Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
throw n catch same hand

same direction, oops i mean opp directions tongue

like spinning in strugz avitar but with an extra half spin

im only throwing one at a time though, havent gotten that far
EDITED_BY: PyroMonkey (1118755833)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
but strugz is going in opposite directions confused

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
mmm... doubles ubblove

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
yeah.... im going opposite directions, sorry im not the best at describing things

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
dont worry

im pretty crap at understanding them smile

hug

Love is the law.

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
ahh just saw where i went wrong....
edit time!!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

but strugz is going in opposite directions confused

its a problem im trying to deal with............. one day my brain will head in one direction only rolleyes

wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've got a lovely bunch of callouses! Bum ba bum ba, here they are a sitting on my hand... bum bum bum, big ones, small ones, some as big as you head!

Oh wrong thread, sorry.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i just did the first half of the matrix woooooooo! bounce
i needed to say that cos no one near me would have a clue what it is or how hard it is

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Nice one max, now for the hardest part, which isnt the second half, its the mixing them togeater.

I can anti spin "as nate calles it" matrix, but still cant nail full normal one frown

my fave variant is steve down left arm, matrix, spin on stomack and lean some more to try and get it back to the neck biggrin

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i still mess it up most of the time but can do it 1 or 2 out of 10 times and the second part is easier i recon. i just lose it on my back in the first part. any advice on it not just flying off my back or just more practice

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
just practice,
my mess up is always getting from the first part to the second part, and your right the second part is easyer biggrin

max sounds like you are learning damned fast!

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
cool i'll practice some more (just been spinning in th rain)
yeah i've got quite far recently mainly from megs site and the fact that i had done lot's of staff before it was just that was only like 3 moves. so i already had a feel for it i just had to get my eye back in or in this case arm neck back and variouse other body parts although the other day it was the eye (ouch)

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
woot
i just did the whole matrix it was done very badly but done never the less. now can i do it again
bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 meditate bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok, people learn wayyyyy to quickly these days !

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i only managed after continuously practicing that one move for an hour today and i didn't do it that well

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
still people learn tooo fast, slow down and dance :P

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
don't worry i still won't be as good as anyone on here for quite a while. also meditating helps me spin (seriously try it)
meditate
now i'm of to dance

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah, but moving mediattion is dance, is stick is what you want :P biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Whooohoooo

Time to resurect this dusty old thing.

Stalls and lots more stall type things.

From the -fairly- standard staff stall where you have the staff horizontally accross the backs of both your hands and you lift one hand accross your body so your fingers are now pointing in.. and the staff is still balanced on the back of your hand.

I got these with a 180 turn now. 3 beat fishtail stylee. So your hand and the stick actually make a 360 in the wall plane. with the top half of the circle on the starting side and the bottom half on the finishing side of the 180 turn.

They also work very well with elbow traps. Say from a halo into an elbow trap... once its trap with can change the plane ane manoover the stick out into a stall... from trap you can flick the stick in the horizontal across your chest/belly into a elbow trap on the other side and do another stall. Mixed up with turns and posing this all looks lovely.

Also from the stall. Do a normal stall as described above. But turn a little to the side then cross the other hand behind your back and around the front to balance the other end of the staff. It doesnt really do anything but is nice ans posey too smile plenty of varations here.

And my fave. Stall the flick/swing the staff out and up so its making a circle on the horizontal plane. You have to lean right out becasue the long end of the stick has to pass around the inside... Do a kind of devilsticky thing with your arm here and then your into a steve... biggrin a fast, scary steve....

Any of that make sense? If not tell me... It might make me get off my ass long enought o make a video wink

Love is the law.

Page: ...