Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

Flame SwirlWeilder of the P.E.T.S.O.C.K.
247 posts

Posted:
Tanks Ado, that sounds about right wink
I'll see if I can get my mate down with a camera tonight so I can put a movie up. We'll see. wink
Yeah it's lotsa fun when I get it, it just feels so nice.
Mi sticks are approx. 90cm long, they come almost to my waist. The're the ones I have been practicing with but I have been using Josh's with fire on fridays, I think they are a little shorter.
The friday spins are getting really big! It's awsome. You definatly have to come over sometime.

wavehello Ben smile

Reality is mass beleif...

Feed me and I will grow, give me drink and I will die...

I'll lap at your heels, if you give me the chance. Though I won't fetch or stay, I surely will dance...

Enjoy, be happy, and don't forget to breathe...

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
right then, you lot back from uberness yet...what you learn?

(*^*&£$^^£$^%£@^$@^&$%$@ my sticks are broken frown

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
mmm

isolations all over the place. single staff. doubles paralell, behind the head and wheel plane waist wraps

push outs - tuck under shoulder in wheel plane and let it roll onto your hand so it can be pushed out the same way you do and elbow wrists elbow. i have a feeling these are going to be very usefull.

i also learned the use of that scissors action you use to pass it from wrist to wrist or in handrolls. its a really handy way to impart speed to the stick so that you dont have to go tearing into it with push and pull all the time.

360 degree fishtails, and much improved forward and reverse fishtails. no more cheating in forwards. jump or bounce?

games and dancing, adding sticks and or people as desired. contact only is alot of fun.

doubles halos with behind the back/front (optional waist wrap on same side) catchs, same direction paralell and butterfly split time.

thowing/catching underhand and from behind the head and back throws (under arm and over shoulder)

lots of silly stalls. see ninja steves vids

mutant thumbs. love your thumbs steve. got a figure of eight thing going today + hand roll to behind the back pass to handroll. reverse fishtail to behind the back thumbpass to forward fistail. Look mom!! no fingers!! almost have an extended confusatron, just have to dislocate my thumb about another inch.

i figured out a front side waist wrap with a stick swap that reverses direction. but when i swap the sticks in reverse they stay in reverse. confused

more soon, if i start on doubles contact i'll be here all night smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
uberstaff was good aye?

I haven't even started on the baton vids!

What I learnt today:

Two ways to do doubles elbow wraps.

Horizontal Angel Rolls! Why didn't I think of that before?

ANd layouts in the same fashion...

Various ttn things.

elbow wrap shoulder stalls.

And other stupididy of the cheesiest order...real good.

That and continous stops with my foot. Hmmmm feet.

Oh and translations in butterfly isolations. Nice.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
um, I learnt to throw the staff up and the catch it?

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Double eblow rolls? Sounds tasty.... are you you doind this from outwards butterfly and keep the sticks on the same arm are is it some kind of crazy thing?

incidently, tim's elbow to cross trap to elbow on sphere is wicked. any idea how to do it?

Butterfly isolated translations sound lovely too. Sounds like it might require bendiness though. Isolations are the bomb!!!!

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: bonzai

um, I learnt to throw the staff up and the catch it?

given who the teachers were i would say your a master of understatement bonzai. i got you on film to prove it too smile

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
isolations do rock indeed - ever since the uber weekend mine have come on a treat - im trying to get at the moment...........

reverse isolaed weave on left side, push left hand into halo, carry the right over into forward isolated weave on right side.........

If done right you can isolate them all the way - shorter stix work better smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
islolated weave eek

isolated split time butterflies are nice too....

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
isolated split time butterfly eek

i understand the whole same time butterfly as you isolate around 1 end of the staffs - but split time confused

help me Ado-p, your my only hope!

**dissapears back into R2 unit**

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
biggrin

think four beats instead of one.

four beats confusing?

think isolated snakes (or double spins as they do get called)

isloated weave. where do i start?

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
you start in the world of paralel doubles, ask faberge about that as she had it nailed just before you left Ed.

From there - work in some isolations, id love to de more descriptive, but im crap at that type of thing and am working on a new staff vid anyway, so ill have a special Ado tribute section smile

On a totally off topic note: i want to come to ireland for a weekend in june /july - where is it best to fly to and what weekend are you and the any of the irish contingent available?

smile

Ireland 2 is well overdue wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ooohhhhh

smile

hug

Well, I'm in cork and/or limerick depending on your taste... plenty of spinny fun to be had in both.

Faberge is in dublin along with Dec and loads of other firey heads

Theres also heads in meath, galway, belfast.

Take your pick, We'll meet you there with a box of barry's tea and a dubie.

smile

Love is the law.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

isloated weave. where do i start?

You can already do an isolated 3 beat - it was at the end of the isolations workshop, and I'm pretty sure I saw you do it...

If not, start with one stick, doing the friendly happy canoe movement, with left end staying on the left side of your body. Now let the left end cross over, so it brings your left hand coming up to your right armpit. Take your right hand over and across to your left side, let the left hand follow, then unwrap your arms, then let them wrap up until your right arm gets up to your left armpit.

Hmmm, slightly crap description, but it might work.

Then just do the same thing with two sticks, isolating them tongue

Am confused about split time butterfly isolations, though. Have to have a think.

I'm thinking that shifting the timing on the butterflies so that they cross horizontally rather than vertically could be fun smile

Double bonus points to anyone who can keep a clean 90 degree isolation and do something interesting with it biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Ok so i now understand.....um not much of what is going on!!!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
**bows to mo-seph**

the isolating workshop master smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
aaahhhhhhh

now i remember

havent tried it in reverse though ubbidea

thanks guys

biggrin

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ok dude

rough plan, can you do?

10th June - 13th June fly in friday night, fly out monday eve.........

tiz cheap at the mo ubbrollsmile

Thats Flying to Dublin - recommendations / comments would be sweeeeeet smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
sounds like a plan.

im having trouble trying due to very sore hands so i'll send you on a nice big pm tomorow smile

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
strugz, june or july is good. i've a couple of things on for 1 or 2 weekends during both months, but it's all spinning related so you're more than welcome

just go for the cheapest flight. if you head for cork, we'll all follow suit i'm sure, and ditto if you decide on dublin

oh, and ado-p told me that's it's about time i started talking staff so....

been practising those split-time doubles parallel things that strugz hug taught me, the ones where you wrap your wrists and spin back in the opposite direction. it's perfect for going into weaves, flowers and iso's

all manner of iso's also coming along nicely (mo-seph you're a gem hug)

don't have a big stick so haven't been able to try out any of the contact or other single stick stuff....

right, that's about all i can blag my way through for now biggrin

L peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
GO faberge ubbrollsmile

Sounds good to me - i just wasnt sure how much you guys travel aboot over there and id like to see you all but know that will be difficult in such a short space of time unless there is some kind of........

dare i say it.................

organisation eek

wink

Ado-p what have you done to your fingers - you havnt been overdoing it in the garden again have you rolleyes

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

organisation eek

You take that back!! ubblol

I have a wee nerve type problem in my neck. sitting at a desk and typing makes it go a little crazy.

one more reason to get out of here....

hug's for faberge

its lovely to see your finally embracing the darkside in all its glory

we'll have to make sure to corrupt you good and proper before you go to uber poi wink

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
organisation is fine

just don't try PLAN anything. the a.r.s.e usually falls out of any and every plan i try to make

yeh, that weekend sounds good i'm sure. i'll still be celebrating my birthday biggrin

my apartment is up for sale at the mo, but i doubt if it'll sell that quick, so if it's dublin you're heading to it's 99% likely that there's room to stay at mine (otherwise i'll be homeless and we can all head to ado's wink)

gotta dash or i'll miss me bus....

let us know when/what you've decided....

staffers from over the water coming to visit biggrin splendid!!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Can i come over too? We could have a mini uber staff?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yay!!! bounce2

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Yay indeed - Let the staffers invade Ireland!!

more people more people!

biggrin ubbrollsmile biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Absolutley, bring all yer friends smile

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
a mini Ãœberstaff reunion !!

yay!! bounce

or an Ãœberstaff decompression weekend....

tomatoe tomato ubbrollsmile

whatever....

yes! bring all of your friends... family..... strangers in the street bounce

honestly, the more the merrier. i may not be able to sleep everyone at mine but we'll sort something out....

ok, before i go any further.... some staffspeak....

gotta keep it up now or i'll never be fluent

had an amazing practise session last nite. managed to figure out horizontal doubles corkscrew thingies with extra beats or twists that require that you twist & carry the staff for the extra beat with your thumb.

i'm finding this all rather hilarious considering i never did steve’s thumb workshop ubblol

reckon i'll be able to throw in some double palm spins soon too biggrin

as soon as i learn how to do a palm spin ubbrollsmile

L peace

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
really REALLY wants to come to ÃœberIre but can't frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
tiz sad news Dunc - but you a bloody poier anyway tongue

staffer wannabe!

ubbloco ubbrollsmile ubbloco

wink

***on topic for a sec***

leanrt new move last night - elbow wrist wrist elbow, push up into between neck and shoulder - from here you can pivot the same speed as the stick is turning, effectively the stick isnt spinning you are, when you stop it goes into a halo roll then back into elbow wrist wrist elbow smile

**back to planning irish invasion**

or should i start another thread wink

Page: ...