Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Ado-p's Learning new moves thread...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
*edit*

so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...

*edit*

*where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, arm, arm elbow roll*

Its simple really, I cant do it.

I've seen some real nice clips of this move (Thankyou MCP/Glass) but I still seem to be missing somthing fundamental.

So I take the staff in my right hand, bring it accross my body under my extended left elbow and roll. extend left arm and let staff roll onto right arm. Bring staff back towards body on right arm

Now here is the problem, it just stops working there, I think i might be missing an extra beat/spin or something. Or it it could be the position of my wrist. Dont ask me what my wrist is doin, it goes all wonky in a natural reaction to the feeling of the staff falling off when i start bending my right arm on the way back in,

Any ideas?

If I can get this I'll move onto to trying to combine it with a shoulder rool and a turn to get it across my back and other shoulder.

I'm hoping to put up a clip soon, not of what i cant do but of what I can, after six months it's be cool to get some HOP feedback.

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Oh bugger!! eek

Grow old but never grow up

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

eek

Yeah how do you think I felt? I had to see the belly hair every time he tried it... rolleyes

Still it's a damn fine move.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

hug's for the girl with the hurty halo hoop.

it is not a stick molly smile

and there I was thinking it was just a stick trying to hug itself smile
silly molly

Mr Cat, you crazy

do you need illusion legs to illusion kick? Or just an illusion dog?
hug

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fear-Tine

Nice work lava, sounds like there going to be something to see in edinburgh.

Thank ya, i try me best (not that brill but still :P)
i just wanna see every one else play, cuz i havent seen any real life good contact done b4....*wates till saturday till he gets to meet nate*

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Heya Blue hug
Written by: bluecat

i learnt the mostest badassest move yesterday.

That sounds disturbingly American. (not that there's anything wrong with that ubbangel)
But eekman! Sounds like a very *good* move indeed!
Is the kick the kind where you make your whole body go in a vertical circle, bar the leg you are standing on? or is that something else?
:runs off to start strecthing for a couple months:

A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah it is...

Can I post what I've been working on? It's fun, and girly! biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
post away smile

ooo i learnt how to do halo turns yesterday from nate biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
ado-p for cripple you pulled of a sweet jesus the other night!!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Thanks to Ben-Ja-Men's evil influence, I've been working on fishtails, dual and single.

Reverse fishtails: Is there any limit to the different hand positions you can do them in? Apparently not. You can do them on the back of your wrist, on the back of your hand, on the back of your fingers, on the underside of your wrist, on your palm. With your hand in a fist or fingers all splayed out. You can do them on the side of your hand, (Thumb side.) Or you can do them on the side of your hand underneath the thumb on the side of the first finger. Hmmm.

Dual fishtails: The obvious ones. Plus I discovered recently it's possible to do 1 beat butterfly weaves. And well since fishtails are just one beat, it must be possible to do a fishtail weave. Haven't found a good entry to it though. But practising in my room prohibits a lot of the obvious entrys. (Like out of dual reverse fishtails)

Doing 1 beat parralel spins then doing reverse fishtails in one hand and trying to keep them parralel is fun.

I did try continous halo rolls out of reverse butterfly figure of eights, but I need an extra beat before the halo somehow. I think this is why bluecats martials work.

Managed same direction continous doubles neck wraps, which was nice. Might try them with little throws.

With much enthusiam, starting doing a lot of funny 1 beat doubles patterns, where the staff moves around almost in contact with your body while doing one beats. I think this is what knoxious refers to as: Australian Style Girly Doubles. (But it's actually more dangerous cos they keep the fire really close and do it with matchsticks) It's good fun. And there seems to be a load of different patterns to explore. It's like nunchucks, but better.

While practising isolations, I discovered some things: Isolations are fun and [censored]. Sometimes it looks like the staffs are circuling each other, but I think it's an illusion created by keeping the staffs on opposite sides. It probably also perfectly possible to make the staffs circle each other. Each direction can be done with 4 hand positions. (Kunckles up / palm up etc. ) So eight variations in total. I've completely forgotten to practise palm up/ palm up. Oh well. Also, one staff can do a 1 beat while the other does a total isolation. Also keeping the staffs apart is well hard to isolate but would probably help with mo-seph idea of your body going through the isolation. Also it's only possible to do translations with knuckle up / palm up. I'm not sure if that's strickly true but it's a hell of a lot easier.

That's about it. eek

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
im tha devil biggrin

maybe try 2 beat fishtails for your weave? i shall have to play with that tommorow. meeeeeeeg do a new video

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no the weave is definately one beat. Well it's just having the two staffs close together and them not hitting.

Two beat for an entry? Or a two beat weave?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
2 beat entry

are ur 1 beat butterfly weaves with fishtails?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
they're gonna be.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmm, see i still cant get bastard double fish! frown meg your gonna have to teach me some stuff in ed.....please!!!!!!
is this stuff gonna be up on your site?

ben you havent gone then????

oh any chance of a video of 2beat fish tails??????????

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
your reverse fishtails have to be totally solid.

I don't use the ben-ja-men looking at yourself technique, I use the bluecat looking at one stick then other other very quickly alternating technique. Soon I want to learn the looking forward through the move technique.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah that will be my problem, i suck at reverse, nate did show me how, so i am practicing, i should have em soon, does double foward tails work? cuz thats what im trying to get till i get reverse, seam to go paralell, which looks pretty, but every time i look at it, it messes up frown

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
meg u need to work on not looking at either and focusing on the whole movement then forgetting u are watching then closing your eyes, i got 5 beats with dual last friday with my eyes closed

feel the sticks grasshopper

lava yeah im hanging around waiting for my stupid experiment to finish le sigh

double forwards works but its stupidly hard, when u can do the move with one hand with your eyes closed thats when u have it solid enough to be able to get it with two imho

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
double fowards i get about 6beats out of(if im lucky and relaxed), and the body stuff for that is hard!!! but i do know where im going wrong with it, i just cant put it right....yet.
one had both sides with my eyes closed.....there goes my weekend.

whats your experment?

must get off HoP and do A level maths

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Finally tried dual fishtails with long doubles last night, surprisingly different to short ones. It's both easier and harder.

I'm not going to do it with my eyes closed till I can do a few more full beats. I'm on 4 or 5 right now, but it's too forced. I have to use my arms more and lock on my wrists less.

Bluecat was showing me weird fishtail crosses last night. Hmmmmmmmmmm. biggrin

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Fishtail cross explain please?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I can't. I don't understand the move, I just look at it and drool.

tongue

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
We need to get an A-Z encylcopedia of spinning footage. Can you explain what a cross is?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I kinda thought it was self explainitory. It involves doubles not being parralel...

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
d'oh sorry thought you were on about single staff. Now it makes sense and only one thought eek

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
crosses with singles would be eek confused ubbloco

The only thing they could cross really would be your arms. There might be something there, but it would be contradictory to name them crosses... Hmmm.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
mcp, what would you call long sticks?

ok this evening, got dual's goin well, not forced, and looked nice in the reflection biggrin(didnt last that long tho) both left and right hands can do eye's closed and go on and on and such like. managed to get 2 complete turns from a jesus biggrin biggrin thats about it for me
still cant get damn reverse fishtails frown

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you crazy kids

cant wait for ed uberstaff

my fishtails still suck

i got the jesus though bounce2

hug's for fear-tine

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
long is 1.5 metres (five foot) or over.

Short is less than 1.5 metres.

matchsticks are 1 metre or less. (ickle)

This is not an opinion a relative judgement or a subjective view, IT IS THE TRUTH!

ubbrollsmile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
its true ya know

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah so i only use short and match sticks then :P

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Page: ......