Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
wrong direction halo roll?...sorry didnt read that right 1st time, neck wrap tpye things?
EDITED_BY: Lavatwlight (1106942932)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'd be happy with a nice way into it...

please explain

smile

are you wrapping the elbow and then lifting the staffl upwards?

try placing the staff on the back of your neck and then take it off with the other hand onto wrist... i think i might have done it at trinity

its the lift off i keep getting stuck on too

damn second halfs of things

this wireless broadband is the bomb

i can bring my laptop outside and read staff stuff!!

smile

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah i got an idea, duck your head and let the staff slip down your arm like a steve, and wrap your neck????? maybe.

damn not having my staff with me so i cant see what would work

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Well you know when you do it vertically you have a triangle shapre with you body,forearm and arm with your hand in the centre of your chest well its the exact same only your hand is almost on the back of your neck.looks nice though.

lavatwilight do you mean let it wrap my throat? cause its coming towards your head.. that might work.will hurt finding out but hey thats all part of the job

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i like that dec

out to play

smile

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
it looks funky!!! Im off to bed.talk to y'all on monday

I willl have great fun and ado-p I swear by monday morning you wont be able to lift your hands.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
yeah i mean letting it wrap your throat, but make sure that, one end of the staff comes on to the shoulder first and then wraps from there if its possible

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
might work lava

elbow might be in the way though

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Yeah was thinking about that but wasant sure if i could do it. thanks a million.

ok all i am off for the weekend. I will come back revitalised and kicking on monday at some stage. hope ya'll have a good weekend bye

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
DEC, YOUR VID IS CLASS!!!!

can i put it up in my hop gallery?

can i?

can i?

the horixontal eblow wrist is tasty!!!

smile

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
if you want it i can host it, pm me if you want. elbow wrist, sounds like something i should learn

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
its an ok vid but im really shy. redface

Wait til you see the whole thing.
I dont think anyone will want to see that man

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
no worries

dont forget your camera

wink

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
how'd the weekend go people?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
crazy

my arm hurts like hell with repetitive strain so i've been playing around with moves that i can do that help me keep my arm moving with out rotating it.

loads of stalls and silly stuff. starting with the staff across the back of both hands and just seing how many different ways i can move the staff around, over my head and behind me, crossing my hands and keeping the staff in the same place. some nice isolations in there

feartine is doing some lovely stuff that i cant explain. horizontal fishtail confused . some random baton twirler showed us something that looked like shoulder fishtails eek

cleaned up some contact with a technique used for swimming the butterfly. its handy when your practising with a swimmer thats studied bio mechanics smile

been playing around with bens drop to foot stall and catch again. got a full rotation and back into double hand stall and a full rotation and off the foot into spin. thanks for these ben. im hooked on my feet for a while i reckon.

my 360 fishtail is not a 360 fishtail. its a 180 and then some wobbling but i did get a fairly consistant reverse fishtail on my right arm. planes were the key.

just started tonight on back spins. bit of shoulder shimmying going on but alot of work to do.

if a full steve is one at the back and then one at the front. then whats a steve with an extra rotation at the back? i stood stunned as i watched feartine do the latter with something resembling ease smile hug

lots of thinking about foot work and turns too. placing feet and stuff.

oh and i've been told i spin like a ballerina.

ubblol

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ooo am loving horizontal fishtails at the mo biggrin nice one feartine.
spent today working on tai chi moves with duobles, and trying to get double fishtails down, or up or what ever,m but its not working.
oh also worked out and can do a jesus now.

I NEED PEOPLE TO STAFF WITH MORE OFTEN once every 2 weeks just aint enough

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
thats about what i get meself.

i cant figure out how to get from a halo roll into a neck roll smoothly. i can get it into the crook of my elbow and carry it around on the back of my hand but it seems to have lost all of it spin by the time it gets to my neck.

any suggestions?

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
use your ballerina powers! This will help in your spinning.

Glad to see your having fun back in ire-land.

Got a good ten foot precision going on. And when I say ten foot, I mean ten of my feet.

Had a laugh straining my wrist with prayer fishtails. They are very contact juggly. hmmmmmm juggly. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
prayer fishtails u say is this to your side or in front and how prayer like are they ie fingers facing jebus?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No, I always face mecca while doing them, so I isolate my hands and move my body. wink

They are just fishtails, with your other hand superglued in prayer to the hand that doing the fishtail. Just think that you've squished your chi ball. I'm hoping the transfer to the other hand is going to be uber sweet. I can only just practise it tonight with my wrist.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
larger curvy area to roll on makes em ugly? or are you doing some big movements to keep the point of contact the same?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Missed my train this morning coming back to dublin at 7 tis morning. I had to wait an hour for the next one so i whipped out my staff and played in the station for an hour.

Its so much easier to do and learn stuff when you practise with someone else.also useful when your body would do something or get into something and you would do a move but you've know idea how and they can tell you what you did.its great. At one stage I get into a BTB weave with niether of us knowing how on earth i did it.

Ok I think i know whats going on with that fishtail but obviously cant do it as i suck but MCP or ben think this is up your street. The fishtail is moving around your throat from one side to the other and you are using your shoulders as points of contact. we were told the start of it is hold in a pinch on your left side then kinda roll the staff across your neck and keep it going.
Was a very random twirler but the hips on the girl eek

Ado_p stalls are pretty cool. I reckon I should break is other arm and just see what he comes up with on his feet!!

I didnt say you spin like a ballerina. I said your as graceful as one in the squarish type of way

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Feartine

I didnt say you spin like a ballerina.

no, but i did wink

tongue

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
thats fair enough. It is elegant but I wouldnt put on a tutu just yet

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I'm sure with your gay sensiblities ben, that you could make them look nice... biggrin

Feartine, do you mean like shoulder carries? But turning back the other way for one beat I guess... Hmmmm. Oh well, I can't practise them indoors.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the tutu or the throat fishtails tongue

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
MCP to be honest when i think back to the girl showing us her move, my brain jumps between her hips and the staff so i was kinda going into overlaod so I have had to sort out the clips in my head so this is what I remember.

She started the staff on her left side holding it between her shoulder and her neck with the centre of the staff just in front of her neck(assuming far enough so that the centre goes over the centre off her throat. Then she tilts her head back, how much im not sure but she pushed her chest out a bit(bit blurry here dont know why biggrin). Then you push the end of the staff thats behind you up and towards the centre while the other end of the staff is coming over your shoulder. its a horz fishatil. Nice move to watch and far far far beyond my abilities

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

*non sensicial description of shoulder fishtail*

and my god did she have hips.

smile
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1107183579)

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
wheres the fricken video footage!!!! damnit next time stop drooling and video!!!! you can drool to the video later tongue

your text description makes zero sense need more words there stop focusing on her hips and try to recall the stick tongue

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
dont think your suppose to trap it on the other side though. In theory you should be able to just bounce it back.
I've been trying to do the movement without the staff and you do the same thing with your shoulders she was doing with her hips.

So we were looking at the right part!!! No guilt required(not that i had any) ubblol

Page: ......