Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
addict

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
biggrin

right, i'm off to finish the picture i'm drawing on the table cloth ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Give me back my pencil!!!

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
The reason you sleep is to let your brain just soak it up. Im back on top of it again but dont ask me to leave my stick down for an entire day.

Glad you guys had fun but wish I could have gone with you.you better have some nice moves when you get back. WHats Beltane?

Was looking at the falmouth site.looks kinda cool.

Grow old but never grow up

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
hey Lavatwlight, just out of curiousity when your walking down the road with your staff do you tend to play with it? biggrin

Was doing it in town this weekend &realised there are two types of looks you get when you've a staff in your hand.
1)they see the staff, eyes move up the staff,up the arm look at your face then back down to the staff and almost walk into a pole as they pass

2)my fav.when your walking down the street doing finger spins or whatever(its moving). The person spots you about 15-20 metres away. As soon as the person walking towards thinks he/she is in eye contact range they drop there head and stare intently at the ground and walk past you looking at your shoes making sure you go past.

Its hiliarious but has this happened to you or do I just look like a phsyco bounce2

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
yup i do, bad habbit....according to my non spinning friends, and some of the looks you get are great i must admit, and yeah look no. 2 is good (may also cuz i look a lil psycho) biggrin

on another note...grrrrr i seam to have lost the ability to do anything with my staff, even finger spins seam worng frown

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Well im not the sanest looking person in the world but thats beside the point biggrin

Its amazing how suddenly you just cant do anything, not even the simple stuff. I reckon its your head trying to mess with your body.
That other 2/3 of your brain that you dont use is actually working secretly to mess with your body ubbloco

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you should see the looks i was getting walkin around edinburgh with NINE!! STAFFS!! on one arm.

I even did an elbow roll

biggrin

Love is the law.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
9 staffs, and i thought 5 was gonna be viewed as obsessive :P
doesnt make me feel so bad that i wanna make a new one now biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
They probably just think your a chimney sweep especially if it was after spinning. You remember temple bar? you looked like dike van dyke out of mary poppins!

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I saw a funky move the other day done by a baton twirler.Its called a elbow cut in there langauge but it likes like a single elbow fishtail. I have been trying it but cant seem to get it is there anyone who can explain the actual movement?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
see mcps site, and layouts, i think that is prob the closest i know to that

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
elbow fishtails are a whole new degree of difficulty. Think forwards fishtails, but faster, harder, closer to your head and with nothing to lock against. Hmmmm.

Stupid baton twirlers. wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
arrrggghhh shounds hard.

oooo guess what.........i got the matrix today, all be it once but still, oh and some funky new fishtail ideas.

oh and i have another thing....are foward fish tails harder? cuz i didnt think they were (personally that is) *shrugs*

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
forward fishtails are harder as its much much harder to get two points to lock the stick with so u can control it more

what are ur funky new fishtail ideas?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
moving it down my arms, throws and catches to opposite sides of the body, and trying to put them in to other contact stuff. so they're not really new, but they are for me, oh also trying the foot fish tail, but thats really hard.

Got any ideas of other things to do with em?

(fishtails that is)

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Ok I get elbow fishtails are difficult, i have been trying them but when you do them do you turn your body and if so how much 90,180 degrees. when your bringing your elbow back do you scoop down.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
dec,

pm me your address and i'll send you on a copy of the 2004 Work Baton Championships.

Some savage twirly contact stuff in there.

Or if im still in cork this weekend i'll just give it to you when you come down.

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
lavatwlight im playing with moveing my other arm around the fishtail at the moment it adds a whole other dimension and breaks ur brain a little bit ill add a video in my shadow contact dance thread in a few days when i get it a little more fluid

feartine, you can do closed elbow fishtails with your feet stationary and twisting your torso, the important factor is that your elbow is 180 degrees from where you started (maintaining the move without cheating like the baton twirlers do [they use their hands to guide it] is really really hard as you dont have two points of contact like when you do it with your hands). open elbow fishtails are alot like fishtails on your hand the trick is finding the point when your arm is bent enought to give you two points of contact but not to bent to become a lock

ado-p if your going to keep watching baton videos ur going to have to start wearing tights and talking the lingo tongue

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ok ben, i will sit here in wate for that, so what your sayng is like weaving a ball through the fish tail or somethign along those lines (i have some friends with some areotech balls, and i have me staff) so that could be quite intersting.

ok a very random question, you dont know a Sally Mann (think thats how its spelt, she is/was circus antics and said she knew some one called ben who was good at contact) do you?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Ok it makes sense and I mentally can do it lets keep trying til the body can. Thanks ben-ja-men.
Must admit the spinners lingo is a lot nicer than baton

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yeah pretty much .....

i dont think so but i did meet loads of ppl when i was in the uk ....

practise your fish slowly itll give u more scope to play with your other hand

the new rhd video has got me all inspired with new moves (after i spent a week of being inspired at rainbow serpant festival) so im in overload with new ideas to play with at the moment.

*edit* feartine a bit of a tip that psi gave me was to exagerate the movement so as to throw the stick a little as it changes sides and give it less and less throw until it doesnt leave your arm this will help keep maintain the sticks momentum. ps its stupidly hard and a good way to get into it is the second half of a elbow wrist wrist elbow combo
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1106744841)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
crazy

must have a play wit me eblows when i go home

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Can do the second half of the wrist elbow combo farily smoothly and a fairly bouncy layout so i can get my arm out. I think i just wasnt going back fair enough with my elbow.

When you say give it a little throw is that from your hand in sort of a monkey throw over your elbow so that it comes round for an elbow wrist combo?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Your not wearing the right pants dec

ask the baton twirlers when you meet them nex week...

get something spangly, and smile more, it'l make all the difference

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
throwing as it rolls over your elbow as in your lifting your elbow up no monkeyness involved. its really important to get your elbow the full 180 degrees otherwise its impossible (from my experiences anyway) that extra little bit of movement makes a world of difference

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
My pants sparkle, well when i saw sparkle I mean there is some reflective stuff on the back of them.

But if I smiled then I would lose that lovely concentration face i have that looks like im constipated.why would I wont to lose that!!!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
true

its one of the thign si find most attractive about you...

are you coming down friday or saturday?

bring your sticks...

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ado-p and feartine i think u guys need to do a video of all the moves you can do

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
moves?

dont be silly ben, im crap...

some day though...

mcp told me last friday that we're not allowed to put anything up on the net thats not perfect...

*shrug*

Love is the law.

Page: ......