures but want you to buy the formula from them. If you hadn't included the link to the seeing.org site, which doesn't look as though it's out to make some cash, I would have been much more skeptical.

As to the magic eye thing - the free exercise on this site uses the same principle as magic eye pictures, just with a more simplified picture.
Having said that, I found the depth you need to focus on before the third cup looks right to be a fair bit more than most magic eye pictures I've seen.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
wow

Animated autosterograms ! I didn't know about them !

I find that I can see autostereograms by using one of two different approaches:

by litterally crossing my eyes and then relaxing them back

or focusing my eyes as if the image was about a foot furthur back (from the image on the screen or page) then bringing my head backwards from it.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well all of this is about training the eyes and getting rid of or avoiding glasses... If I'd recommend a book, you'd also have to buy it...

By the way all of the corresponding sites offer a little bit and piece of their entire programme for free - nobody is forced to eath the entire bush, for enjoying the taste of strawberries...

But basically I would like to point out that personally I don't understand why it seems to be illegal to make a buck out of research and findings in general... Only because HoP is free of charge, doesn't mean that all beneficial sites and programmes have to be... umm

I listed the sites as they offer a very different approach to myopia, or other conditions that usually make glasses necessary... sorry that my contribution isn't welcome... shrug

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

sorry that my contribution isn't welcome... shrug

What?? That's not the case at all, as far as I'm concerned it's a very welcome contribution.

And I don't see anything wrong about making a living off your research.
But.. I'm also very wary of anything on the internet, especially any medical sites that claim to make your life better - they should definately be taken with a grain of salt until they're backed up by someone more impartial.

There's nothing really to stop me creating a site that sells information packs telling people how to prevent deep vein thrombosis on long haul flights by putting carrots up their nostrils - I can invent as much 'proof' as I need to back up my claims.
That's the kind of thing I'm wary of, but as I said, since seeing.org isn't really out to make any cash, it removes a bit of skeptisim, as it doesn't have a vested interest in persuading people that the Bates method works.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
t's allright bovril - maybe just a little sensitive at the moment smile

But you DEFINATELY need glasses, if you have no problem looking at THIS wink

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
you know you need glasses when you drink from a bottle of bleach rather than that tasty bottle of wine you keep for a special occasion

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
:bounces:

I have new glasses now, I can see again. biggrin

There's blades of grass again, and guess what - my house has bricks? Who would have thought?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I also got hooked on the sensation to actually recognise peoples faces and not being considered rude anymore, passing ppl by without saying hello... smile

Welcome to the club, pink hug

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh i've been wearing glasses for years, just my old ones were so crap it was as if i wasn't wearing glasses!!

But my new ones... ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
my parents realised i needed glasses after i kept walking into things.

they just thought i was clumsy.

apparently i kept walking into the corner of the kitchen table. ouchy!

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pretz

my parents realised i needed glasses after i kept walking into things.

they just thought i was clumsy.

apparently i kept walking into the corner of the kitchen table. ouchy!

I walk into things all the time... and drop things... knock stuff over... eek

But my eyes are fine... I really am clumsy ubbloco

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Sorta related but not really...

My new GF is really shortsighted, she wears contacts during the week but can't be bothered on the weekend... When I say "really" shortsighted, she needs to put her phone about 10cm from her face to read messages.

Problem is I've only ever seen her on the weekend... So she's only ever seen me without contacts. eek

I'm worried she can't see me clearly.. What if she puts in her contacts and thinks I'm ugly...? ubblol

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)

Best way to find out: get your eyes checked. If you don't think it's because you need glasses, then the answer is: get your eyes checked. If you're sure it's just stress and that it'll go away if you just eat better and get more sleep: get your eyes checked.

Is a pattern beginning to emerge here? Vision correction is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

+1 although, i havent seen my optician for four years, and i wear glasses. eeep

Just call me Pop.

Page: