Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
do i have to be a clown to get the insurance or can i get it for just poi. i don't want to put on makeup i just want to be covered for public performance

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Nope, it's just a catchy name and they insure lots of clowns. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
However...my underestanding is that it DOES NOT cover you for fire-performing.

Another note, when dealing with insurance, I would never take any advice form anyone on a bulletin board to base a decision on. Only written confirmation from the company itself, both before AND after you take out a policy.

(Trust me on this, I used to work for an insurance company)...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
It was my understanding that Clowns of teh US was the only insurance option for fire performers. I've been meaning to start it, but my fellow burners were accepted and were completely open about fire performing on their application.

Charles, are you saying they will take your money and give you a little card, but won't pull through if an accident happens?

Could you be misunderstanding that they don't cover pyrotechnics? (definition of which could be up to debate)

Nothing in this post shall be written as fact, all ramblings herein are purely the opinion of some random person in BFE nevada. Said opinions shall not be misconstrued, fragmented or taken out of context. If something written in this post can be interpreted two ways and one of those makes you feel hurt, sad, or angry, the other one is intended. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i didn't see anything directly about not covering fire performance

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I've talked with them(this year), and they _DO_ cover fire performers, not only that they have raised the amount of coverage to 2 million. But again, don't take my word for it. Their contact information is on the website, it only takes a second to call or email, why not just go to the source? Last time I checked earlier this year, it was $185 for 2 mil in coverage.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
from their website home page:

"In order to qualify for this entertainer insurance or clown insurance policy, the below criteria needs to be met:
Performers must have a U.S. mailing address.
Policy is available to: clowns, jugglers, magicians, mentalists, balloon twisters, face painters, caricature artists, comedy acts, stage hypnotists, fire dancers , storytellers, aerials, and street performers.
Policy is NOT available to: fireworks, pyrotechnic operations, animals, mammals, fowl, athletic participation, your business, sub-contractors, trackless trains, moonwalks, jump houses or other amusement rides and attractions.

weavesmiley Spin cause ya' gotta!!

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Okay this seems AMAZING! But too amazing. Anyone ever actually try to get this company to pay anyting? I'm worried it could be a scheme....

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
If you are worried about a scheme, ask them who their underwriters are maybe and confirm with them direct if the insurance is valid and if it covers the use of fire in performance.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok you said $185 for 2 mil in coverage. But $185 per what? Per year? Month?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
If I remember correct the $185 is for a year policy. Also I thought that clowns of America changed its name to performers of America. I may be wrong on that but double check incase there is a spoof site. I also have never had to myself or anyone I know filed an actual claim.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Interestin! I'll be sure to check out the underwriters and attempt to figure it out. I don't think I'll ever need it but just having a piece of paper so that I'm "covered" is good enough.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.