Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
im way better than meg meg is rubbbish biggrin hug @ meg

can u add things like right leg staff spinning counter clockwise when u say moving the stick down ur leg is that with ur hand/controlling a roll?

"touch the staff of off the opposite leg and as it travels around lift that leg ankle first around the back of the other one" was a bit unclear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
at least I'm not a gay model stripper poet!

biggrin wink hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
my bad,

moving the staff around your body in a clockwise circle heli plane moving the staff with your hands. lift leg and place the stick onto the calf as it comes up behind right leg

forgive my lack of descriptive power, i dont have your poetic or.. err... gay skills wink

Love is the law.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mayhem

Would love to get to Ireland or London to practice with Blue, Ben, MCP or any of you lovely contact staffy folks.

unfortunately if you only went to ireland and london youd only get 'any of you lovely contact staff folks'

me and meg are in scotland... and ben is back in oz.

wink

still.

some of the best contact staffers in london(tho we are stealing the approving ninja in a couple of months)

much smilery, and good luck to ya learning in a void.....

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
runs in like a lunatic

i did doubles on fire! i did doubles on fire! woohooo......

yay doubles! yay me! bounce

runs off into the distance waving arms & sticks about

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

hug

nutter

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
righto

its Friday evening and im in work therefore i now have time to type this

new and improved

fishtails: getting better daily. reverse completely eludes me still though. so many peeps saying this one is easier but i cannot for the life of me get more than half a one. half is enough for turning which is nice. but i'd like to be able to turn in both directions with both arms one day.

half steves: consistent (enough) from left to right. but not the other way. i wish i had two right arms.

shoulder-chest-shoulder-halo.

halo-shoulder-neck-shoulder-halo

planes are not good though stepping properly helps no end.

-------------------------------------------------------

static stuff. playing with loads and loads

simple one that i really like:

staff on hand in wheel plane (back or front) walk into the stick so it rolls but doesnt travel. get it to your neck swivel yer body 180 and walk backwards with the stick rolling in place as above.

-------------------------------------------------------

doubles - short not too light 100cm ali sticks with dowel plugged ends. 100mm wick.

now, i dont know doubles speak. i only know double speak. so im only going to say this once.

been playing with two stick for about two months now. not really stuck on anything as there is two much to learn before i figure out what im doing wrong.

so some tricks. did someone mention a doubles moves thread.. i'd like that. naming this stuff would help i reckon.

Forward/Reverse Fig 8's Same Time. Both Direction. Butterfly?

Fig 8's Split Time.

Same Direction Same Time

Same Direction Split Time. add spins as required.

Double Spins. Both Directions.

Triple Spins. Still cant get Clockwise front to back with my left arm. Even watching Simians vid I cant figure it out. Help!!!!

Waist Wraps. Both sides. One or two beats. Badly but much better in same direction with double spin on non wrapping arm spinning front to back in reverse.

Foward Fig 8's in wheel plane. When left hand has stick on right side of body. Right hand is doing a reverse under arm double spin to move the staff back and around the left side of the body in a waist wrap like move. Make sense? Didnt think so but its the only way i can explain it. Varying the height of the arms facilitates nice flower like movements.

A few badly done throws.

Passing throws RHD style. Been practising. We can just about manage half decent behind the back/head throws. Corkscrew throws work nicely high/low.

Well my day is over so i'll have to finish this later..... take care peoples....

video of all the above in january when get off my slack ass and film it.

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I made a video with reverse fishtails in!

Is that the static steve you're talking about?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i dont think so because the staff stops and the rolls back in the other direction.

or maybe it is, havent checked that clip in a while. surley tis some kind of fangled variation if not.

who do i have to sleep with to see your clip? will there be topless scenes like ben's?

Love is the law.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

i dont know doubles speak. i only know double speak.

ubblol well thats all that gets talked about doubles in general, it's true.
moves are better shown than explained, but ain't that always the truth?

Low Reverse Triplespin (in left hand)
yes, that one is really really hard. For reference, see footage of me messing it up in a really ugly way on UCOF's missinginacton video. ick...

advice - as you twist your arm up front of you, turn your body to the right.
Try it. No, that was wrong, you have to do it earlier than that! wink Really, you have to do it pretty early.
You should end up with your arm screwed up, your hand in the small of your back.
Now you turn your body round to the left and start untwisting your arm as it passes the plane of the body.
If you're finding it too twisty then maybe your gripping too tightly. i grip the staff between thumb and forefinger, and it can waggle about a bit. There's almost a full extra 180 of spin to be gained from just turning the staff in your grip by moving your thumb.
If you're still having problems, don't worry too much. It's not been useful to me in spinning 'prettily', and i learnt it out of geeky compulsion rather than thinking "hey, that would look good!".

About the general doubles stuff:

er, i started a [Old link], then stopped when i realised i didn't really understand how moves fit together, so i couldn't really explain it. Those pesky mythical "transitions". The patterns are fine on their own, but start trying to explain how they link together and ...
confused2
its got some basic terminology on it for ways to spin a stick, and how to describe the relative motions of sticks.
and some rambling. Alway with the rambling!

Anyway, sounds like you've learnt lots very fast. That is good.
Turn lots. Turning is good.
Also good is learning how to cross arms over and back in wheel plane with opposite directions and same directions. Opposite is easier.

For me, all figure eights with doubles have always seemed more good, much easier and more natural with constant low doublespins.
(aka shotguns aka "an extra 180 of spin in a fig 8 under the arm")
With just figure eights it feels more awkward.
Sound like you're finding the same, yes?

Something you should know: High doublespin with one hand, and a 2 beat btb-waistwrap with the other, is a classic doublesy combo. It could be described to feel like this: POW!

also, halfbeat thingies - where one end makes a circle in front of you and the other makes a circle behind. Those are good, especially when mixed with figure eights.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
cripes... i didn't know i'd written that much eek

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Low Reverse Triplespin (in left hand)

yes, that one is really really hard. For reference, see footage of me messing it up in a really ugly way on UCOF's missinginacton video. ick...

Cool thanks for the advice. I notice you can do the other ones with minimal contortion too. Did you get this just from practise of doing a bit of stretching n such? I still find the low forward triple spin in right hand a might stretch.

Your right though. I can see anythng usefull happening with these for now. I can get one into a turn every now and then but its usually becaue i've done to many beats by accident and need a 'get out' move.

Written by:

i started a doubles thread, they link together and ...

I shall peruse your doubles thread this week and see what i can pick up. Been workin hard at transitions but am finding direction changes a real pesky pain. Only have one so far. Going for forward fig8s into an opposite direction buzzsaw and the reversing the forward one so it comes back in same time with the opposite stick. Would like to hear some more of these if anyone can help.

Written by:

Turn lots. Turning is good.

Also good is learning how to cross arms over and back in wheel plane with opposite directions and same directions. Opposite is easier.

Turns i love very much. Cross overs im finding a bit troubles some. So far i can only get them in opposite directions (but i can do forward/reverse over/under on both sides) and at that im finding is that the arm that goes from a forward fig to a reverse on the opposite side is a bit slow coming back. I think i just need to stretch out muscle though. Like learning a reverse fig8 int he first place. Same time crossovers i cant do but i havent really devoted much time to figuring them out yet.

Written by:

For me, all figure eights with doubles have always seemed more good, much easier and more natural with constant low doublespins.

Sound like you're finding the same, yes?

absolutley.

Written by:

Something you should know: High doublespin with one hand, and a 2 beat btb-waistwrap with the other, is a classic doublesy combo. It could be described to feel like this: POW!

also, halfbeat thingies - where one end makes a circle in front of you and the other makes a circle behind. Those are good, especially when mixed with figure eights.

waistwraps, like some of the other moves above are sooo much fun. I love all the twisty body stuff and am workin hard to get them smooth and in plane.

any of you guys to any kind of stretches to make this type of spinning easier. I do a few myself but not enough. I was thinkin maybe a strethin thread is in order.

mcp. i found your fishtails vid. still cant do the reverse though. half of it yes but it only goes one direction. coming back the staff just fall back my forrearm towards my body. i must have the hands wrong. no rush though. it only took me six months to figure out what a fish tail was supposed to feel like. never mind actually pulling it off.

lots of double practise was had this weekend. learned some lovely butterfly stuff from faberge. lots of thread the needles and direction changes that i really dont understand,. The combo goes on for at least 30 seconds. sweeeett. explanation is hopeless though.
Written by:

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
biggrin

hug

(you didn't mention anything about the twins eek)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
was waiting for the photos

spank

beerchug

heres to the twins though. mine and yours. biggrin

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if explanations hopeless hows about a video?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
well tis faberges move

AND she's got a cam.

i would suggest directing some spanking in her direction.

she does it waaaayyyyyy better than me.

smile

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ah see now thats where your wrong because moves dont belong to anyone now do they thats just silly talk ubbloco

Fabergé spank

so when can i expect my video then

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'd be happy to let you fight her for it....

i reckon she'd have you ben. smile

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i never said it was mine redface

i only claim ownership of 2 shiney new 4ft staffs. they are mine because they were made by me and ado has photos to prove it tongue

yes i do have a camcorder but i have no way of getting any footage onto the internet/pc whatever coz i'm all silly when it comes to all that new-fangled high-tech compoootery malarky

i will need help ubbangel

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
damn hippies

your staffs are 3 foot sweety. as are mine. Four sticks and a pair of flags in one day.

we did good smile

I wanted to take them to bed last night and sleep with them under my pillow

2 feet of 4 inch wick on each end of two 3 foot sticks. Yummery.

we'll bring a cam to scotland and record everything

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
what sort of camera do u have? what opperating system is ur computer? most newish ones have a usb port and u can just plug and plug

why do u wait till im on the otherside of the world to tell me she has wonderful doubles moves thats just mean u know.

id fight her for the moves but u know what they say im a lover not a fighter i wouldnt want to damage my soft delicate hands, what would i use to write my poetry with or hold onto the pole which dancing?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
give her some lovin then. ubblol

your call

in lisa's defence. USB means about same as Flux Capacitor to her.

vids are promised in Jan.

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ok well allow me to help out here flux capacitor

a capacitor is alot like a bucket that can be filled with drops of water so as water builds up the level of water in the bucket rises then when it reachs the top it just flows over but the bucket can be emptied when u need to say throw on someone to wake them up

flux u can take to mean flow

so when a flux capacitor is charged up it is able to create a break in the singular time continum and open up a lot of cross roads to different continums

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
now faberge.

that should be enough info to help you on your way.

somewhere

ubblol

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
eek

lads, lads, please. you'll scare me away

i find the whole staff forum scary enough without being threatened with spankings, flux capacitors and michael jackson & paul mc cartney lyrics.....

Written by: ben-ja-men

what sort of camera do u have?

a silver one. it's got sony digi-8 written on the outside

what opperating system is ur computer?

i don't remember saying i had a computer.....

most newish ones have a usb port and u can just plug and plug

i'm sure they do...

ubblol

ubbloco

ben, i'm sure you've seen the move a thousand times. i'm very new to this game so i can assure you it's nothing fancy, but i can't explain it any better than ado-p so i'll do my best to get something on vid for you

redface 3ft???? no wonder they look tiny ubblol

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
go visit meg in ed shell get some footage for u shes a video making machine, ur digi 8 maybe a bit hard to get all digital and on a computer like. how can u survive without a computer? you poor darling hug i think the longest ive been without a computer contact is a week and that was only because i was in the blue mountains on a meditation/chanting retreat

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i work on a pc. that means i also get paid to post on hop, so you see it's not too bad. also survived years without a tv. a good stereo is about as hi-tech as i go.

decent sound system = happy days smile

well, i'm pleased to say i bonded with the twins last nite. was a little worried that i didn't take to them straight away when they were born on sunday. they felt odd. and heavier than the practise ones i'd been using, and the length was different too. but we've got that 'mother child' thing going on now at last. i'm very pleased :wiggleysmiley:

biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
excellent

now I can bring up the twins big brothers and we can play. 'Who can hold the most sticks' until our arms fall off. biggrin

circus school tonight. happy days.

last week i learned how to cartwheel over the stick and pick it up. i think this week im gonna try it one handed while holding the stick eek

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
try putting the staff over your foot then doing the cartwheel to fling it up

helpful hints
1. dont cartfwheel parallel to the stick cartwheel slightly away from the stick this will ensure that it gets kicked up rather than falling off

2. try beginning with approximately 2/3 of the staff in front of you

3. arms above your head to start with in good old duck and cover fashion

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cool ben, thanks for the advice. Love that foot idea. Fling? Where doth the stick get flinged too?

We've been looking at some other variations on this too.

Not to much detail here because variation is endless. Hope it makes sense

Make to do an low reverse double spin but instead of finishing it behind your back point the leading end between your legs and start to cartwheel on the free hand. Staff goes between legs. Looks sweet as.

Hold staff in hand over head heli plane. Make for a one handed cartwheel and bring the stick down in plane and palce it on the back of your hand thats on the ground. Staff comes up on back of hand. Contact styleeeee.

Trying out some tumbles and rolls too. Diving rolls are fun. I cant help feeling like that these just dont fit into a performance though. Cartwheels and Flips yes. But to me rolling around on the ground always seems like... well... rolling around on the ground. shrug

Love is the law.

Page: ...