Forums > Social Chat > the miscellaneous data thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
post all your random facts here smile

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
wait you telling me that senator kinsey has no facts... how did he almost shut down SGC with no facts!!! and what about adrian conrad... isn't he verifiable

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Well, if you believe the primary sources...like the SG-1 mission reports. (Some facts are classified.)

I guess the distinction between a fact and a factoid isn't something you think about when you have a Goa'uld symbiote chewing on the back o' yer neck.

Fact: an actual Egyptologist was hired for the movie Stargate. I believe much of the language spoken by e.g. Ra in that movie is actually a pretty reasonable reconstruction of Middle Egyptian (the vowels of that tongue are not known, but the guesses sound pretty good to me - need to watch the movie again and listen to Ra talk).

Needless to say (for anyone who's watched it), there was NO Egyptologist involved in the making of the TV series.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
The reason that you say "love" in tennis instead of zero is because of the french word "l'œuf" which means egg (kinda like goose egg) and just kinda stuck.

And I thought I heard that a pig's orgasm could last for a month, but I'm not positive about that one.

Oh, and another one, in Moulin Rouge, Nicole Kidman wears a wig. Maybe this doesn't surprise some people, but I was crushed. frown

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by:

being an unofficial fact checker, where did you get your info tao star? i'm looking at a map of the trans-siberian railway, and it doesn't look very straight to me... also, since when was czar Alexander III an emperor?

https://www.transsib.ru/Map/transsib-passenger-eng.gif

by the way, the last three facts were from Douglas Adams, who is highly unreliable when it comes to facts.

ah ha! yes you are right on both counts.

slap on the wrist for me for just believeing Douglas and not checking on him... redface

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

342 posts

Posted:
mr ed, television's talking horse, was played by a zebra... on the day filming of the pilot began, the trained horse they had bought wouldn't cooperate. a local zoo was showing a trained zebra at the same time, who could do the sort of tricks needed, so they used it. the zebra looked so much like a horse in b&w and worked so well on camera, that they continued to use it.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

456 posts

Posted:
The title song is an interesting story too. The lyricist wrote it as it's known, but then the composer set it to some Very Serious Music, and the lyricist hated it. He went in to the producer, and said "Why can't it be something funny and quirky like..." and sang it. The producer liked it. Not only was that tune used, but the lyricist (a non-singer, really) is the voice who appears on the soundtrack.

When I was in college, a bunch of us were over at a friends, and the phone rang. Someone said "the phone is ringing," and me and my friend Stuart both piped up with "shall I answer?" and then looked at each other in horror. We'd realized, you see, that there was someone else in the room who knew that we'd each had a talking Mr. Ed hand puppet when we were kids. We kept each other's secret well, though.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
To get Mr Ed to make his lips move, they smeared peanut butter on his gums & roof of mouth. To get the voice to sound like it was coming from the horse, the person doing the voice often times stood on the opposite side of the horse or at the back of the horse where the cameras couldn't see.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

456 posts

Posted:
Madam Flame, why did they need to do that? It was pre-stereo, and everything came out of the same speaker...as long as the volume was plausible, the speaker could have stood behind the camera, or added the voice track later.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Mr Ed was a horse.

Apparently the "Mr Ed is a zebra" thing was invented by an urban legands smashing site called snopes.com, to show how quickly a new ledgend could travel.

Here's the orginal snopes page:
https://www.snopes.com/lost/mistered.asp#add

And here's the explanation:
https://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

342 posts

Posted:
well, i'll be buggered, those bastards... i simply assumed that they were right because of the other correct info on their site. imagine a myth busting site perpetrating myths... someone should do something... thanx for telling me

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Hahah ubblol

Written by:

i simply assumed that they were right because of the other correct info on their site

That's exactly their point, never assume too much is true

Well, glad to have been of service biggrin

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Page: ...