Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
I tried doing a search on this & came up with nothing. I saw a belly dancing video once where this girl had a special cup in each hand that had a fire in it. Does anyone know where I could buy these or how to make them? All I know is that somehow a kevlar wick is attatched inside & the cup doesn't get hot, at least I think. Any help would be appreciated.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Have a look under fire bowls rather than cups smile

Also, if you use a vessel that can contain the fuel and a fuel with low volatility, you can just light it up and use it that way. Careful not to spill! Alternatively, you can find some nice pewter bowls (or the like) and solder/weld on a wick wrapped in kevlar.

Time to get creative!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
308 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the hint, I'll see what i can come up with.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Check out the palm torches on www.bearclawmfg.com I think that's what your after.

Bowls of free fuel on fire being manipulated is asking for trouble. The palm torches use wick.

Carefull not to spill is an understatement. your looking at perminant disfigurement and major hospital time to put it in perspective.

But continue to be creative biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
308 posts

Posted:
Those might work, but what I'm really looking for is actually a bowl with a flared bottom that you hold onto. In the bowl is a kevlar wick attatched or a sterno can that is then lit on fire. Although I've heard of people using liquid fire(no wick), I prefer to use the wick/sterno variety to avoid those nasty burns that spilling liquid can cause and yet get the same looking affect.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
We have a bellydancer in our group who ballances a flaming bowl on her head as she dances. She uses a simple kevlar poi head in the bowl. She uses fancy cotton fabric as insulation for her head. It works great. I'd really suggest some form of wicking. If I'm not mistaken sterno is liquid and has a weak visible flame. A frend of mine from Hollond used cotton balls and lamp oil in little bowls to form a perimeter.

Keep an eye out for a bowl that suits your needs you may find it at a supermarket, you never know. Or you may need to make it yourself in order to fulfill your needs.

Good luck. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
308 posts

Posted:
Any suggestions on how I might insulate my hands from the heat. I would imagine that most metal bowls would transfer the heat down to the base fairly quickly, but the vid I saw of a belly dancer doing this showed no special type of gloves or insulator that I could see & her dance was about 5 min. long. I sure wish I could remember what site I saw that vid on!