Forums > Social Chat > do any fire spinners wear groin protection?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
while merryly spining on the beach or in my garden, or where ever, im am often suddenly doubled up, rithing around on the floor clutching my balls.

this cant go on.

i am fairly worried about my fertilty now.

i know as i get beter it will happen less often, but i think im gonna get one oftheose cricketers box things to save my baby making machinery.
does anyone else experience this problem, and has anyone else solved it? ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

YEY! i got the poi down form under the motorway bridge!

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
Never experienced that, of course I don't have the same "equipment" you do. However, I would like to know how to keep from bashing my nose & boobs while learning new moves, or at least figure out how to protect myself but unless I wear a hockey mask & bubble wrap I think I'm out of luck. Although not as painful as your condition, it still hurts like hell & nobody likes to look at a girl with a bloody nose & bruised boobs.eek
PS Yes I have read the thread on bashing boobies.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Er...no. But i've thought about it - usually when on all fours and gasping. The worst thing about poi is when they tangle from the flutterby they swing down and then are coming up into the underside of yer bits. Killer.

A cricket box'd do the job. But i've been kinda hoping that eventually i'd get good enough that it doesn't happen anymore. And to be fair, it hasn't happened yet this month. But it's only a matter of time. smile

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I've considered it too! again, usually just after a particularly painful thwack! The only reason I don't wear a cricket box, is that I find them really uncomfortable, otherwise I probably would (especially when trying to nail a new move)

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
Is a cricket box your term for a sports cup? Just curious.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Without telling you more than you need to know about me (for Gods sake, just read [Old link] if you want the gory stuff) i have found that different undies make a difference. Trunk style boxers keep everything neatly packed together and usually the poi hit you inna meat rather than inna veg. (Is that acceptable for a family website? wink)

So there ya go.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Yes, for all you non english people, read sports cup for cricket box!

biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Probably not, but on side note which is worse? the full on thump (ooff)or the nasty flick? (yowww) ubbloco

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i wish i did when i was trying to learn buzzsaw isolations...though surprisingly when learning btb weave, my legs close fast enough...

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i just got REALLY REALLY good at dodging REALLY quick

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I wear one. Every time. But I'm a newbie too.

After a couple of hits, for a while there I just did everything reversed. There are still some moves I can only do that way. (You see, reversed you only hit yourself in the head -- which is a) less fragile and b) less valuable (in my case anyway, me bein' a stoopid git 'n all).

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Thats actually the reason a lot of guys i know state for not wanting to learn poi - They start learning, whack themselves a few times simultaneoulsy with both poi while doing butterfly which floors them, and then they decide never again and pick up staff instead rolleyes

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
staffers are virile.
raWr

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
It's dedication to the art when you can take a shot to the nuts and decide its all part of the game wink

Learn to dodge would be the best method... You have to read them and know when things are about to go bad *before* they go bad so you can drop them and scream like a schoolgirl over your close call...

Or wear fairly loose baggy pants in the hopes of stopping them before they connect ubbloco

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
two words ... game on ! suck it up wuss! if you didnt learn the very first time that you whacked yourself , then you didnt hit yourself hard enough! thats all it took me ... 15minutes of rolling around on the ground screaming like the little girl who just won the prize on the radio, and that was it ! from there on i learnt very quickly and i have never hit myself since then!

like lurch, you learn to understand the poi !

* though i do like to scream like a little school girl sometimes, just for the fun of it ! ~ homemade opens up and a little too much comes out ..... ~ *

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I never did, but I always advise new male spinners to. I even warn them: "It's not that you 'MIGHT' smack yourself in the nads, you WILL at the very least once smack yourself in the nads and it will hurt like only getting smacked in the nuts with two speeding tennis balls can."

They never listen, of course, and everyone (well everyone who owns testicles, anyway) ends up curled in a ball on the ground moaning with their hands over their crotch at some point.

Everyone! Without exception!

And then they want me to feel sorry for them! rolleyes

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

456 posts

Posted:
I have to say that I consider twirling burning things around my head quite macho enough for me. This despite the fact that some very petite, pretty, extremely feminine women do it too.

Why not protect yourself to the extent possible? Sheesh. That's the ONLY place it really hurts to get hit (unless you nail a nose or eye, I guess), so it's not like you have to wear a suit of armor. If I hadn't taken to wearing a cup, I would never have learned the forward butterfly. Or much else forward.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
Im not scared.

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

456 posts

Posted:
I believe you, grasshoppah, but I don't see the relevance. "Being scared" =/= "observing reasonable cautions." Else why have someone do safety while spinning fire?

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
grasshoppah's not scared 'casue he's missing the essential equipment to require a cup...........;)

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

456 posts

Posted:
Now, now. Let's not be nasty.

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
Dont be a sissy.

Is that a better way to phrase it?

Im just messing with you.

But FRYED FISH is getting no love from me this evening.

1,489 posts

Posted:
im sad frown

456 posts

Posted:
Well, come to that I've been a sissy my entire life. Not a coward though, as the guys who used to beat me up in HS found out...

But OK. I didn't realize you were being silly; tone of voice doesn't really come across, you know?

Hmm, you and FRYED FISH both live in Tampa FL...would he or she ordinarily get love from you, of an evening?

Just messing with you! :-)

456 posts

Posted:
[pats Fryed Fish on the head]

[yes, the head]

1,489 posts

Posted:
grass is my (other name for female dog) hehehe

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
FRYED FISH and i do indeed know each other. He is an assclown.

Im sorry if i offended you. I dont like getting hit in the cahoots either, but im not scared. It all goes with the territory. If you are going to spin poi, you are going to hit yourself and if you are playing with fire, you will get burned.

1,489 posts

Posted:
im actually asshoppah's imaginary friend, im just a voice in his head ubbloco

456 posts

Posted:
BTW Fryed Fish, you should read a story by Ambrose Bierce called "Oil of Dog." It will delight you and creep you out simultaneously.

1,489 posts

Posted:
ok were could i find it?

456 posts

Posted:
grasshoppah, you did NOT offend me. I thought you were serious and you were just messing. I got burned this very week, as I popped my fire cherry. Next time I will wear long sleeves, and probably get burned less.

I think we actually disagree about protective clothing, but as far as I'm concerned, it's been perfectly civilized and no offense has been taken (or meant) on my part or yours.

Well, your "assclown" pal Fryed Fish might have offended you, but that's between you & him. :-)

Page: