Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it should be quite easy with doubles... it'll just be the passing the spare stick between hands in the elbow wrappng move that will be hard.

That or doing two continously will be hard.

Even harder will be doing two in butterfly. One antispin one not.

Maybe some cunningness with one horizontal, one vertical? Parralels... hmm anyway.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*falls over*

biggrin

Love is the law.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
for the neck wrap to halo thing -

i think i understand what your trying to do - to get a full s-n-s-halo cycle you will rotate your body 360 to get the staff back to the original hand. if the halo falls off your back - spin faster so it rolls over your shoulder like it should.

as you practice more, youll start to get the hang of continous shshs cycles [shoulder-neck-shoulder-halo-shoulder-neck-shoulder-halo-shoulder etc] where you need to turn almost 360 degrees to keep it going.

also, go to the thread i wrote summarising the contact links - theres a few threads there that could help - i think ben-ja-men started a topic about it.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nice one dentrassi

Your thread is a gold mine and always of much help.

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hmmm, tried Vertical Neck Wrap turning 180 into halo again last night, still think i must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Tried Halo to SNES last night with limited sucess. i.e. it worked once. smile

Also tried turning 360 during a halo (not ducking head). I've know idea whats going on here but the staff seems to know where its going. i'm gonna have to reverse engineer to figure out whats happening so i can correct the planes coz there isnt any.

Anyway, my mind is full of different things. I'm looking forward to a weekend of spinning and cleaning up the things i've learned.

have a good one everybody.

thanks again for all the help.

COME TO IRELAND!!!!!!!!
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1099666474)

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
COME TO EDINBURGH!

biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
COME TO SYDNEY!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
EDINBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ubblove

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
*rolls eyes* so childish i mean really everyone knows that london is where its at up until the the 1st of dec smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
gaylord!

wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

daily news:

Bent my new staff but not before i learned loads, all posted above.

Made a new staff (Bastano 2.0) with dowel all the way through. Its heavy and i did the grip a bit different. Its helped me to learn this!!!!

Written by: ado-p

hmmm, tried Vertical Neck Wrap turning 180 into halo again last night, still think i must be doing something wrong somewhere.

So yay and thanks for all the advice.

In the end i found that i was turning more than 180 and the timing was off. The net effect was that my back was in the way of my staff and it wasnt getting to roll. It rolls now.

Also got this thing from a heli in the horizontal plane. Staff turn towards leading arm (i.e. that staff that takes the staff). I let the staff roll arounf my hand onto the back and then extended my arm out. While doing this i trun my whole body in the same direction. It cancels the spin so that the staff is turning parrallell to my body. When i stop and sweet my hand back it it starts to spin slowly again. Its real easy and feels nice.

Theres probably loads that can be connected to this?

Steves seem harder with the heavy stick. Or maybe I was just doing them badly with a lighter one smile

laters

edit/

also been practising isolating the center of the staff. Holding it off center and doing forward and reverse figure of eight varations. Two handed rotors also but i have to leave go with one hand each rotation.

This excercise is something simple i've been doing to help.

Standing with my legs shoulder width apart and bent a little at my knees. I've been trying to do two handed three beat weave looking rotations while keeping the center point of the staff in line with the center of my chest and using my waist to turn my body. This way the arms only have to make the circles because my shoulders are turing from the center of my body. With slow steps added in for changing sides and using different grips i find its working way more muscles than it would if i was doing it faster and thinking less.

Im thinking more about where my feet are and how my posture is, trying to stay centered seems to help with awarness. And breathing more is helping too. I keep holding my breath while trying contact.
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1100037285)

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Thought I'd add this as i posted it recently in another thread and its a move i like alot, many variations

Give staff a good spin and bring it from over your head to leaning forward and bringing the staff accross your back then up over your head and accross to the other hand hand again. I'm still learning this but i find that if the staff feels like its slipping I can just close my fingers over it and give it another spin to straighten it up.

Thats the easy bit.

I prefer to do it all as one continious palm spin. Sweet

Its looks great and is real smooth all done in one go.

I tend not to bend over when doing these moves, rather i put a leg back and lean forward on my other leg. Trying to get a straight line from my heel to my neck. To keep the staff in one plane i dont bring it as near to my back as i would if i just leaned over.
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1100268348)

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
howdy do

had a wonderful weekend celebrating me birthday.

you can imagine this involved alot of spinning.

I learned this

it can be done in either direction, its just easier to explain like this

staff in right hand and enter vertical under left armpit

shoulder roll

roll across collar bone (the women folk were right, you dont need boobies)

turning 180 shoulder roll

halo roll

This made me smile all all weekend.

also

Practising with the isolations has led me to few new snake type variations. especially ways to pass the staff behind the back.

Finally stared working on back spins too

I can get consistantly get one rotation if i enter it leaning forward. staff in right hand entering under left armpit in horizontal plane. it spins accross my back and comes nicely back out into my left arm again. Extra rotations are a different kettle of fishes and will require more thought and work.

its amazing, that after 10 months of spinning that i've not only just realised what learning what the centre of the stick can really do can accomplish... i've also pretty much just realised that i have armpits and elbows too. ubblol

Faberge started learing doubles on sunday. She's better than me already. grrrr
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1100523495)

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
biggrin

it's just like poi i tell you......

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
...only better.
biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Fish Tails!!!!

I met a guy that does stick and sticks

He knows what contact is and how to do it... even with his feet.

What a wonderfull development....

I can now fishtail....

I am a happy bunny.

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
get outta here you before you get your sorry ass fired spank

and i don't want you getting fired..... coz if you do you won't be able to afford the train fare to come and visit me so i can steal all your (his) moves ubbrollsmile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dentrassi

...only better.
biggrin

soooo true ubblove

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

get outta here you before you get your sorry ass fired spank

and i don't want you getting fired..... coz if you do you won't be able to afford the train fare to come and visit me so i can steal all your (his) moves ubbrollsmile

*dissappears into the night*

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:

*dissappears into the night*

at 2.30 in the afternoon?

weirdo rolleyes

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Been picking up the staff again, well ok my cane... and twirling again. My cane is about the same size as the glowstaff I'm getting soon, so It's being spun.

Since I do all my performance in my "costume" I've been practicing some new stuff in suit. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to do "behind the back" spin when you've got a TAIL? ubbloco *snickers* But I got the under the leg pass down in a few minutes. I just needed to see if first. And use a smaller twirling device...

now if I can just learn how to do a contact roll along the upper arms or behind the neck... That'll be a fun one. That and learning a more "poi" technique, but short staff is SO much easier than my normal one... ubbrollsmile

Socks the fuzzball

(PS : For Dentrassi and your sig... Schrodinger's cat had 18 half lives...)

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

Fish Tails!!!!

I met a guy that does stick and sticks

He knows what contact is and how to do it... even with his feet.

What a wonderfull development....

I can now fishtail....

I am a happy bunny.

ooooo another foot staffer what did he do with feet where abouts can one find him is he on hop etc etc

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ooooo another foot staffer what did he do with feet where abouts can one find him is he on hop etc etc

hee hee, figured that would get your attention..

helicopter kick ups and a lovely turn round the back of the leg in helicopter plane are what i've seen so far... im sure there is more though.

Circus school again next week, ill keep ya'll posted

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
circus school?

Lucky %^&%"$£!

hug

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Ok, why is it that i cant find anyone in the US that is doing any contact staff stuff? I would LOOOOOOVE to get overseas to practice with you guys, but dont have the dinero to get there. Would love to get to Ireland or London to practice with Blue, Ben, MCP or any of you lovely contact staffy folks. If i pack myself in a trunk and send myself over there, will you guys pick me up and help me out?!?! hug
Much love to all my overseas contact staff mates that spur me on to learn new moves on my own, tho i know yall are with me in spirit! But at least im getting to move all over the US to meet other phire phreaks and attend all sorts of burn events! Going to NYC BM decom this weekend....YAY!!!

Mayhem

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
NYC says:
look out for Poi with 'NYC' at 4 o'clock and he'll be spinning a fire spinny plate at 5
but he is not wise in the ways of the stick
yet
and he's facing great pasta related decisions just now so can't tell you all this himself wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Your very welcome Mayhem.

If you ever do happen to swing by, I'd be more than happy to offer you a couch and the optional use of a stick.

If you hurry you might be in time for dinner at NYC's place though.

smile

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
"a lovely turn round the back of the leg in helicopter plane "

can u be a bit more specific as to where the staff starts and finishes and teh path it travels inbetween

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'll try

its little and quick but looks nice and has a bit of flow.

if your moveing the stick in a circle down around your legs to say the middle if your shin..

as the staff comes around from behind it passes the first leg.

touch the staff of off the opposite leg and as it travels around lift that leg ankle first around the back of the other one. The staff should be carried around on your calf readt to spin out onto your already sideways foot.

if you were deft enough with your foots maybe you could flick the stick in the upwards direction.

hope that makes sense.

is there a name for it even? the feet threads have forever been a mystery to me.

ps

the avice you posted on fishtails has proved invaluable. mcp tried to explain hand rolls to me ages back in this thread but at the time i just couldn't get it. It wasn't until i started to try turns with fishtails that i got the feel of the staff rolling on the back if my hand.

both are coming along now

cheers to both of you's

Love is the law.

Page: ...