Page:
LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
spinners:
i have long contemplated to idea of starting a poi club at my high school,
now my spinning friends have gotten into the idea, but im still not so sure

the problem is that if its a school club you have to let anyone join, and i would like for this to stay small to prevent the mainstreaming of poi and general hysteria,

but there are some benefits to a school club: convenient place to meet and practice, some official - ness, page in the year book that we get to design.....

i also considered expanding the club to include all kinds of juggling and circus arts

so i guess my questions are:

club or no club?(no club means just me and my friends spining when we get together)
school connected or not?
will having a school club make it to mainstream or not?

any answears would be much appreciated, any other advice from people who have started clubs themselves wold also be great

i think it would be pretty cool to have a high school poi club, because there are so few(im assuming) but as someone so beautifully put it: i dont want poi to be the next yo - yo
thank you

peace, love and spinning

ubbangel ubblove weavesmiley

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Hey lyra. I had exactly the same plan hehe. I wanna start up a group in my area, it sounds like your as confused as me too. I never know where to start, so i figure im just going to make a spider diagram thing and see if it makes more sense.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
what im struggiling with now is that i want to do a school juggling/circus group, but i also want to get all the cincinnati people together, and i dont know if i could do both, in the city we would have enough people to do a just poi group, but oh well, ill sort it out

hey trillian, im listening to colin ubblove

to all those confused, if you dont know about the band Mr.North than you damn well should

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

janiceBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
we started a "poi club" at the highschool.( i only got more involved when they started lighting things on fire ) bascially we had two kinds of active groups here. stoners and skater kids. this poi club is unreal. we have a bunch of kids that come all the time, those that were just "there" got bored and left soon. now that leaves us with about 20 active people and they love it. new years eve these kids got together at "the rave " ( biggest rave we usually have each year) they put on an awsome show. it not only looked cool but it added an unusual aspect which made all the papers here. this poi club is a very positive thing for kids here. as lame as this might sound it gives them one more great reason to keep busy as they all have to push eachother to learn bigger and better tricks. it is great!

in goth we trust

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I suggest you go ahead, because the teachers cant turn around and say 'no its dangerouse' stop doing it if you get it ok'ed and turn it into a school club.

Thats was the attitude in my school would have beem, in england they dont let us have any freedom, if it snows we have to all go inside, if its icy the get teachers to block off any slippery patches, you cant eat candy neclaces in school, they banned yoyos after they became a short trend, girls cant wear makeup (are they scared the male teachers will start shagging the female students?) they took our school bags of us if we wore them on our shoulders in the halls, the list goes on.

It was more like prison than school lol. I wouldnt be surprised if they started taking sharp pencils of the students next ubblol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Page: